Estimated 700,000+ iPhones sold over the weekend

http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/07/03/iph...aks.att.record/

Apple over the weekend sold more than 700,000 iPhones to rocket past analyst predictions and shatter AT&T's record by selling more iPhones in three days than Motorola's RAZR did in its first month. Apple's supply of iPhones depleted at more than half of its retail stores less than a week after the cellular handset hit shelves at 6:00 p.m. ET last Friday night. Buyers cleared out both Apple and AT&T stores in 10 states, with 95 of 164 stores selling out on Monday night, according to Bloomberg.
Apple sold around half a million iPhones the first weekend the device went on sale, one analyst firm has estimated.

Piper Jaffray's Gene Munster released a report Sunday night estimating that Apple sold about 500,000 units from 6 p.m. Friday through the close of business Sunday. Going into the weekend Munster thought Apple would sell 200,000 on Friday and Saturday.

Despite low supply at AT&T stores and activation issues, it appears that the iPhone era at Apple got off to a good start. Piper Jaffray said Apple had iPhones available in each one of its stores on Saturday, and in 84 percent of its stores Sunday.

Ninety-five percent of iPhone buyers in San Francisco, New York and Minneapolis (home to Piper Jaffray's offices) purchased the 8GB model, according to a survey conducted by the firm. About half were new customers for AT&T, at least among the 253 people surveyed for the report.

SOURCE

*EDIT* MORE SOURCES (Estimates up to 525,000):

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ipho...1&cset=true

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/02/500-000...-apple-keep-u

*EDIT* 700,000!?

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/03/can-app...-iphone-demand/

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=news

Edited by Ritsuke

That's funny. I was under the impression that Apple only had 400,000 to sell with this first shipment. At least, that's what Apple said, but what do they know. And considering many places didn't sell out, the figure would be less than 400k.

Either way I'm sure Apple sold a lot and is probably pleased at the moment.

-Spenser

I'd say...

That means Apple sold close to $300,000,000 in cellphones over the weekend.

Average out some numbers with 2-year commitments, and this little device (over the weekend) has generated around 1 BILLION smackers... Again, in the first weekend.

Has there been a more successful consumer-level launch product?

^Windows 95?

Nope. :( They might have sold a million copies in 4 days, but if we are talking units, there are a lot of things to usurp this.

Didn't Halo 2 have over a million pre-orders? I'd say Win95 is close, though, if we don't include the 2-year commitment fees.

Crazy people or not, those numbers are insane.

Nope. :( They might have sold a million copies in 4 days, but if we are talking units, there are a lot of things to usurp this.

Didn't Halo 2 have over a million pre-orders? I'd say Win95 is close, though, if we don't include the 2-year commitment fees.

Crazy people or not, those numbers are insane.

If it was out in the UK then I would of gone and bought one...:D

If it was out in the UK then I would of gone and bought one...:D

After getting my hands on one saturday, it took a lot of willpower...not...to...buy... :cry:

I really want to wait for a few revisions and for my current plan to end. :)

I can't imagine the numbers if this were a worldwide or multiple-nation launch.

Motorola Razr? :unsure:

Just speaking of launch numbers. :)

After getting my hands on one saturday, it took a lot of willpower...not...to...buy... :cry:

Yeah when I touched a macbook pro I got my credit card out...sadly I had no money on it but it was just my instinct :shifty:

Didn't the razr cost about the same price as the iPhone when it first came out? Plus that phone never did sell well when it first came out, it took awhile for the price to come down before people started getting on the Razr bandwagon.

Didn't the razr cost about the same price as the iPhone when it first came out? Plus that phone never did sell well when it first came out, it took awhile for the price to come down before people started getting on the Razr bandwagon.

I know it cost alot when it came out because I wanted one...they are still quite pricey...

I must say that the biggest improvement I've seen so far over any other smartphone is the interface. The UI is just mindblowingly easy to navigate and use compared to other smartphones.

And just think the numbers could be much higher if they would have just said yes to full 3rd party apps and not just web apps.

I know a number of people in the health profession that would have bought it if it had support for epocrates and the like without relying on the web or wifi which is just not reliable in many hospitals still.

Impressive numbers without a shadow of doubt. I guess Jobs estimation of capturing 1% of the market is well on course especially when the it hits other shores.

Impressive numbers without a shadow of doubt. I guess Jobs estimation of capturing 1% of the market is well on course especially when the it hits other shores.

And bounces off the intractible walls of a market that likes their phones to actually be up to date... :p