Random Ping Spikes

Like most people, I am a gamer. After recently switching from XP to Windows 7(and in the process loosing my XP Partition :( ), I've noticed that I am now experincing pink spikes. I play on a local server, in DFW, and I live in the DFW area. I've used to get around 20-30 ping range. I still see that now, but what I also see is that I randomly jump up to 80-175ping area for the same exact server. It comes back down, but only to go back up again in a flash. It stays in that range longer than it does in the 30's. Before I've always stayed in the 30's, and I've been also testing this out on other servers, the ones I used to play on, and its the same issue with those servers.

The game I am playing is Counter Strike 1.6 on Steam.

Anyone know how I can fix this? Any help is greatly apperciated!

Thanks!

I doubt it has anything to do with the OS and could be (and most likely is) related to one of the many other factors that can cause your problem. Many of those things out of your control. The only way to know for sure would be to dualboot 7 + XP and experience different results from each OS in like the same 1 hour time frame.

Are you rates set up properly?

They're probably the default settings since you're running on a fresh install.

Try entering the following commands into your console:

rate 25000

cl_cmdrate 100

cl_updaterate 100

(I'm assuming the CS: S commands are the same or similar to the 1.6 commands.. don't have 1.6 installed to check)

@Harreh - Yep, I've tried that and except for the rate which is 20000, but I've gone ahead and set it to 250000.

@Statikk - I understand where you could be coming from, but I can pretty much assure that I've tried it on another computer, and i am getting the same results as I used to when I used XP.

Does anyone else experience this issue?

I also completely uninstalled my NOD32 and disabled all the windows firewalls and what not. Still experiencing the same issues.

Edited by extremer

Do you have a router? The firewall on that might not be configured with your new OS, different network IP and whatnot. Make sure you've got all the nessesary ports forwarded to your machine.

Does Windows 7 have a compatability mode? You could try using that, or ask around in the Steam forums.

I've just went ahead and did what I could to address the issue with the router, i even have DMZ mode on my local ip, the ping is still jumping but it is now stable around the low 100's, which is a problem because I'm less than 30miles away from the actual server.

I think it's safe to assume that switching to Windows 7 inadvertently caused the ping issue. Switching back to Windows XP should bring it back to normal.

Yeah I was hoping that wouldn't be the solution :/ I'm going to try to hold out on Windows 7 for long as I can before I have to force myself to go back to XP.

Like most people, I am a gamer. After recently switching from XP to Windows 7(and in the process loosing my XP Partition :( ), I've noticed that I am now experincing pink spikes. I play on a local server, in DFW, and I live in the DFW area. I've used to get around 20-30 ping range. I still see that now, but what I also see is that I randomly jump up to 80-175ping area for the same exact server. It comes back down, but only to go back up again in a flash. It stays in that range longer than it does in the 30's. Before I've always stayed in the 30's, and I've been also testing this out on other servers, the ones I used to play on, and its the same issue with those servers.

Thanks!

Hi everybody, I'm a new guy. Lately I've been reading some Windows7 threads yall been posting. I like it over here, seems like a cool community. :)

Now to my answer...

Mate, it aint Windows7, its Steam.

I a gamer too and the only online multiplayer fps games I play are CS1.6/CZ/TF2 and CoD4.

I have no problems at all playing CoD4, but in CS1.6/CZ and TF2 I do. I get ramdom spike lags up to 200 like you mention... Then it goes back down to 30-40 only to jump up to 200 again. I also have loss and choke, more choke than loss really. So dont think its Windows7, I thought about doing a fresh XP install over the weekend, but for what? CoD4 works like a charm. It has something to do with Steam. I'll be searching for some official answers @ the Steam forum, I'll post here if I get some answers.

Btw, I have ADSL broadband (24mbit down and 3mbit up) and never had a problem with Steam before. And the reason why I blame Steam its because CoD4 works flawlessly, no spike lags, no nothing.

//krayzie to da bone.

• 11 months later...

Thanks!

First of all sorry for bringing up a dead topic but i thought i might help him after all. So.... My friend this is what u do.

1. type in search "regedit"

2. enter it

3.Go to... HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile

4. Open "network throttlingindex" and in the field that will appear type - "ffffffff" (without the "") click OK.

5.Reboot your PC

6.Have fun.

I was having problems after I switched to Windows 7 with massive lag spikes with regular intervals ( 10-20 seconds apart ) and it usually happened with UPnP enabled and only under Windows 7, XP and Vista was fine.

I later discovered it was because my ISP assigned router was having problems with IPv6 under Windows 7, which created a ton of problems. I followed this guide; http://www.home-network-help.com/disable-ipv6.html effectively

disabling IPv6 and never had any lag / ping issues since.

This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless. I must post with my signature true. I must type straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must reply to him before he replies to me. I will...

...Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We

are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is ours and there is no enemy, but peace! Hoorah!

and to the topic at hand... the solution i posted 2 days a go is for Counter Strike(1.6 or source) spikes (Random ping jumps) DO NOT try editing your Regedit if u have doubts or just dont have a clue what you doing. You might reinstall your windows at the end. Have fun.

• 1 month later...

see?you should not always blame the os but say your isp or your router.if games work fine and the ping does come down then it aint 7 and steam likes to act up.