Xbox Support - How can I test your patience today?

Today is a very special day. Today, the 27th of December, is the day I accept my defeat against Xbox's customer service. I believed this battle was over, I thought I had won, that I could finally move on with my life saying with pride and dignity... but this morning, the delivery guy brought me the evidence I needed to face the hard facts and realise I was against something much bigger than myself. This, is the story of my experience with Xbox's support. This my friends, is the Xbox Faceplate Saga. I know it is a very long post but I wanted it to be as complete as possible to avoid the usual "me no happy, me post a rant" stereotype.

Everything started 4 months ago, in August. During summer, I organised a big contest to celebrate my software's 6th birthday and for the top prizes, I chose some Xbox 360 Elite, some PS3 and some Wii. This way, I thought nobody could accuse me of only promoting my own personal preferences and the 3 systems have their benefits anyway, none is bad, none is THE one. I am a happy owner of several Nintendo and Sony systems and I just never had the chance to try out an Xbox. So anyway, the contest ended, the systems were dispatched and unfortunately, one of the Xbox never got delivered (South America, the post office had warned me about it). The package was insured so I filled the papers, waited and, surprise, the Xbox showed up at my door the last week of August. Instead of reimbursing me the declared value of the package, the post office "miraculously" located the lost package and shipped it back to me. One problem though: I had to pay for Brazil->Canada shipping which they estimated to 140$ (how they estimated it? simple: that's what I had paid to send the package in the first place). Long story short: I paid Post Canada while cursing their name and I sent a Paypal transfer to the Brazilian winner so that he could get the system in his country himself :).

I was now the proud owner of a brand new Xbox 360 Elite! Considering the fact that Microsoft had decreased the price of the system of 100$ recently after I bought it and that I had pay for a shipping sitance of half around the world, I decided to bite the bullet and keep it. I didn't have much time to play with it but I had my eyes on Blue Dragon for a while and this perfectly justified the expense in my little head. A couple of days later, I finally opened the package. Everything was in order except for one small detail: the faceplate was broken. One of the memory slots was detached, the associated metal piece was missing and part of the faceplate itself was damaged. I knew they were selling faceplates at Futureshop but after everything I had paid and done to get this thing, I assumed Microsoft could do something about it (after all, it was the first time the box was open, it was a brand new Xbox and the faceplate could have easily been damaged before it was sent out to Brazil).

Important note to put everything in context: I've always been a supporter of Microsoft's products. They've been in the business of customer support for a long time and I always had some very positive experience with the MSDN Developer's Support. In this post I have summed up the discussions and translated my memories from French to English. I don't pretend to give an exact transcript but I promise it's the honest recollection of my experiences. Some of the dates may not be exact either, it's not like I have kept a diary about all this.

Here is the first call I made to Xbox's customer support:

Support: how can I help you today?

Me: I just got a brand new Xbox Elite but the faceplate is broken.

Support: did you register your Xbox yet?

Me: no, should I do that and call you back?

Support: it's ok, we'll take care of it right now. Please give me your name, phone number, serial number, date of purchase, etc...

Me: I give the information, I'm put on hold. I browse the manual while waiting.

Support: ok Cyril, everything's ok, we're going to send you a replacement free of charge. All you have to do is send us your broken faceplate.

Me: alright, so, you send me a new faceplate and I send you mine right?

Support: no, you have to send us your faceplate first before we can send you the new one.

Me: really? that's a shame... but alright... when will I get the new one?

Support: it should take between 2 to 3 weeks. Your ticket number is 104-380-4382.

I was a little disappointed by this arrangement but I know they all have procedures to follow and there's not much you can do about it. Why was I disappointed? because this expensive piece of equipment looks nice when it's complete but if you remove the faceplate form it, it just looks like an opened computer case, it's ugly, and I knew it would have to stay like this for at least 2 weeks next to my TV. I also knew that the faceplate would probably be immediately thrown in the trash can after reception so this was a useless use of time and money, for everybody.

In any case, the same day, I went to the post office and sent back the faceplate to the address they gave me, in Toronto. By regular mail it would take less than a week to arrive at the warehouse which was ok. Time passes by, no news... suddenly, I realise that one month has passed so I decide to call them back.

Me: I called a month ago to ask for an exchange for my Xbox's faceplate. I still haven't received it. Can you check it out? Here is my ticket number.

Support: my computer says that we have not received your old plate yet.

Me: what? really? it's been a long time now. Can you confirm the address I've got is correct.

Support: yet it's correct but we don't have your plate.

Me: can you still send me the new plate?

Support: we can't send you the new one if you don't send us the old one.

Me: but I already sent it to you!

Support: can you give me the tracking information?

Me: I don't have any, it was shipped by regular mail. You didn't want to assume the shipping charges so I was not about to send you this piece of broken plastic by FedEx Express.

Support: I'm sorry but it is your responsibility to make sure we receive the package.

Me: so, what do we do now? I don't have anything to send back to you and my Xbox really looks bad without any cover.

Support: please hold

I wait a couple of minutes...

Support: did you keep a receipt?

Me: yes I did.

Support: ok Cyril, we are going to analyze your request and we'll get back to you.

Me: so you'll call me back?

Support: yes.

Two days later... nobody called me back, I call.

Me: I called for an issue with my faceplate, I was told I would be contacted again soon but I have not received any phone call yet.

Support: you should receive a call soon

Me: are you sure? can you check that my phone number is correct?

Support: sure. Is it xxx-xxx-xxxx?

Me: nope, it is xxx-xxx-xxxy.

Support: that's probably why we couldn't reach you. I have corrected the information, you should be contacted soon.

Three more days, still nothing. I call.

Me: I'm still waiting for a call regarding my issue.

Support: I'm sorry but we never call customers. You need to call us.

Me: what? but I was told I would receive a phone call.

Support: no sir, we don't call back, we expect you to call us.

Me: ok.... can you tell me about my faceplate then?

I wait...

Support: your faceplate was shipped out yesterday to your home address.

Me: really? excellent! thank you very much.

Support: you're welcome.

Finally! after more than a month, many calls, and a lot of time spent on the phone re-explaining my issue to a different tech every time, my problem was over. It was not a pleasant experience but it was not like it was the first time I had a bad experience with a customer support call center... at least, I wouldn't have to call them again and I could get myself a good game (for some reason, I refused to do anything with the Xbox until I considered it to be "complete", I know, I'm strange). So, the following week, I hear my doorbell, sign the delivery confirmation and happily open the package: there was a plate in there alright, a blue one (id: Hotrod). It's not like it didn't look well, but I could have ordered this plate for 10$ on Amazon which is what it cost me to send the original broken plate back to Microsoft. I didn't care about a faceplate I could easily get in any video game store. This was not a replacement plate for my Xbox Elite, my Xbox is black, the original plate was black and naturally, I was expecting a new piece of plastic that was plain black, something that no store could offer me (at the time). It could seem trivial but considering the hype that was around the new color of this Xbox when it was released, I just wanted to experience it the same way as all the others, I didn't need any frankenstein system.

This whole thing started to get on my nerves. My work was already stressful enough already a it was. A video game system is supposed to help brighten your day a little, not make it worse by sending a message equivalent to "I don't give a damn about what you". One of the reasons I was so worked up with this has to do with another thing I called Xbox for in the meantime (regarding the country associated with my gamertag, that's another story but needless to say that the problem was never solved). So, I called back:

I explain everything, nicely and quietly

Me: {...} so naturally, I want the original plate for my Xbox, one that looks like what was in the box originally.

Support: well, did you specifically ask for it when you first called?

Me: what do you mean? I have an Xbox Elite, you have my serial number, I assumed you would send me the correct faceplate.

Support: you should have specified this when you called.

Me: but my Xbox is black! of course I want a black plate!

Support: ok Cyril, we'll send you another plate. You'll just have to send us back the one you received.

That's when I honestly started to really get ****ed of... first time of my life I shout on the phone, and it has to be for something like this...

Me: WHAT?! are you kidding me? it's been almost 2 months since this whole thing started, I already sent you a plate that you never received, I had to call several times to get you to send me my plate and now you tell me that I have to pay and send it back to you again because you made a mistake?

Support: we can't send you a new plate if you don't send us the one you currently have.

I'm trying to calm down...

Me: so ok, you mean that I have to go to the post office, spend my time and money on something that you'll tell me you won't have received and wait another month hoping that this time, you send me the correct one? if you send me the wrong color again, we'll have to do this again and again until I get what I'm supposed to have?

Support: that's how it works.

Me: I'm sorry but there's no way that I'm going to send this plate back to you. It's your mistake, it's your problem, just send me a new plate.

Support: then there's no point in discussing this anymore. If you don't intend to send the plate back, I won't even bother issuing a new ticket for your problem.

we have a couple of exchanges that can be summed-up to "it's your problem" - "I don't care".

what follows is unclear in my mind, it's the first time I felt so insulted by a company. I mainly recall seeing my girl friend jumping out of her chair when I started to yell my answer to this guy

Me: WHAT??? *censored*

Support: sir, don't shout. You shouldn't shout at people who are trying to do you a favour.

Me: are you joking? now you're telling me you're doing me a favour? by honouring your warranty?

Support: calm down

he insists that he's really here to do me a favour, nothing forces them to do anything at this point apparently

Me: *censored*

I'm put on hold, for a long time, without any prior notice. After about 10-15 minutes, I'm about to hang up thinking nobody will ever talk to me again when a new person gets my call...

Support: Cyril?

Me: yes, hello

Support: hi, my name is *something I forgot* and I've been told that you're apparently very very upset?

She sounds calm and sweet, a lot less arrogant than the guy before her. I've calmed down too so the rest of the discussion goes smoothly. I re-explain my situation from the beginning and for the first time, I get a human answer.

Support: you are right Cyril, this is not correct, I understand your frustration. I am not the manager, he is not here right now but I will take care of this matter personally. I appologize for the inconvenience. I will talk to our manager tomorrow and get this problem solved as quickly as possible. I have created a new ticket for you, the number is 104-735-2642.

Me: thank you very much, I really appreciate it. Will you call me back when you have some new information?

Support: yes, I will.

Me: for sure?

Support: yes, certainly. Have a nice day and sorry about this again.

This one hour call finally ended properly. I may be naive but I'm not completely stupid though, I knew the girl had probably taken the call with a message saying "this guy needs to be calmed down" but as far as I was concerned, I was satisfied with everything she had said to me. It sounded a lot better than the previous "don't know, don't care". And I remember I couldn't help myself but to compare this replacement issue with a similar experience I recently had with Nintendo. During the same period, Nintendo had decided that new Wiimotes would now be sold with a protective jacket and for some reason, they deemed appropriate to offer a jacket, for free, to any existing owner of a Wii. It took me three minutes to go to their site, enter my address and my serial number, and confirm the order. Their only question? "how many jackets do you want". I asked for 3 of them because I have 3 Wiimotes. No need to send the controllers back, no need for an invoice, no need for anything. Just a confirmation message thanking me for my "order" and telling me it could take a while before I get the jackets because of the high demand... I finally got the package only 5 weeks later, and they were not blue.

So, anyway, back to Xbox: I waited for my new friend to call me back... 4 days later, despite her multiple promises, still no news. I call:

Me: somebody was supposed to call me back. Here is my ticket number.

Support: please hold...

5 minutes later... the same girl than before gets my call

Support: hi Cyril. I'm glad to say that everything has been worked out with the manager. A new faceplate will be sent to you for your Xbox Elite. You can keep the current one as a souvenir.

Me: thank you for your help, I really appreciate it.

Seeing that I got the last plate less than a week after getting a shipping confirmation, I assumed I'd get my new plate soon... time passed by... it is now November 19th, 3 weeks after the last call. I decide to call them to know what's going on. After waiting for about 10 minutes, I get a message saying "we're sorry we couldn't take your call. Please leave your name and phone number and we'll get back to you in the next 24 hours". No option to keep on waiting. I try to call again, I get the same automated answer so I leave a message, with my name, the ticket number and some info about the issue.

November 22nd: nobody called me back or tried to call me back (I work at home, it's not like they could have missed me). This is crazy, borderline impossible. We're talking about Microsoft here, one of the largest corporations in the world. I cannot accept the fact that their customer support center could be arrogant to the point of rejecting your calls, recording your messages and not follow-up on them. I call again. "we're sorry we couldn't take your call. Please leave your name and phone number and we'll get back to you in the next 24 hours".

November 24th: no call yet. I try calling once more. "we're sorry we couldn't take your call. Please leave your name and phone number and we'll get back to you in the next 24 hours". I'm starting to wonder if they filter my calls. This time, I add a note at the end of my message saying this is the third time I've left a message in a week and that I'd really appreciate if somebody could call me back as promised.

November 28th: I call again, this time, I get to finally speak with somebody.

Me: first, please tell me why I didn't get called back after leaving 3 messages in your system last week. The message says you'll call back in the next 24 hours.

Support: ... can I help you with something?

I can clearly hear at the sound of his voice that he couldn't care less about what I just said

Me: I hope so. I was supposed to receive a replacement faceplate, it's been almost 3 months now, can you please tell me what's going on?

Support: it still shows as *pending* in my system

Me: what does this mean?

Support: it's going to be shipped out to you very soon

Me: how do you know? it was supposed to be shipped a month ago. Do you have any kind of message telling you what is happening?

Support: you're going to get it very soon.

Me: do you hear what I'm telling you?

Support: we can't do anything about this. We're not the ones shipping the replacement parts. There's nothing I can do.

Me: can you at least write a note about it.

Support: hold on

I wait...

Support: It's done. I have sent a message about this.

Me: ok thanks, bye

I couldn't believe me ears when this guy told me he was not responsible for sending out replacement parts. This may sound like not much of a statement but to me, it means a lot: I know most companies delocalize a lot of their customer support for financial reasons nowadays. Whether we like it or not, that's a fact. But in general, they at least pretend to be part of the company to some extent. As far as I'm concerned, "they" are Microsoft, "they" represent the company and "they" are the only ones that can help me with my problems. What the tech said to me blows it off completely and equals to "I'm just here to take your call, if they don't ship it to you, what do you want me to do?". Suddenly, I'm talking to a complete stranger, not affiliated with Microsoft in any way and who admits he can do absolutely nothing to help me. So what am I supposed to do now? this guy cannot help me but he's the only one I can call. Anyway, I give up for the time being, I have more important things to take care of.

3 weeks later. I'm now done with my software update, it's been released and Blue Dragon is waiting for me. It's not the faceplate I wanted but it's still a "complete" system so I decide it's time to get something good out of my Xbox. Still, as you can guess, I did not receive the promised black faceplate and I'm in the mood to call once more.

Me: well, I've been waiting for my replacement faceplate for a long time and I was wondering what was the current status.

I wait for a good 5 minutes...

Support: hi Cyril. This delay is not normal, I have created a new ticket for you, the number is 105-318-1394, your faceplate will be shipped as soon as possible. Sorry for the delay. Please just confirm me your address...

I was shocked! such efficiency! I didn't have to do anything but give my previous ticket number and voila, problem understood, let's place a new order for you. For a minute there, I was a believer...

... which brings us to today, the last day of my saga. This morning, I received the package from the warehouse. How does the story end? I won't spoil the surprise with another boring paragraph, a picture equals a thousand words...

post-32405-1198790920.jpg

...and yes, if you're wondering, I did call Xbox before writing this post: "we're sorry we couldn't take your call. Please leave your name and phone number and we'll get back to you in the next 24 hours".

Take very good care of your Xbox Elite if you have one, your faceplate will probably be worth a lot of money on eBay in a couple of years...

Patchou

I would be, in all honesty, absolutely livid. In fact, I most likely would have just ended up giving in and buying one on eBay, or something. So, what are you going to do now? I think this should be reported to someone higher up, because it's frankly unacceptable.

I on the other hand had a different experience.

When my wireless controller's A button stopped working, they sent me a wired controler as a replacement. Called them up, they said to keep the wired controller and they would re-send the wireless one

Why didn't you just buy a replacement faceplate and spray paint it?

You've probably spent more time, effort and cash on faffing around with the phone support.

I don't really think that's the point. MS are supposed to provide a service, and they are failing miserably.

I don't really think that's the point. MS are supposed to provide a service, and they are failing miserably.

Not really.

Anybody could falsely call for a faceplate and try and blag one.

As I stated earlier, it's up to you to use registered post, that way you have comeback either from the post office OR MS.

It aint rocket science really.

Mhm, i would have thought 'i wont be so arrogant and up myself, take a quick trip to the local shop and buy a new plate'

Each to his own.

since he already paid for his xbox that comes with a (black) faceplate, why would he have to buy a new one? sure he paid for the deliverycosts of his broken faceplate, it's more a matter of prinicipal imo.

I really enjoyed reading a well-written, long & interesting post for once, thank you (Y)

But i must say, there is no words for the situation you are in and have been through, no excuse!

Hope a Microsoft employee ( Wink Wink ) Sees this and compensates you, with like gold & jewelry.

But as suggested, spray that white one black, no ones gonna notice :laugh:

this is a perfect example of how the tech industry, as well as customer service in general, shafts the end user. sad really, but this is more typical than it ever should have become. there was a time when the customer was important to a company, and it seems those days are long gone.

sadly, we, the consumers, let it happen, not that we deserved it in any way, just too many people that allowed it to happen instead of speaking up and fighting (not that you should have to) for what it genuinely 'right'.

glad i'll die some day and put this **** world behind me.

Not really.

Anybody could falsely call for a faceplate and try and blag one.

As I stated earlier, it's up to you to use registered post, that way you have comeback either from the post office OR MS.

It aint rocket science really.

Honestly, who would try and blag a cheap plastic faceplate? When someone is that fussed about getting a faceplate, you'd think they'd just give in eventually. I mean, they have phone records, noone would waste their time ringing that much for a faceplate, unless it was for good reason. At first, it was for the faceplate, but I think as the weeks and months went on, it became a matter of principal. You bought an Xbox, the least they could do is replace a cheap faceplate without so much fuss.

Good customer support should have had this problem solved alot quicker.

Jebus Christus! That has to be such a horrible feeling. Really it is. I feel so sorry for you man. I hope that maybe you can call Microsoft and give em some more hell. Hell, even point them to this forum and show them how completely ignorant the call centers are. Though, You make a piece of terrific software for Messenger and yet you are not able to get special treatment from that company that you software was made for. Kind of lame if you ask me. But yeah, My general opinion would be to just spray paint it black and just not deal with the call centers anymore.

Neztea

Edit: Also, That was actually a good read, something that should be digged, or something....

Honestly, who would try and blag a cheap plastic faceplate? When someone is the fussed about getting a faceplate, you'd think they'd just give in eventually. I mean, they have phone records, noone would waste their time ringing that much for a faceplate, unless it was for good reason.

Ok, you're right.

I was just using the faceplate as an example.

MS will have a procedure they have to follow for everything coming in or going out.

Prime example: XBOX360 replacements for RROD.

So, faceplate schmaceplate, it doesn't really matter.

But..

If you are ever going to send ANYTHING anywhere just use registered post, and you will never have this heartache.

Registered post isn't even that much more than regular post.

If it gets lost you're insured, so you win either way.

lol this reminds me of my story. I just sent in my xbox after my 1st one rrod'thd :(. I got a new one back and the memory bay flap was missing a spring so it was broken. I quickly called the hot line and received my new face plate in 2 days ^_^.

Was also making me think of a mate, who got RROD, sent it for repairs, received one that did not work, but that 'security tape' at the back had come off either during shipping or at the repair center, so Microsoft refused to repair it ( Well, he hadn't noticed first time, so he got it back with a note saying nothing has been done with it ). Pretty ****ty situation.