MPAA's University wiretapping product taken down for violating cop

MPAA's University wiretapping product taken down for violating copyright

The MPAA's "University Toolkit" (a piece of monitoring software that universities are being asked to install on their networks to spy on students' communications) has been taken down, due to copyright violations. The Toolkit is based on the GPL-licensed Xubuntu operating system (a flavor of Linux).

The GPL requires anyone who makes a program based on GPL'ed code has to release the source code for their program and license it under the GPL.

The MPAA refused multiple requests to provide the sources for their spyware, so an Ubuntu developer sent a DMCA notice to the MPAA's ISP and demanded that the material be taken down as infringing.

Source:[/b]"]Boing Boing (Via:Slashdot)

LMFAO... Way-To-Go Ubuntu..

see this is why we all should Pirate.. and SHOW THE MPAA that if thay feel that they can violat Copyright why cant we???

What copyrights did they break? Here it is just Ubuntu asking to see the source code of MPAA's copy of Xubuntu.

It says right in the article - they infringed on the GNU GPL which requires them to post the source code, something they refused to do.

-Spenser

I really hope the movie studios who fund the MPAA go out of business. I wouldn't care about the lack of films, and I would be genuinely, honestly happy to see those executives poor and miserable on the streets, hopefully with their children starving to death before their eyes. Innocent shminosent, I don't care.

This is what you get when you provide such a gross disservice to the people of an entire nation, attacking your hapless targets in the courts and literally buying laws to protect your failing enterprise.

Industry executives, along with the people they care about, need to suffer (relax, just financially, I'm not going on a chainsaw-maiming spree or anything) for actually getting worse legal penalties imposed on copyright infringers than those imposed on some thieves, murderers, rapists, child molesters, and muggers. Why have all these priests gotten away with child molestation and child rape when single mothers find themselves financially laid to waste for their daughters downloading one movie or one song? Does this make ANY sense? The industry is the one who needs to suffer for this.

Oh, almost forgot, Michael Bay's continued career. They need to suffer for the legal penalties and for letting Michael Bay continue making movies.