Microsoft Confirms Windows "7" - MGX Conference

I'm surprised none of the NeoWin News Staff didn't see this. There is more to Windows rumors than Paul Thurrott.

Microsoft officials told MGX attendees that the company is currently internally planning Windows Seven. So far, the company has determined Windows Seven will come in both 32- and 64-bit flavors. No word on how many SKUs or any kind of guidance on features was provided, but Microsoft did say it would address both consumer and business segments with Windows Seven. Microsoft is mulling the concept of how to extend Windows Seven with subscription-based services, according to the deck ? more like Microsoft Desktop Optimization Pack (MDOP), which Microsoft currently offers to its Software Assurance customers, than Windows Live, however.

Read more here

Bit disappointed to hear that instead of taking the plunge and going 64 bit mainstream, Microsoft has chosen to prolong the life of the old 32 bit architecture. Otherwise, interesting news.

They shouldn't force it yet... lot's of people don't have money to upgrade yet.. plus im not giving away my p4 3.0ghz just because. Benefits of 64 architecture is in sight and everyone can see it. Its a matter of time till everyone upgrades.

They shouldn't force it yet... lot's of people don't have money to upgrade yet.. plus im not giving away my p4 3.0ghz just because. Benefits of 64 architecture is in sight and everyone can see it. Its a matter of time till everyone upgrades.

if people can't afford to upgrade their pc in 3 years (or however long it's going to take for microsoft to release windows 7) do you really think they should even bother purchasing and installing windows 7?

Having just the 64bit version will make it a lot easier to manage than having to also worry about 32bit.

if people can't afford to upgrade their pc in 3 years (or however long it's going to take for microsoft to release windows 7) do you really think they should even bother purchasing and installing windows 7?

Having just the 64bit version will make it a lot easier to manage than having to also worry about 32bit.

Agreed. I think they did a good thing by making Windows Vista in both variants, however:

Every computer bought in the last year will be 64 bit, and Windows 7 isn't for at least another 2- 3 years.

This means that a non-64 bit computer will be almost 4 years old, at which stage, the idea of installing a new OS release on it is silly.

Take the plunge, go with 64 bit support, force great driver support, simplify things!

Chris

Bit disappointed to hear that instead of taking the plunge and going 64 bit mainstream, Microsoft has chosen to prolong the life of the old 32 bit architecture. Otherwise, interesting news.

DRivers!!!

Another thing people must think of is the fact that with vista they practically require a dx9 card (for aero of course, i do realise however that its not a forced requirement since you can run in basic mode without aero) so why not push the cards a lot further. I say its fair game for 3-4 years out to demand 64bit or no new OS. ESPECIALLY when there is no drawback to using AMD64 (except for 16bit apps not working, like old dos and 3.1 software, but i find that a lot of old 16bit stuff doesnt even work in vista 32bit so its not much of a loss).

By then dx9/10 card + a 64bit processor should be baseline requirements. Not to mention didnt microsoft say server 2008 was the last 32bit server OS?

The faster microsoft forces things like 64bit, multi cores, virtualisation via on die hypervisor the faster we get better driver support and better application support to make use of these features. (well you cant really force multi cores, but you understand were im going with it)

Do it like Apple, one version, all that you need, or two, home and business.

what if you dont want everything, only a few features, or cant afford to have them all?

what if you dont want everything, only a few features, or cant afford to have them all?

then microsoft can price windows better, as if an operating system should cost as much as vista ultimate does ...

Am I only one here who doesn't like the idea of a subscription service? :no:

We're still gonna be able to buy Windows the old fashioned way, though.

Choice = good :yes:

then microsoft can price windows better, as if an operating system should cost as much as vista ultimate does ...

if you dont like the price then dont buy it. you dont have a right to buy the OS. Theyre in it to make as much money as they can

I reckon if you're still using a P4 3.0Ghz in 2010 then it's tragic.

I hope Microsoft re-considers shipping a 32 bit Windows "7", it's time to let go of the old x86 codebase IMHO

So going by Microsofts track record with choice we could be looking at somewhere in the region of 24 variations of Windows 7 - six 32 bit variations for 32bit only pc's, six 64 bit variations for users who have updated/bought new pc's and twelve subscription possibilities for both 32 and 64 bit pc's.

I'm all for choice but that would be ridiculous. :laugh:

So going by Microsofts track record with choice we could be looking at somewhere in the region of 24 variations of Windows 7 - six 32 bit variations for 32bit only pc's, six 64 bit variations for users who have updated/bought new pc's and twelve subscription possibilities for both 32 and 64 bit pc's.

I'm all for choice but that would be ridiculous. :laugh:

And people thought that Vista had too many choices ;)

i have to say I am very fearful of their "subscription services" - This has the potential to get ugly.

They 'll give you a halfed-assed firewall because onecare has a better one, a crappy anti-spyware tool, cuz they are sellling a better one, etc.

Let's face it, with microsoft's record we will receive a half-way done OS and be expected to pay for their subscription services to get their "Ultimate" experience. I can already see this getting people disillusioned with the next windows because of this (kind of what has happened with vista).

Then again, this is nothing more than very early speculation, a real judgement cannot be passed until we actually try this.

Nice :) saw this at Engadget, i like the idea of subscription based service but i would like them to scrap x86 and go x64.

Hopefully then will reconsider their strategy for marketing it.

I'm wildly frustrated by Microsoft's 365 SKUs policy. It frustrates customers and only gets them more money for less from the customers... I mean... If they built a nice version of Windows, why not release it? Get it out in a way that everyone can see how GREAT Windows can be!

I'm wildly frustrated by Microsoft's 365 SKUs policy. It frustrates customers and only gets them more money for less from the customers... I mean... If they built a nice version of Windows, why not release it? Get it out in a way that everyone can see how GREAT Windows can be!

I know you are exaggerating, but there are only six Windows Vista SKUs.

Starter Edition: Only available in developing in markets in continents such as Asia and countries such as Russia, Mexico and Brazil to name a few. And you can only get it on new PCs through OEM, you can't buy it off shelf. The OEM cost is said to be $30 to $40. It meets the needs of most persons in these markets who don't need Bitlocker Drive Encryption, Media Center, Meeting Space.

Home Basic: This is considered to the mainstream SKU for most home users, targetting persons with only one PC or basic needs, you get tools ensure that your PC runs efficiently and is protected, also there are features such as being able to burn CDs, manage your photos, instantly find your files.

Home Premium: For homes with with multiple PCs or persons who own laptops/Tablet PCs, who want more flash provided by Windows AERO, Flip 3D, Mobility Center for managing your laptop or Tablet PC. Meeting space for collaborating and sharing documents, watching and recording TV with Media Center, connecting your XBOX 360 and stream content from it to your TV.

Business: Instant Search, Windows AERO, Laptop/Tablet PC support, Meeting Space, Advanced Backup, Remote Desktop, ability to join a Domain if you are on a corporate network.

Enterprise: Everything in Business SKU, with support for multi-lingual companies with with many companies, making it easier to deploy regardless of user machine or language. Sub-system for Unix systems. You can only acquire this through a SA or EA contract, which means you are paying in the ranges of thousands of dollars, basically its out of average users reach.

Ultimate: Best of both worlds, you get every from the consumer and business branches. If you have Tablet PC you use at both home and work.

So, Microsoft is meeting the needs of different types of users, not everybody wants XBOX or Media Center or Tablet or Unix System or Multi-Lingual or Domain Join support.

I know you are exaggerating, but there are only six Windows Vista SKUs.

Starter Edition: Only available in developing in markets in continents such as Asia and countries such as Russia, Mexico and Brazil to name a few. And you can only get it on new PCs through OEM, you can't buy it off shelf. The OEM cost is said to be $30 to $40. It meets the needs of most persons in these markets who don't need Bitlocker Drive Encryption, Media Center, Meeting Space.

Home Basic: This is considered to the mainstream SKU for most home users, targetting persons with only one PC or basic needs, you get tools ensure that your PC runs efficiently and is protected, also there are features such as being able to burn CDs, manage your photos, instantly find your files.

Home Premium: For homes with with multiple PCs or persons who own laptops/Tablet PCs, who want more flash provided by Windows AERO, Flip 3D, Mobility Center for managing your laptop or Tablet PC. Meeting space for collaborating and sharing documents, watching and recording TV with Media Center, connecting your XBOX 360 and stream content from it to your TV.

Business: Instant Search, Windows AERO, Laptop/Tablet PC support, Meeting Space, Advanced Backup, Remote Desktop, ability to join a Domain if you are on a corporate network.

Enterprise: Everything in Business SKU, with support for multi-lingual companies with with many companies, making it easier to deploy regardless of user machine or language. Sub-system for Unix systems. You can only acquire this through a SA or EA contract, which means you are paying in the ranges of thousands of dollars, basically its out of average users reach.

Ultimate: Best of both worlds, you get every from the consumer and business branches. If you have Tablet PC you use at both home and work.

So, Microsoft is meeting the needs of different types of users, not everybody wants XBOX or Media Center or Tablet or Unix System or Multi-Lingual or Domain Join support.

Starter edition - can't buy it here

Home basic - home premium provides more for a better price

Enterprise - only if you're in an enterprise do you even have to think about this

so really, there's only 3 practical SKUs, Home Premium, Business, and Ultimate