foobar2000 v0.9.4.3 beta!

I love foobar but the author is either swamped with his personal life or doesn't care much about the project anymore. Development has really slowed down recently.

Bangbang023, development of foobar2000 always was erratic - first author releases quickly a bunch of updates, then half year wait, then again quick releases. It was the same between 0.7 and 0.8, between 0.8 and 0.9, and I expect it to be the same now - and with future 1.0 :rolleyes:

It's just, disappointing, I guess. I started on the internet with my own connection in, what, 99, 2000ish and there was always exciting media player development to follow. Winamp, QCD, Sonique, etc and everything seems stagnant now. I like how foobar2000 gives me power to customize while still using the default Windows interface, but man, I hope he has something big planned.

^^

honestly i cant see how Foobar could be better. everything you want is either in it or there is plugin

Personally, I'd love to see software take advantage of WPF and include functionality and visual appeal. Vista is here and this would be a huge advantage to the first team to get a pretty/functional app out the door enhanced for the OS.

I doubt the developer is interested in prettying up the app natively. Foobar would lose its low memory advantage once it becomes more graphical. On the other hand, the plug ins that are responsible for customization can upgrade to Vista's standards.

Also, building a native WPF app would leave users of older OSes in the dark right?

I doubt the developer is interested in prettying up the app natively. Foobar would lose its low memory advantage once it becomes more graphical. On the other hand, the plug ins that are responsible for customization can upgrade to Vista's standards.

Also, building a native WPF app would leave users of older OSes in the dark right?

Yes, it would leave them in the dark, but the same happened with XP development and 9x users being left in the dark, though it, admittedly, happened later down the line.

While I don't see foobar being the application to do it, I'm anxious for WPF support and use. This is where the visual appeal of Vista over, say, a themed XP install is suppsoed to shine through.

My comments, in general, were aimed at the media player market, as a whole. There's been little innovation, as of late, and it bugs me.

Personally, I'd love to see software take advantage of WPF and include functionality and visual appeal. Vista is here and this would be a huge advantage to the first team to get a pretty/functional app out the door enhanced for the OS.

That will probably never happened with Foobar, it goes against like the core concepts of FB2K or something lol.. But perhaps a 3rd party plugin developer may make those dreams come true as that has happened in the past