RIAA: Anti-Virus Software Should Filter Pirated Content

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/RIAA-An...d-Content-91661

Public Knowledge posts a video from the recent State of the Net Conference, at which the RIAA's Cary Sherman discusses ISP piracy filters. Of course, many piracy filtering systems like the one being tested by AT&T could easily be bested by encryption. Sherman has a solution for that: spyware/software on your PC, buried in your anti-virus software or within your modem that would restrict you from viewing certain content:

Filters can be put in the applications for example. You know, one could have a filter on the end user?s computer that would actually eliminate any benefit from?encryption because if you want to hear it, you?d have to decrypt it, and at that point the filter could work. Why would somebody put that on their machine? They likely wouldn't want to do that, they'd do that when it benefits them such as for viruses...

Several times Sherman infers that ISP systems that simply inform customers that what they're doing is wrong could stop piracy (though years of lawsuits and subsequent press coverage failed to do that). It's clear however that to be truly effective, Sherman sees a future where your ISP, modem, PC, router and perhaps anti-malware software all work together to protect the entertainment industry's profit margins.

Bwhaha. Sherman sees a future where...

I don't know how he's seeing that future, but he must be taking some seriously strong mindbending **** to see that future.

I wonder if all these r ISP, modem, PC, router and perhaps anti-malware software all working together to protect the entertainment industry's profit margins. are actually going to see any of those profits or they going to do just to make RIAA happy and ensure a place in heaven for being such nice companys.

RIAA, really are ****** next they'll be trying to recruit your neighbours to spy on you

Apparently, in Sherman's reality, everyone uses Windows along with closed-source antivirus software.

Whoops, I use Linux. Double whoops, my Windows systems use ClamAV. Where are you going to hide your corporate-fascist software there, Cary?

Alternatively, run your pirated music in a virtual machine with a virtual network connection between it and the host OS. Set up a VLC stream on the VM, connect to the stream on the host OS...boom, done.

The only filter that should exist is what RIAA thinks, should never be brought to public or to my eyes.

So sad to see this guys still alive, pack your things and go peek a bo elswhere.

Im no pirate but this guys think they are what? Really, they will get a major law suit someday and disapear but until then, we have to read this kind of stupid ideas (the time machine in the other topic has more sense than this one).

Heh. Fortunately they can't force MS to bundle such a program with Windows, or MS gets sued, so if that should ever happen, I'll just not use AV. Granted I haven't really pirated anything in quite a long time so it wouldn't matter anyways, but his suggestion is ridiculous (which ironically puts it in line with everything else he says).

-Spenser

what planet r they on? Ape planet?

lol

Someone should've stood up and asked them if AV suites could come with bull**** filters too so people wouldn't have to listen to the RIAA anymore...

-Spenser

how would the AV see if the thing is pirated or not?

u r trying to find the logical core of the whole issue, but sorry to inform u that the whole stupid thing is illogical. my 2 yrs old son can come up with better ideas.

cant wait for the day where the govt would wake up and shut down this organization. their budget can be spent somewhere else better.

cant wait for the day where the govt would wake up and shut down this organization. their budget can be spent somewhere else better.

Unfortunately that's not likely to happen anytime soon. There are too many bribes^H^H^H^H^H^H"Campaign contributions" from the copyright industry to see the gubmint taking that kind of action against them.

Of course if people would just STOP BUYING POPULAR MUSIC this wouldn't be so much of a problem as they'd run out of money a whooooole lot quicker.

If you want to kill the RIAA, one of the best tools at your disposal is RIAA Radar. It tells you whether or not an album is released by an RIAA member company. If it's marked as "Safe" on the Radar, go ahead and buy it. If it's marked as "WARNING!", you should avoid it as best you can. If, for whatever reason, you simply must buy it (there's this little thing called "sacrifice," and music is not a necessity), try to buy it used so that the record company (and the musicians - there's a reason for this and I'll get to it in a minute) make no money on the sale.

There's CDBaby, iRATEradio, Magnatune, IUMA, eMusic, Audio Lunchbox, GarageBand (not the Apple software), and numerous other sources for independent music. Use them. Also, use MusicPlasma to find other independent musicians similar to those you like.

As for why you would want the musician (if signed to an RIAA-affiliated record label) to not make money on the sale, I know this sounds counter-intuitve at first, but think about it: the RIAA keeps running their mouths about "protecting the artists." Well if the musicians see that RIAA tactics are driving people to deliberately seek out legal means of getting their music without them making a cent on the sale, they're going to get mighty p!$$3d off at their record labels and threaten all kinds of nasty things like non-renewal of contracts or even (horror of horrors) going the Radiohead route and selling directly online. It is a question of getting musicians ****ed off, the key is just making sure they get ****ed off at the record companies.

What a crock of crap.

I agree that avoiding buying popular music would help.

Hopefully more artists will follow in the steps of Radiohead, Saul Williams, Nine Inch Nails, etc. so we can by from the artist instead of the record companies.

Thinking anti-virus companies would even be willing to block "pirated content" just seems ridiculous to me. As if anyone would buy something that is going to try and control users files/rights? just sounds crazy to me. And if something like this even were to happen, there would probably be an exodus of users switching to operating systems that are more free [as in freedom].

RIAA: Anti-Virus Software Should Filter Pirated Content

Now not only they introduce in your life (and decide what you can do or not with your PAID music), they have the face to tell to the Anti-Virus Companies what they MUST to do...

next thing you know, ISP's, Operating Systems, Chat Clients, Web Browsers, and anything else associated with Internet should filter priated content. Here comes another great speech from RIAA, that no one will pay attention to next week

The internet should filter RIAA