CNet rates Vista one of "worst products in history"

Windows Vista

Any operating system that provokes a campaign for its predecessor's reintroduction deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that quietly has a downgrade-to- previous-edition option introduced for PC makers deserves to be classed as terrible technology. Any operating system that takes six years of development but is instantly hated by hordes of PC professionals and enthusiasts deserves to be classed as terrible technology.

Windows Vista conforms to all of the above. Its incompatibility with hardware, its obsessive requirement of human interaction to clear security dialogue box warnings and its abusive use of hated DRM, not to mention its general pointlessness as an upgrade, are just some examples of why this expensive operating system earns the final place in our terrible tech list.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gadgets/0,39029552...3700-10,00.htm#

LOL

Like CNET is a trusted source.

Aren't they the same people that always get 8.0-9.5 / 10 on Norton/Symantec products? That should tell you something right there lol

i realize cnet is jumping on the vista bashing wagon for hits, however...

what is the last software product that has received THIS much negative attention? it seems as though the bashing has some valid points. i am using, and will continue to use vista x64 since i prefer all 4 gig of my memory to be usable (over xp pro x86) but have to wonder if there are some serious issues ms needs to fix. i haven't found anything major (windows live installer won't run on 64bit yet, pretty sad imo) but that's not exclusive to vista.

just adding my comments, so that i feel important in my own mind.

what is the last software product that has received THIS much negative attention?

Windows XP.

If you don't believe it, go read the early reviews, through XP SP1 being a sore disappointment, and even the claims that SP2 was so bad that it would bring about the apocalypse.

Let's face reality folks. Vista was not what we expected it to be. The OS needs a lot of work. It has a lot of bugs, the system requirements are simply ridiculous and abusive. You basically need a new PC to run the darn thing. Trying to find things in Vista takes forever. XP is way faster and easier to use than Vista. Why do you think Microsoft is releasing Windows 7 in 2010 instead of 2013 or 2014? (remember Windows ME?) They know they messed up big time and they know most people are not happy with Vista, especially companies such as Acer and Dell. I have tried many times to upgrade to Vista but I seem to keep going back to XP everytime just because I can't find anything on Vista and I simply hate the way it runs...slow.

and its abusive use of hated DRM,

huh? what DRM? you mean the DRM built into WMP? That's been there for ages! I want to know where there is more DRM in Vista then there is in XP?

anyways... CNet originally called Windows XP one of the worst products in history also... so much has changed since 2001 huh?

Why do you think Microsoft is releasing Windows 7 in 2010 instead of 2013 or 2014? They know they messed up big time and they know most people are not happy with Vista

Might want to remember when Vista was projected for and when it ended up getting released. It had nothing to do with MS thinking they screwed up. Windows 7 will be delayed.

Xp was bashed just as much when it came out. In one of the other topics somebody else linked to an old article claiming that people should stick with windows 2000 over xp when xp was released.

Xp was not widely adopted till sp2.

Right now vista is going along just like xp was when it was released.

huh? what DRM? you mean the DRM built into WMP? That's been there for ages! I want to know where there is more DRM in Vista then there is in XP?

anyways... CNet originally called Windows XP one of the worst products in history also... so much has changed since 2001 huh?

"CNet originally called Windows XP one of the worst products in history also"

True. Very true, but like I said before in other posts, Vista wasn't ready for prime-time yet. MS should have waited at least one more year before releasing it to the market. Do more testing and work the bugs out. Vista was an unfinished product (remember Windows ME?). Same fate. Windows ME was never tested properly and was unfinished when it was released. I am sure that if MS would have taken more time with Windows ME, it would have been a good OS but they hurried it out the door just like Vista and bad criticism, unhappy customers and bad reviews are the consequences of such an act.

The beta did not, the final version does: https://www.neowin.net/news/software/07/11/...ler-12014711025

Not on XP 64-bit, only Vista 64-bit I guess. I just tried.

In terms of Cnet their reviews aren't that great, they said bad things about my Sony digicam and well I didn't find it bad at all.

Them rating Vista as a "terrible tech product" I wouldn't call it terrible, but I wouldn't call it great. It's ok I guess, I wouldn't buy or recommend it tho. I still prefer XP at the moment. I've tried SP1 and it is making improvments but not enough to make me switch over to the free copy I got for testing the OS.

And I agrree with Scorbing, they were pressured as it was late already and they had to throw it out the window to make people happy, yet in the end the majority of people I know hate Vista and went back to XP.

Any operating system that quietly has a downgrade-to- previous-edition option introduced for PC makers

Gee, I wonder why. Ah, it's giving customers a choice to use either operating system, which equals... more sales for MS!

Any operating system that takes six years of development but is instantly hated by hordes of PC professionals and enthusiasts

Change "of development" to "on the Web" and "operating system" to "site" and that describes them perfectly, like how they do their reviews, i.e. pitting Internet Explorer 7 to Firefox 2 using the 'knockout' metaphor.

not to mention its general pointlessness as an upgrade,

Personal feelings count as factual reasons? :blink:

I suspect the reviewer in question figured a smear article like this is a perfect way to get more hits => extra salary => free hardware upgrades.

MS just wanted to release their OS before Apple did theirs and it turned out to be a mistake as many people I know are considering either to stay with XP or jump to a Mac. Vista sales have been nothing but dissapointing.