TrueCrypt 5.0

www.truecrypt.org

February 5, 2008

New features:

Ability to encrypt a system partition/drive (i.e. a partition/drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication (anyone who wants to gain access and use the system, read and write files, etc., needs to enter the correct password each time before the system starts). For more information, see the chapter System Encryption in the documentation. (Windows Vista/XP/2003)

Pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100% (Windows)

Mac OS X version

Graphical user interface for the Linux version of TrueCrypt

XTS mode of operation, which was designed by Phillip Rogaway in 2003 and which was recently approved as the IEEE 1619 standard for cryptographic protection of data on block-oriented storage devices. XTS is faster and more secure than LRW mode (for more information on XTS mode, see the section Modes of Operation in the documentation).

Note: New volumes created by this version of TrueCrypt can be encrypted only in XTS mode. However, volumes created by previous versions of TrueCrypt can still be mounted using this version of TrueCrypt.

SHA-512 hash algorithm (replacing SHA-1, which is no longer available when creating new volumes).

==================

Improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements:

The Linux version of TrueCrypt has been redesigned so that it will no longer be affected by changes to the Linux kernel (kernel upgrades/updates).

Many other minor improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements. (Windows and Linux)

If you are using an older version of TrueCrypt, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade to this version.

TrueCrypt 5.0

New features:

* Ability to encrypt a system partition/drive (i.e. a partition/drive where Windows is installed) with pre-boot authentication (anyone who wants to gain access and use the system, read and write files, etc., needs to enter the correct password each time before the system starts). For more information, see the chapter System Encryption in the documentation. (Windows Vista/XP/2003)

* Pipelined operations increasing read/write speed by up to 100% (Windows)

* Mac OS X version

* Graphical user interface for the Linux version of TrueCrypt

* XTS mode of operation, which was designed by Phillip Rogaway in 2003 and which was recently approved as the IEEE 1619 standard for cryptographic protection of data on block-oriented storage devices. XTS is faster and more secure than LRW mode (for more information on XTS mode, see the section Modes of Operation in the documentation).

Note: New volumes created by this version of TrueCrypt can be encrypted only in XTS mode. However, volumes created by previous versions of TrueCrypt can still be mounted using this version of TrueCrypt.

* SHA-512 hash algorithm (replacing SHA-1, which is no longer available when creating new volumes).

Note: To re-encrypt the header of an existing volume with a header key derived using HMAC-SHA-512 (PRF), select 'Volumes' > 'Set Header Key Derivation Algorithm'.

Improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements:

* The Linux version of TrueCrypt has been redesigned so that it will no longer be affected by changes to the Linux kernel (kernel upgrades/updates).

* Many other minor improvements, bug fixes, and security enhancements. (Windows and Linux)

If you are using an older version of TrueCrypt, it is strongly recommended that you upgrade to this version.

finally, after a long time :woot:

awesome!

Can I install it on my PenDrive and use it on any PC (Win/Mac/Linux)?

yes, after you install the program there's a menu option for you to place a copy of the program onto a removable drive. I think just copying the files over works too.

Great. System partition encryption was one of few things this tool still missed. :)

I still won't use it because I think performance might suffer a bit too much, instead preferring to off load anything encrypted to a separate partition or a TrueCrypt image. But still, for those who want maximum protection without having to deal with ensuring things like personal files and swap file contents etc are encrypted (and possibly needing to reconfigure the OS to store the profiles on another drive), that update is invaluable. :)

The performance improvements sounds pretty amazing, and now OS X users can rejoice too, as well as Linux users for the nice GUI. :D I guess this is another must download for me. ;)

anybody know of a mirror? the site seems to be busy.

i tried it on a test laptop and the pre-boot authentication broke it, but i've just remaged it, but silly me i lost the original setup exe :-(

Awesome, managed to start downloading it, thought it may take a while 973 bytes a sec :(

Not to be cinical... but has anyone ever verified this program does do what it says? Just want to be sure before we consider using it at work on our laptops to encrypt their drives... thanks!

Not to be cinical... but has anyone ever verified this program does do what it says? Just want to be sure before we consider using it at work on our laptops to encrypt their drives... thanks!

If anyone is sceptical they can review the source code and compile it themselves. Oh, the beauty of open source...

that's why i like pgp so much, it's a bit of a faff getting hold of the source, but at least you can look at how it works. i wouldn't trust bitlocker as far as i could throw it.