NVIDIA to launch GeForce 9 series in February

Nvidia is ready for its next-generation GPU launch. According to sources at graphics card makers, the company plans to launch its GeForce 9 series GPU after the Lunar New Year in February.

The first chip to rollout of in GeForce 9 family will be the D9E, a high-end product that adopts 65nm manufacturing. The new product will also support DirectX 10.1 and Shader Model 4.1, revealed the sources.

In addition to the D9E, Nvidia will roll out a mid-range GeForce 9 family product named D9P in June 2008. The new GPU will adopt 55nm processing, the sources pointed out.

http://www.digitimes.com/mobos/a20071129PD216.html

Free AA yet?

Free? I don't know. What I do know is that 4xAA is compulsory for DirectX? 10.1 games.

My 8800GTX serves me well enough, runs Crysis butter smooth maxed at the res I play it at on my other PC, so I doubt I'll be getting a S9 card - but you never know.

just curious, you guys that are planning to skip the 8800 GT. Are you guys planning to get the high end model in February or wait til June for the midrange?

Seems to me like 8800 GT will be the only choice for midrange (barring any ATI interventions) until June? unless that refresh of the 8800 GTS 640mb comes out sexy and a little closer to 300 bucks

I also dont plan on getting a 9 series, but we'll see. Maybe the benchmarks will rock my socks off :) Im hoping for crysis playable at ultra high settings on the 20inch and up monitors in their natural resolution. (Think it will happen?) Right now just running 1680x1050 at all medium settings. Can run high but gets a little laggy at parts, hoping the new drivers and next patch update will make it run smooth at high :)

So no mid-range 9 series card until June 2008? That would actually mean getting a 8800GT is a wonderful choice for the following year or so, considering DX10.1 isn't going to be a necessity anytime soon, and we have quite a handful of months before sanely-priced GF9 cards arrive.

Unless I'm misunderstanding that article, that is. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: missed Imnotrichey's post by a bit. He conveys the same point i was trying to (or did).

^But if those 9800's make the same jump that the 8800's did over the competition it may be totally worth spending the additional 150 (assuming the base 9800 is $400) to get a 9800. Haha thats also assuming the 8800 GT ever drops down to 250. Either way, its good to finally get a word on these cards coming out. Cant wait for the benchmarks :)

Seems to me like 8800 GT will be the only choice for midrange (barring any ATI interventions) until June?

It's not even a mid-range card anymore, with all the stores selling most models for $300+ by pretending they're out of stock. You've gotta be desperate or nuts to buy an 8800 GT for $300, for technology that's now over a year old (just a die shrink, and a *worse* cooler design). I wonder how long they're going to keep this up?

Prices were supposed to come down, and the new 512MB and 640MB GTSes were supposed to take over the <$400 price range. Yeah, the performance on these cards is good, but there is still no "mid-range" $200-250 card now like Nvidia planned this to be. If you check prices on the 3870s, they've gone up in price too.

Free? I don't know. What I do know is that 4xAA is compulsory for DirectX? 10.1 games.

Yeah, I've read that, but I remembered hearing how the next nVidia cards would support free AA like the 360 (and I think PS3, right?) do... guess not.

Free AA is where the Anti-Aliasing is effectively performance free, that is, it can do anti-aliasing without having an effect on the framerate. The 360's Xenos graphics chip has an edram unit that allows it to do 4xMSAA with a minimal to nonexistent impact on performance, but it's effective and possible on the 360 because of the limited resolution support on Consoles; PCs are more complicated to do it with because of the vast range of resolutions they can do. I don't think the PS3 has an equivalent unit.

Free AA is where the Anti-Aliasing is effectively performance free, that is, it can do anti-aliasing without having an effect on the framerate. The 360's Xenos graphics chip has an edram unit that allows it to do 4xMSAA with a minimal to nonexistent impact on performance, but it's effective and possible on the 360 because of the limited resolution support on Consoles; PCs are more complicated to do it with because of the vast range of resolutions they can do. I don't think the PS3 has an equivalent unit.

Aha, thanks for the explanation (Y).

Jesus. What more could they do?

NVIDIA 9800 GTX with 5GB DDR10 ram and quad core mem+core? Like seriously. I sometimes wonder if this is a joke. I really think the current 8 Series will serve us for some time. But to each to their own I guess. :/