So who's in?

Well, here we are. Over the weekend, I've pushed the idea of Shift Linux out to as many people as possible. But who's in for it?

We're looking for people to help; that's the only way open source can work, if people want to be involved. Whether you're a programmer, a developer, or a prospective user, we need your skills and ideas to get Shift done.

This thread will be used for you to "apply". If you'd rather PM me or one of the other team members, go ahead; it will have the same effect.

Shift is not a full time job. It's something to do on the side.

So there it is. The offer is on the table. Do you want to help?

I would love to help, but Im not a programmer. How people who cant do code can help the project?

Ideas. We can never, ever run out of ideas to implement. As a potential user, we're aiming this entire thing at you, so if you want to help out, the best thing you can do is contribute your ideas, no idea how outlandish they may seem to you, and to keep tabs on this forum, vote in polls, fill out surveys, or whatever we post up. Again, no commitment, but a lot of help.

Also, bug reports. You'll see most companies hire people specifically for the purpose of bug testing. While we aren't a big company, in fact we don't even have any money, we need volunteers to just keep us in check as we wander off into developer world :p

Ideas. We can never, ever run out of ideas to implement. As a potential user, we're aiming this entire thing at you, so if you want to help out, the best thing you can do is contribute your ideas, no idea how outlandish they may seem to you, and to keep tabs on this forum, vote in polls, fill out surveys, or whatever we post up. Again, no commitment, but a lot of help.

Also, bug reports. You'll see most companies hire people specifically for the purpose of bug testing. While we aren't a big company, in fact we don't even have any money, we need volunteers to just keep us in check as we wander off into developer world :p

There's also things like graphics etc - not all development has to do with coding :p

I would like to be updated on this and share my ideas however I will be unable to install it and actually work on it hands on until the end of july when I return home to my "office" and can actually do stuff.... please keep me on any mailing list for this and I will chip in as soon as I can.

Oh hey, I'm in. It'll be mostly exploring the new ideas and looking at implementation and getting juicy ISOs out to the masses...just like in the days of 0.5! :p

Also, bug reports. You'll see most companies hire people specifically for the purpose of bug testing.

Im in if you need testers. But be aware, I use a macbook pro. Drivers could be a nightmare.

I'd like to participate.

I can contribute with a bit scripting and the usual "hacks"... :)

My knowledge of GTK is not very advanced, would be more comfortable with QT but I'm willing to learn.

So... Python scripting/programming, "hacks", interface designs, small graphic work... Give me homework. :)

I'll be happy to contribute in any non coding way that I can, testing or idea's. I've a load of assorted hardware so I can try my best to ensure things work out with what I have

I can help. I definitely won't be able to lead anything, but will participate as I can. Suggestions, testing, simple gruntwork (non-programming, really). If we include fluxbox, you have my experiences in that area to finesse it the way you want.

I remember testing it before for Barney long ago and it was VERY buggy back then, however i have more time now its coming up to Christmas, so i dont mind testing and giving feedback and ideas.

Is it a full install now or still just a live boot disk?

Oh... and im a PC user :p

Anybody have a PC we can borrow? :p

Can use mine, I'm more than willing to install and use as a main OS tbh. Only thing I do on my laptop nowdays are messenger and web browsing with the odd torrent download thown in too.

Will read up a bit mroe when I get home but I'm willing to help out with things on an ideas/bugs front.

I *might* be willing to test on my PC. Otherwise Ill just contribute ideas (I can neither code nor design :p ).

Me too. But I could help by reporting bugs!

PC user here.

I woul;d love to help where i can, I cant do programming stuff <-- my brain couldnt stretch that far haha. But i can help out where possible, Ideas maybe a few fan graphics and a few bits like that. I can also do some web design stuff so if something needs to be done on th shift linux site i may be able to do it although im no expert lol

I can try and get hold of a PC for installing shift linux to test it/find bugs maybe, but cant do that right now. Havent got any cash to get a new PC.

I use a MacBook Pro too, believe me, it will work out :p

any chance we can make this the first linux distro that natively recognizes and allows you to work with a tablet? I have a tablet PC t4220 and will be more than happy to dual boot and try this out if you guys really want to do it. and in the summer when i get a new one I will be able to let the development team "barrow" my current tablet and try to get stuff working on it.

I'm definately interested in helping. I've got the time and some coding experience, but very little knowledge around Linux.

Studying 3rd year Computer Science bachelors degree at the moment, and I really think this is something I can get stuck into. I tend to forget to check threads, so if there is anything I can help with or you just want a chat on IRC/MSN about it, drop me a pm and i'll get back to you.