France unveils anti-piracy plan

French web users caught pirating movies or music could soon be thrown offline.

Those illegally sharing files will face the loss of their net access thanks to a newly-created anti-piracy body granted the wide-ranging powers.

The anti-piracy body comes out of a deal agreed by France's music and movie makers and its net firms.

The group who brokered the deal said the measures were intended to curb casual piracy rather than tackle large scale pirate groups.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy said the deal was a "decisive moment for the future of a civilised internet".

Net firms will monitor what their customers are doing and pass on information about persistent pirates to the new independent body. Those identified will get a warning and then be threatened with either being cut off or suspended if they do not stop illegal file-sharing.

The agreement between net firms, record companies, film-makers and government was drawn up by a special committee created to look at the problem of the net and cultural protection.

Denis Olivennes, head of the French chain store FNAC, who chaired the committee said current penalties for piracy - large fines and years in jail - were "totally disproportionate" for those young people who do file-share illegally.

In return for agreeing to monitor net use, film-makers agreed to speed up the transfer of movies to DVD and music firms pledged to support DRM-free tracks on music stores.

The deal was hailed by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI), which represents the global interests of the music business.

"This is the single most important initiative to help win the war on online piracy that we have seen so far," it said in a statement.

French consumer group UFC Que Choisir was more cautious.

It said the agreement was "very tough, potentially destructive of freedom, anti-economic and against digital history".

Source

Wouldn't something like this though breach right to privacy? Other countries have tried things like this before and it's always ended up getting overturned.

What is file sharing? Now thesedays, i bet having a network of 2 computers and sending a spreadsheet now is consider file sharing. ISPs and other companys need to calm down with stupid rules like that

I can see people getting in trouble by sending a song over msn to a friend, and losing the net over that, as that is p2p too.

That's sad. I can see a lot of problems with this new law, I understand it makes sense but to what degree does it go to.

Oh well, doesn't affect me, wonder when other parts of the world will use this tho, maybe it will be a stepping stone for other countries to see how it works out, if it does well I can see the US grabbing this law as privacy laws aren't that great there and RIAA/MPAA will love to use this as a tool to stomp on people more.

This is no different than the DMCA in America. Right now, ISPs have the power to cut off your internet access that violates their Acceptable Use Policy....they just don't choose to, because they'll lose a customer when they do.

Denis Olivennes, head of the French chain store FNAC, who chaired the committee said current penalties for piracy - large fines and years in jail - were "totally disproportionate" for those young people who do file-share illegally.

*silent applause*

but try getting the RIAA to adapt such a policy :rofl:

Here's an analogy for you:

How about every time you go to class, you have to use someone else's pen or pencil to do your work or take your test, and the teacher / professor kicks you out when they find out about it for the sole reason it is your responsibility to make sure you have the proper utensil to write with?

Is it fair that other people have to pay for extra (or pay extra for) pens or pencils just so that you can do your work?

hmmm...

What if you're the person lending out extra pens or pencils and never get them back? It's only a few cents, maybe a dollar or so, for a pencil or pen, but lending out a hundred of them could cost quite a lot.

On the other hand, if it is illegal... POINT BLANK: you shouldn't do it.

But if you think it should be legal you should be getting involved in government and elections and try to get the laws changed.

Just because you don't think it is illegal does not give you the authority to do it without repercussion.

Lawmakers decide the punishments. Lawmakers are typically chosen by the people.

Make the lawmakers change it... if it is not right...

... or change the lawmakers.

***edit-

I guess the counter-argument would be that you wouldn't be borrowing pencils, only copies of the writing.

Edited by Regression_88