AIM 6.1 released

Anyone know what's up with AIM Lite 0.32? I was going to start a thread on it but for some reason the download still gives you 0.31.

On the Aim Lite website, they state that sometime this week there will be a new version of it. They were saying they didn't want to release a premature version as they had made some promises and wanted to make sure all of there promises were in this version.

Yeah, I know. That's a better brand representation than the bland AIM speech bubble.

True. Every messenger has its own brand representation. WLM has the two people, and Yahoo! has the Yahoo! smilie.

R.I.P Running man. :cry:

On the Aim Lite website, they state that sometime this week there will be a new version of it. They were saying they didn't want to release a premature version as they had made some promises and wanted to make sure all of there promises were in this version.

Yes but now there is a post on the new version. http://x.aim.com/laim/

v0.32 Released

What's New, you ask?

-- Better Direct IM support (sending and receiving images w/ drag and drop)

-- Buddy Icon support (drag and drop to profile window)

-- Save custom away messages

-- Privacy support

Ok, we know we said there would be font support. We apologize, but we weren't able to get it into this release. Hopefully will try to get that in for next release.

There are a bunch of other minor changes we've made too, check them out here.

Goals for the next release are chat windows, single sign on support, images in profiles, smilies and, *drum roll please...* font support. ^_^

The "Download Now" button at the top still goes to 0.31.

No changelog available. Probably some minor changes if at all (Greg?). There are still some Known Issues.

They include (special/major problems listed in bold):
  • Changes made to the entries in your Contact List are not synced to your Buddy List except during your first sign on with the client.
  • Edit/Add Contact window launched from Address Book (AIM -- Address Book) does not respect selected color theme.
  • Unable to send chat invitation if the chat room name includes non-alphanumeric characters.
  • Clicking the Away message indicator on Buddy List launches Manage Away Messages window - New behavior.
  • The Contacts and Buddies tabs have been removed from the Buddy List window. Use the Address List in View menu or Control - Tab to toggle between the two lists.
  • Clicking "Share It" link on Radio with a screen name highlighted in Buddy List does not populate IM form with the screen name.
  • Buddy List: Ampersands in body of Away message are entitized in Away Status indicator.
  • Buddy List Filter/Sort settings are not saved to/loaded from the host (Sort By, Away/Idle Buddies, Mobile Buddies, Friendly Names).
  • Attempting to add screen name to group with max buddies returns incorrect '..invalid name' message.
  • Docked Buddy List does not appear in Applications tab of the Task Manager, and cannot be switched to with the keyboard.
  • The buddy tooltip for a SN that is set as Away shows HTML tags (such as breaks), if buddy set Away message with carriage return after %n, %d, or %t.
  • Features that require flash may not work properly because obtaining the correct version of Flash for Vista may be difficult.
  • AIM 6.1 does not offer full Proxy support - Visit Test Instructions for more details.
  • AIM 6.1's sounds can still be heard after switching Windows user sessions on XP.
  • Vista: Other: AOLLoade.exe runs after machine boots and uses maximum system CPU.
  • Note: Kindly submit a bug report if you run across this issue.
  • On the Buddy Info web page, special characters [%d, %t] are not converted to proper date and time values.

• Adding special characters in My Buddy Info or Edit Away forms, strips any text highlight color from the Buddy Info or Away message contents on the Buddy Profile form.

• VoIP/AIM Phoneline: Unable to receive incoming call connecting via Linksys SRX 400 router.

• Windows Vista: With the OS's Speech Recognition turned on, the screenreader/high-contrast UI mode is used for AIM .
  • Screen name formatting is not retained when AIM Digits are enabled on AIM only name.
  • Click-to-Dial a phone number via File > AOL > Address Book > View Contact Info does not initiate a phone call.
  • Smileys are no longer displayed in quickview tooltip.
  • AIM Radio: Jaws does not read Radio command buttons.
  • Sign On screen appears partially or mostly behind Windows taskbar if AIM is launched after docking the taskbar on the right side of the screen.
  • AOL Toolbar does not get installed on reinstalling the build,once user uninstalls AIM 6.0 and AOL Toolbar.
  • SuperBuddy Icon turns static and wallpaper disappears when you sign on simultaneously to another AIM client.

• Clicking the IM button with a group highlighted does not open a chat invitation.
  • 'An Unknown Failure Occurred' message is displayed when originator sends text to recipient of ongoing Instant Images transfer .
  • Connect issues when trying to establish EIMs with symmetric NAT.
  • Video images at dialup user end freezes for more than 2 minutes when live video session is established between DSL and Dial Up users
  • Feature is not compatible with iChat.
  • Assertion failure in NX6000FormatConverter.cpp when starting a video session with MS LifeCam NX6000
  • Workaround: Click past assertion error
  • Live video session may fail if built-in camera in HP machines is used in session.
  • No error message received when camera is in use with another application. (Happens with some cameras.)
  • Unplugging and Re-plugging the ‘Creative Web Cam Vista’ web cam back to the USB port to which it was plugged in earlier stops working.With Logitech UltraVision webcam's built-in microphone, audio quality for A/V sessions is extremely distorted [if 'Suppress Background Noise' is set in Logitech Audio Wizard; apparently needs fix by Logitech] ech] .On the low end PC's Live Video has Functionality and Performance issues. ues. The Away Settings have been removed. You are expected to manage your Away messages via the Manage Away Message window.ndow.Apply button does not enable when selecting a font via More Fonts in General IM Settings.ings.

PS. The full installer lin:p/url]. :p

If you have still having the issues above, you can still file a bug report and leave any feedback.

On to the next beta! Irumorrumor that there will be Aero support for the next beta.

Edited by MchWalte

On to the next beta! I heard a rumor that there will be Aero support for the next beta.

Sounds interesting. I wonder if full WPF or just basic support.

I don't use this. I use Gaim.... but I have a question. If you insert a picture into your profile, will it be viewable with any other client or only if you are running aim6.1?

I sense basic.

That's what I'm thinking to, although both Yahoo! Messenger for Vista and Maxthon 2 prove that applications can blend very well into the Aero Glass environment.

okay I just noticed this so I dont know if it's a bug on my part or on AIM's part, but does anyone else have a problem when changing smilies to something other than the default ones and then when you go to create an away message the default smilies still appear? if it's a bug on my part how would i change that?

Yeah no real changes between the beta 3 client that was released last week and this one. AIM Lite has now been updated, and in fact we already turned on auto upgrade on for AIM Lite.

To be honest, I have not heard any aero or WPF rumors on AIM...but you never know. ;)

Check out my blog, I just posted a little hack that you can do to the AIM 6.1 client to change the UI.

Oh wow, what a great feature. Thanks a lot for sharing!

Hopefully Ad Hack is updated to reflect the GM client soon so I could use it.

Check out my blog, I just posted a little hack that you can do to the AIM 6.1 client to change the UI.

Now that looks hot :) ...you should take the little hack and expand on it and make a "theme" tab in the aim "settings" or replace the "style" tab in "settings" with something else so that can you can control and customize your theme with whatever you chose of your likings...like have maybe two or three themes that are color themes like the default theme and the black theme are 2 you could include and also include another theme that uses the current os theme as a look. And then if the "Current OS theme" is the vista aero theme, have a little checkbox setting that gives the user the option to "Enable Aero WPF Enhancements" which will enable the "Current OS theme" to add visual features that take advantage of the WPF in vista similar to how yahoo is making their new theme taking advantage of WPF. You don't have to implement it exactly like this, but it's just an idea I would throw out there which seeing now that it wouldn't be too hard to implement if I was guessing.

working on our end..

*ponders enabling the ui hack by default if possible*, that is, assuming it creates an option, and doesnt force black.. or an option on install.. or something..

meh :p

working on our end..

*ponders enabling the ui hack by default if possible*, that is, assuming it creates an option, and doesnt force black.. or an option on install.. or something..

Take your time, but hurry up! :) Good thinking on making it default, but I don't know if you'll be able to make it an option.

Thanks for everything.

working on our end..

Waiting for the oh so famous AIM Ad hax0r. :s