Sega Confirms Wii NiGHTS For U.S. This Fall

Sega Confirms Wii NiGHTS For U.S. This Fall

Following a flurry of internet reports and speculation over the past week, Sega of America has confirmed the upcoming release of a new NiGHTS game for the Nintendo Wii, with an expected stateside release window this fall.

While little else is yet known about the title, known as NiGHTS: Journey of Dreams, Sega has promised "a heightened sense of gliding, spiraling, and looping through seven mystical dream worlds," presumably featuring much of the same aerial platforming style gameplay exhibited by the original, now through the use of the Wii's motion sensitive controls.

According to a number of Japanese reports, the game is being created by SonicTeam USA, with Takashi Iizuka being charged with producing the highly anticipated follow up to the Sega Saturn clasic. Released in 1996, the original told a story of two children who enter a dream world in order to combat demons and prevent the real world from being overrun with the help of the jester-like flying acrobat NiGHTS.

"In 1996, we created the NiGHTS character to achieve a concept of 'being refreshed from being able to fly in the sky'," commented Izuka in a statement made to Japanese press. "11 years later, at last, we have broken our silence. NiGHTS will now fly in a new dream world: new stages, new story, and on the new Wii platform."

Source: Gamasutra

can't wait for this :)

but sonicteam's working on it, so i'm a little skeptical. i'm hoping for the best though.

it depends what sonic team they are mentioning there. AM8 The original staff lead by "YU2" or Sega's new guys who did STH for the PS3 and 360.

I'll be worrying about this games quality like crazy until it comes out. I just can't trust sega anymore. They need to get their act together. The 3 different mask concept (mentioned on ign) in particular is horrifying to me. It sounds too much like switching characters in sonic heroes. I detested that clunky game to no end. So any feature that I see resemble it makes me wish sega wasn't in charge of franchises I love. I can only hope that this turns out as good as the original and lacks the glitches, horrible camera, clunky horrible gameplay, poor poor poor production values, etc that have been the staple of sega games. Also, until they reveal the motion controls and prove that they aren't a horrible gimmick I will not be happy. Even if they are creative and great uses of the motion control I still have faith that sega will botch the implementation.

Ack, I sound like I hate sega. I really just want them to try harder and make great games again. As it is right now I kind of wish the gameplay was the same as on the saturn (the same evolutionary approach ssbb appears to be taking).

• 3 weeks later...
Graphics are nothing special but this game will be all about the control :D

They have to get this one right.. because Secret Rings is really frustrating on controls...

it depends what sonic team they are mentioning there. AM8 The original staff lead by "YU2" or Sega's new guys who did STH for the PS3 and 360.

It's the new guys.

They have to get this one right.. because Secret Rings is really frustrating on controls...

Amen.

It's the new guys.

:| Aw man, I tried so hard to like that game.

It's the new guys.

I was curious why Sonic Team's logo never showed during the disc reads..

That's ashame.. even secret rings shows that it lost touch with it's classic charm.