Dr. Fanboy or: How I Learned To Stop Thinking and Hate the Game

Can't we all just get along? Ever since the days of the bitter Sega and Nintendo rivalry during the 80s and 90s, many gamers have found themselves supporting one side or another. More often than not, this support is blind and, frankly, stupid: gamers who subscribe to one system and one system alone make the whole community look bad.

drfanboy_1.jpg

While previous generations have seen nasty rivalries between two consoles, like the N64 and PlayStation, the advent of the original Xbox split the war four ways. Sony's Playstation 2 was wowing audiences with its DVD playback ability, and Sega's Dreamcast looked ready to make up for the abysmal performance of the company's last two efforts, the universally ridiculed 32X and Sega CD console add-ons. Nintendo looked to be on form with the GameCube, and then out of left field, Microsoft dropped the Xbox bomb. With four consoles going at it in the marketplace, things were getting pretty heated. It's not so much that the Xbox blew away the competition; it was the fact that in the midst of this marketing battlefield, one of the consoles actually, factually died. The Dreamcast ceased production, and Sega's hardware division was no more. This was the first time since the video game crash in the late 70s that a company had actually "lost" a console war, and I'm sure you can put two and two together here. The idea that it was possible to fall out of the race seemed like great excuse to fanboys on all sides. Whether it was the Sony fans ridiculing the ugliness of the Xbox, or Nintendo fans mocking everything that didn't have Miyamoto's personal blessing, the community descended into petty chaos.

Here's the rub. Every console had, and has, real problems. The Xbox 360 has the dreaded Ring of Death, the Wii has become a dumping ground for ****ty shovelware, and the PlayStation 3, well... it HAS been having some rough times. However, every beloved console in history has had issues. While it's perfectly acceptable to question, or even criticize, these defects, it's not a reason to resort to name-calling and outright intolerance. Of the major platforms right now, I can name plenty of positive points. The Xbox 360 has the greatest online service out of the three hard-hitters this generation, and so far, the best graphics, too. The Wii is an innovative piece of hardware, and has some great exclusives to boot. The PlayStation 3 is the most powerful gaming machine on the market, and looks to have some great games in the future, and a few good ones now, too. Not that many people care. It's hard to enter a discussion about the gaming industry without some prick kid who can't spell spewing "lol mario is ghey" or "ZOMG TEH RINGS OF DETH!" Still, though, it isn't these nitwits who are the problem. No, the problem is the group of zealots who can articulate themselves.

There's nothing more frustrating than a fanboy who thinks that he's not a fanboy. While these people are indeed a problem within the console community, the lens must be pulled back a little further to see the full problem. Enter PC gamers. The best example of the stupidity that spawns when a PC enthusiast and a console enthusiast go toe-to-toe is the First Person Shooter debate. The FPS first appeared on the computer, but since then, many successful shooters have been released on consoles. Naturally, many PC purists would feel that these games are a far cry from games on their favorite platform. Likewise, gamers who have only played, say, Halo, would be quick to generalize. These scuffles are made all the worse by the one or two people on either side who think they're the gaming encyclopedia. What's that? You know that The Darkness is a bad game because it isn't Half-Life 2? Thanks for your unbiased opinion. Big-name titles, like the previously mentioned Half-Life and Halo, draw rabid fanboys like moths to a light, and the times that they intermingle should be advertised as a carnival of stupid. Come see the Final Fantasy zealots as they perform their smash hit "JRPGs Are the Only Games In the Universe"! Gasp in awe as the PC gamer defies all logic in his denunciation of the multi-million dollar smash hit Halo by claiming that nobody likes it! Yes, ladies and gentleman, they're all here, with a special guest performance by The Well-Spoken Douchebags!

This clan mentality permeates nearly every game and system, though. The big hits aren't the only groups that seem to draw in morons; even lower-profile titles have their fair share of crusaders. While I was researching Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for my review, I perused the game's official forums.

Oh, dear.

Posters who dared criticize the game were met with barrages of hostility and ignorance. Granted, many comments were along the lines of "dis gaem sux i prefr battelfield 2", but many were legitimately worded, honest concerns. The best (worst?) response I observed was in the midst of a practical gang-bang of a negative poster, someone complaining about the gameplay pacing in a perfectly reasonable manner. If I had known at the time that I was going to write this piece, I would've screencapped the post, but unfortunately, I can only recall it: suffice to say, it held Quake Wars up to the high standard of "the thinking man's shooter". Really? Nothing says "sophisticated" like words like 'Strogg' and 'Lacerator'. Maybe I'm just uncultured.

Next time you see a game get a generally negative score across the board, like the recent Sonic the Hedgehog for PS3 and 360, or Red Steel for the Wii, go ahead and look for a discussion forum about the game. If you can find one game that doesn't have an army of rabid, delusional gamers ready to gut any reviewer who gave the game a bad score, then you are a better man than I. It's not that there is anything wrong with liking 'bad' games- I myself enjoy Tenchu Z, Red Steel, and plenty of movie-licensed games- it's just that our reasons for doing so can't be "I'm right and you're wrong". If the general consensus is that a game is bad, the game is, most likely, bad. That doesn't mean we can't like it, though. Some products have a charm that speak to people, and those gamers have every right to enjoy the titles of their choosing. It's just... could they do so without throwing logic out of the window? Likewise for console owners. Not all of us can afford every system, but does that mean that the ones that we don't buy are inherently evil? There's something for everyone, on every platform, and in every game. Why can't we be friends? More to the point, why can't rational thought be everyone's friend?

Source: http://thunderboltgames.com/features/viewfeature/132

:happy:

Edited by Audioboxer

Meh. There's nothing in there that everyone doesn't know already, but we're still going to go about our petty ways of doing these things, so it doesn't really matter. Granted there are some people out there that are absolutely clueless and could take a hint, but I can't honestly say there's really anyone on this board that isn't aware of everything stated in the article.

-Spenser

Meh. There's nothing in there that everyone doesn't know already, but we're still going to go about our petty ways of doing these things, so it doesn't really matter.

-Spenser

Fine :/

We can't change the whole gaming community, but we can do our best to keep Neowin on top ;)

This is a great read. I especially love this point:

"There's nothing more frustrating than a fanboy who thinks that he's not a fanboy"

Wrong. There's nothing more annoying then everyone and their mother throwing around "fan boy" because they like different things.

Nothing will ever change with things like that, though. The internet is just a ****ing contest to 90% of the people whom sign up for a forum/board/etc.

Edited by photograph

We can't change the whole gaming community, but we can do our best to keep Neowin on top ;)

Unfortunately, Neowin isn't much better. It's moderated more closely and we clean up a lot of messes that other communities don't seem to mind, but we have a large issue here. For a while, the PS3 defenders were entirely over zealous, though the tides have now shifted and the Xbox 360 defenders are completely over the top. It almost makes me want to drink the Nintendo Kool-Aid. Those users actually seem ok in just enjoying their system.

Meh. There's nothing in there that everyone doesn't know already, but we're still going to go about our petty ways of doing these things, so it doesn't really matter. Granted there are some people out there that are absolutely clueless and could take a hint, but I can't honestly say there's really anyone on this board that isn't aware of everything stated in the article.

-Spenser

+1

(Y)

Unfortunately, Neowin isn't much better. It's moderated more closely and we clean up a lot of messes that other communities don't seem to mind, but we have a large issue here. For a while, the PS3 defenders were entirely over zealous, though the tides have now shifted and the Xbox 360 defenders are completely over the top. It almost makes me want to drink the Nintendo Kool-Aid. Those users actually seem ok in just enjoying their system.

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Ninty bit. Go to that section and say something negative about the Wii - you'll get your head bitten off the just the same.

@Audioboxer - I'm not saying I wouldn't like it to change, but it's not in human nature for us to be any other way. I mean, look at yourself even, with '10 things Xbox 360 did wrong' - yeah, it's entirely fine to post that article, but it's also going to be flamebait and you know that full well. You still posted it though and you defend your preferred system to death. All fine stuff, but it goes somewhat against what this article wants from gamers. Therein lies the rub.

Neowin's a fine community. Yes, it gets a little (or a lot) heated at times, but I'd like to think that for the most part, most of us still have a sort of general respect for each other, despite our differences.

-Spenser

I'm going to have to disagree with you on the Ninty bit. Go to that section and say something negative about the Wii - you'll get your head bitten off the just the same.

@Audioboxer - I'm not saying I wouldn't like it to change, but it's not in human nature for us to be any other way. I mean, look at yourself even, with '10 things Xbox 360 did wrong' - yeah, it's entirely fine to post that article, but it's also going to be flamebait and you know that full well. You still posted it though and you defend your preferred system to death. All fine stuff, but it goes somewhat against what this article wants from gamers. Therein lies the rub.

Neowin's a fine community. Yes, it gets a little (or a lot) heated at times, but I'd like to think that for the most part, most of us still have a sort of general respect for each other, despite our differences.

-Spenser

Thats the beef I have right there stifler.

As DL had to say in the thread I posted an EXACT SAME article in the PS3 section ( https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=605310 ) and look at both topics? Which one has blowen up?

Each console is going to have its shortcomings and I thought "hey, I know these articles are opinions, but maybe if I post them we can all talk about each consoles shortcomings/what we want to see changed?"

You know, have everything in the one topic? But no... some people see it as "flamebait" or a"personal attack". Absolutely downright childish.

I know the two topics could get heated, but we're frickin adults or at least teenagers... is the majority of Neowin too immature to handle criticism/or a clashing of opinions in a respectful manner? I would certainly HOPE not.

I want to re-iterate what I say often - NO CONSOLE is perfect, get over that if you think it is. Come to the realisation that as a gamer you're going to have to take bad with the good (Y) The sooner you do, the sooner you can embrace that fact and have a PROPER discussion in threads like the two I posted - Instead of it turning topics into drivel, crying, personal attacks/threats.

Edited by Audioboxer

'keep Neowin on top'? Top of what? This place has been a literal fanboy paradise for the past year or so, be it Apple, Sony, Xbox 360, Blu-Ray etc. And since I don't feel like listing every possible fanboy faction, some are bound to get ****ed and think I'm singling those out. I'm not. But if anyone thinks any of this isn't intentional and designed to generate sensationalism and ultimately pagehits, they're a fool. The more the fanboys get whipped into a frenzy, the more they hit 'refresh'...

'keep Neowin on top'? Top of what? This place has been a literal fanboy paradise for the past year or so, be it Apple, Sony, Xbox 360, Blu-Ray etc. And since I don't feel like listing every possible fanboy faction, some are bound to get ****ed and think I'm singling those out. I'm not. But if anyone thinks any of this isn't intentional and designed to generate sensationalism and ultimately pagehits, they're a fool. The more the fanboys get whipped into a frenzy, the more they hit 'refresh'...

Attitudes like that stink though (N)

I can show you sites around the gaming world just now where things are so bad, the first post of ANY positive news topic for ANY console starts off with some variation of "SONY SUCKS"... "MS SUCKS"... "NINTENDO SUCKS".... or even a personal insult at the topic poster.

I'm not trying to say Neowin can be turned into the over 60's club, where everyone shakes your hand, hands you a cup of tea, and asks how you're doing every morning?... but we can do our best to keep it as well maintained as possible - And as a community make it difficult for the downright idiotic morons to exist.

Edited by Audioboxer

You know, I hate the PS3 (from experience) and love my 360, but honestly, I've never had a problem with any of Audioboxer's posts.

It's funny to me that the Playstation 3 section is almost entirely trolled by 360 "fanboys", but Audioboxer posts both positive and negative articles about both platforms and he's the bad guy? Grow up, people.

You know, I hate the PS3 (from experience) and love my 360, but honestly, I've never had a problem with any of Audioboxer's posts.

It's funny to me that the Playstation 3 section is almost entirely trolled by 360 "fanboys", but Audioboxer posts both positive and negative articles about both platforms and he's the bad guy? Grow up, people.

This thread, combined with another mess today, have sparked a discussion in the staff area. Hopefully, we'll figure something out and be able to move forward with the plan. I spend a lot of time in the 360 forum, so I see what happens here and other staffers know the Ps3 forum very well. We just need to gain as much information as possible from each before taking action.

On a side note, I've never once seen Audioboxer as anything other than a level headed poster. He seems to be one of the few, at times.

I have to agree. AudioBoxer is one of the very few worth having a discussion with on here the best of times (even if he can be misinformed sometimes, but can't we all now and again).

I think both myself and Audio post both negative and positive news on each side of the gamer's hangout, not just the MSFT and Sony sections, but also Nintendo section. However, we both come under attack from members, and for myself the same 3 over and over who I won't name. Things can get heated on here when people don't post with anything to back up their opinions though and that's when things kick off.

The section is a joke to say the least and something really needs to be done (N)

"There's nothing more frustrating than a fanboy who thinks that he's not a fanboy"

"Wrong. There's nothing more annoying then everyone and their mother throwing around "fan boy" because they like different things"

i'd have to change that to "there's nothing more frustrating than a fanboy who won't admit he's a fanboy"

but either way, they are both just as bad. people who just post "sony sucks" or what not need to get warned and eventually banned (temporarily even)

I have to agree. AudioBoxer is one of the very few worth having a discussion with on here the best of times (even if he can be misinformed sometimes, but can't we all now and again).

I think both myself and Audio post both negative and positive news on each side of the gamer's hangout, not just the MSFT and Sony sections, but also Nintendo section. However, we both come under attack from members, and for myself the same 3 over and over who I won't name. Things can get heated on here when people don't post with anything to back up their opinions though and that's when things kick off.

The section is a joke to say the least and something really needs to be done (N)

To an extent yes... but what I have realised is as long as the article has it's integrity intacted, and isn't a CLEAR downright piece of drivel, I think the use of "negative news" is pretty silly.

As I said earlier in this topic, no console is perfect, and as a gamer you need to take the (Y) with the (N).

And to be honest some of the (N) articles can spark the most creative discussions!

Having heated discussions is also one of the top reasons most of us are here - It's exciting, it get's your brain going, and being involved in debatable subjects is productive. There is a line to draw between a heated discussion and respect though. A heated discussion does not mean one which breaks the rules/has to involve personal attacks and/or where everything goes out the window and anything goes.

I think that's one thing the mods on Neowin are trying/should try to emphasise.

I mean on the whole we ARE all adults, no one wants the gamers hangout to be on lockdown, or every post to be subject to screening before its approved (I know thats impossible, you'd need an "army" of mods to do that :p)

As for what's going on in the crew lounge, I'll be honest, I am pretty stumped. This will no doubt be a hard issue to tackle as sadly there is no magic wand that can be waved around (banstick aside ;)) It is good to hear that there is ongoing chit-chat about this section behind the scenes though (Y)

One last thing, let me tell you it is frustrating, as I'd rather try to discuss opinions with people/reason with them than to "explode and drop a ton of bricks on their head" (or in otherwords launch an "attack") - It is annoying when someone throws the respect you've given them back in your face. But I hastely admit, even I make mistakes, so maybe im going overboard as well sometimes (I'm easily enticed into a discussion :/)

Edited by Audioboxer

I don't mean negative news in the sense it's midnlessly written and there to cause arguements. Obviously we come across news each week where perhaps a game is delayed or something similar. That is what I mean by negative news.

Topics like the ones you posted today "top 10 things wrong with PS3/360" are going to be controversial in a lot of peoples eyes, but if I saw the articles I would have posted them too and for the same reasons. It can start a lot of good discussion and it can stay like that for a good while. More often than not we know it doesn't last very long though eh (N).

At the end of the day this kind of thing is going to rage on for long after we've gone. People like different things, people fail to see others points, people write bollocks. Personally I don't give a **** as I like what I like, end of.

I don't mean negative news in the sense it's midnlessly written and there to cause arguements. Obviously we come across news each week where perhaps a game is delayed or something similar. That is what I mean by negative news.

Topics like the ones you posted today "top 10 things wrong with PS3/360" are going to be controversial in a lot of peoples eyes, but if I saw the articles I would have posted them too and for the same reasons. It can start a lot of good discussion and it can stay like that for a good while. More often than not we know it doesn't last very long though eh (N).

One of the issues seems to be regular news posters, or those that have a loyalty, and im going out on a limb to say a "harmless loyalty" get put under the most scrutiny.... a lot of the time wrongfully unfortunately (N)

It's pretty obvious, while both of us own every platform, we do have our roots with a specific one - Not in a "blind" way...

Ack, it's hard to generalise, you know what I mean though DM.

I'll give it from my end instead of trying to generalise us both...

I am a PS man at heart - I have a background and an interest in the PS1/PS2/PSP and now PS3. The PS1 was the console I properly grew up with (forget the master system, megadrive, gamegear ect ;)), things started on the PS1 for me.

Now moving on from that, I understand that there is now a lot more "out there" in terms of gaming - Last generation you would of heard me say, the PS2 is all that matters.

I now own a PS1/PS2/PS3/DS/PSP/Wii/360... jeeez no wonder im broke :laugh:, and I love them all. I have an interest in them all, and love the games/features each has to offer me.

And even although im a PS man at heart, it's not to be compared to "supporting" you're favourite football team. I'm not ruthless, nor do I want only my team to succeed. That's what I think a lot of people believe about me on these forums. It's not true though, but I can only do soo much to try and prove that (Y)

But really when I think about it... it doesn't matter all that much what others "think" at times - There is no excuse to disrespect someone in the way it gets done on occassion on these forums.

I feel so dirty.... I want to redeem my sins. :cry:

This ain't Church boy, This is Living!

:laugh:

Awman... i'll leave.

There is no way of fixing this because in the end people have an opinion, yeah some may seem misguided and stubborn but it's their opinion. Just ignore them and move on, no need to encourage them by replying. There's nothing better than someone replying to your post and have them share an opinion. Sadly this gamers section is full of people who still haven't got the grasp of conversation.

Me, i sit on the fence, all consoles have their good and bad points. I'm a gamer and enjoy playing games on whatever console it appears on.

I think the staff should look more to a way to include other people in topics. The gamers section just seems like a select few posting amongst themselves and if someone else posts in there, it just gets ignored, even if it was actually an interesting post.