Putting "unlimited disk space" hosts to the test

Recording of most of the call below - I like the way he can't answer any of my questions :D

http://www.upload-mp3.com/pfiles/54531/Audio%202.mp3

or

http://rapidshare.com/files/190388665/Audio_202.mp3

I was recently bored and decided to mess with HostGator and their $4.95 per month hosting package that offers "unlimted" disk space and bandwidth, so I logged in to SSH and downloaded a couple of Linux ISOs to it. Figuring it would take forever to fill their 1.4TB disk by downloading files, I ran the following command to create 1,000x 100MB files:

mkdir dummies
for((i = 0; i <= 1000; i++))
do
echo "=== $i ==="
time dd if=/dev/zero of=./dummies/$i bs=104857600 count=1
done

This was all well and good but it only used up 100GB of space... so I made 10 dummy directories and re-ran the same command (by the way, it was averaging a 100MB file write between every 0.5 secs and 1.2 secs on a dual quad). To my surprise, although the disk was completely 100% full for 2 days, I've only just had a phone call from them.

The guy came on the phone to tell me "he was shutting me down dude!" - asked him why and he said because I was using the server to create dead-space. I agreed. He said it was a violation of their TOS. I actually read their TOS before doing this and it doesn't mention using too much disk space. The only resource limitations you have is that you can't use more than 25% of the CPU and you can't have more than 50,000 'inodes' (basically files, but includes email messages etc) on the server.

The guy then contested that I was using too many inodes. At this point I was already logged in to cPanel and it reported me using about 8,100 inodes. I started recording the call just before this.

If someone wants to take a look at their TOS, tell me if I'm abusing them. I know I am and I just wanted to prove a point that nothing's unlimited, but still, their TOS doesn't say I'm breaching any rules in place :p

http://www.hostgator.com/tos.shtml

Oh, and I just got this email through:

At this time your account is being terminated for consuming the entire disk on the server gator686.

root@gator686 [/home/conquerh/www]# du -h

98G ./dummies03

98G ./dummies06

98G ./dummies07

98G ./dummies02

98G ./dummies04

90G ./dummies09

98G ./dummies05

98G ./dummies00

98G ./dummies08

98G ./dummies01

977G .

Thank you for choosing HostGator and have a wonderful day!

-- Jeremy M.

Level II

Network Security / Linux Systems Admin

HostGator Support

http://hostgator.com

https://tickets.hostgator.com - Client Ticket System

Your feedback is extremely important to us. Please rate this response at the URL below:

https://tickets.hostgator.com/rateticket/98...ce682b11ca14eda

Funny, even their feedback link doesn't work. Apparently I can only rate a response made after March 2008.

Hope you enjoyed this anyway, seeya! :D

Edit: Replied to the ticket saying:

Love you uncle HostGator!

Thank you for choosing inconsistent TOS's and have a wonderful day!

Edited by -Alex-

While that's mildly funny, that's also bad for those people who have scripts or backups running on the server at the time there is no disk space.

When the server runs out of space and file is written to it's zeroed out and there's no way for many scripts to know when the server is out of space. Thus, data is lost -- it can be a nightmare for the people involved who have month-old backups, if any at all. You can argue it's their fault, and it is to an extent, but it's still a problem for the hosting company and the users.

Just my two cents ... from someone having to deal with stuff like this before.

According to their TOS, you're not allowed to have more than 1 backup on the server, and apparently I would be breaching their TOS's if I put Linux ISOs on it because then it would be classed as a 'mirror site' as the guy explained on the phone.

So, you were being an ass and deliberately creating wasted empty space.

I would terminate any account that abused the offer, like you did, too. Shouldn't be a surprise.

you should have called them first and complained that you ran out of hard drive space and needed more because you had loads more data to store. would have been an even funnier reaction then.

I hope you told the guy that you were recording the call as oterwise you were breaking the law in that respect also...

Actually, you don't have to tell anyone you're recording the call if it's for personal use.

You do not have to give a warning that you are recording telephone calls if the recording is subsequently to be used for your own purposes.

Your own purposes does include use in any court action or claim against a person or company for harassment.

There is no problem about using telephone recordings which have been made secretly as evidence in a legitimate complaint.

Interesting experiment, not an unexpected outcome. :jump:

Watch out for the abuse youre gonna get given, I suspect users off this site are very likely to be that person on the other end of the line !

So, you were being an ass and deliberately creating wasted empty space.

I would terminate any account that abused the offer, like you did, too. Shouldn't be a surprise.

Abused? It said unlimited...

Well you could always try and get a refund

14b.) Arbitration By using any HostGator services, you agree to submit to binding arbitration. If any disputes or claims arise against HostGator or its subsidiaries, such disputes will be handled by an arbitrator of HostGator's choice. An arbitrator from the American Arbitration Association or the National Arbitration Forum will be selected in the state of Texas. Arbitrators shall be attorneys or retired judges and shall be selected pursuant to the applicable rules. All decisions rendered by the arbitrator will be binding and final. The arbitrator's award is final and binding on all parties. The Federal Arbitration Act, and not any state arbitration law, governs all arbitration under this Arbitration Clause. You are also responsible for any and all costs related to such arbitration.

Good luck with that.

I actually didnt find any of that funny.

Agreed. I mean, why abuse their services in the first place. Unlimited for the average user is probably a few GGB's at most...

I can see 3 points in their TOS that potentially make it OK to terminate your account:

HostGator reserves the right to cancel the account at any time with or without notice.
User may not: a) Use 25% or more of system resources for longer then 90 seconds.

System resources isn't limited to CPU - resources include CPU, Memory, Disk, etc.

and

or cause file system damage may be flagged for review and/or suspension.

As filling the disk up is likely to corrupt/not save data for other users.

I personally run two hosting companies, and I would have done the same as they did if I was put in this situation - it looks quite clear from their end that you were abusing the service on purpose (although technically they could have just deleted the files).

Edited by bmaher

Abused? It said unlimited...

Yeah... And they really have truly infinte number of hard drives, just for someone to store zeros. :rolleyes:

Common sense would tell most people that "unlimited" storage doesn't really exist.

if you were my customer i wouldnt of even called you lol

i would have either deleted the files in question or just make a backup (of any legit files, no isos ect ect), cancel the account and email you a link of your site backup and thank you for being a now former customer :)

its like comcast and all the others saying unlimited this or that, there are restrictions as noted regarding abuse, i mean why bother trying to side step the rules? youre only f-n it up for the rest of us :)

Just found this on their blog which is quite interested, proving once and for all it's purely a marketing strategy:

http://blog.hostgator.com/2008/10/20/all-y...an-eat-hosting/

If history repeats itself, renaming the plan from essentially unlimited to actually “unlimited” will increase our sales by at least 30%.

It’s really that simple.

We change an unlimited plan to say “unlimited” and bam — sales increase 30%, if not more.

<snip>

When a hosting company hops on the overselling bandwagon, their sales usually increase exponentially.

Following on from this, on another blog entry (http://blog.hostgator.com/2007/10/06/selling-out/) they even call their unlimited disk space/bandwidth plans "scam plans":

These are all scam plans because like most hosts we have something called a Terms of Service that mentions CPU and memory limits. It is close to impossible to use what we are all selling you without being suspended for going over CPU and memory.

<snip>

It’s the CPU and memory that has a real value. A server will usually become extremely overloaded way before you ever get close to using the amount of disk quota and bandwidth it comes with.

<snip>

Anyone we find crashing a server will be moved onto a server with only twenty accounts on it for the same monthly hosting price, instead of being suspended. Twenty customers will be paying us just shy of $200 a month on a server which at our cost has a $1,200 setup and about $250 a month leasing fee. You heard me… We are going to be giving abusers hosting below our cost. I’m not even factoring in merchant fees, support costs, or server administration time! If this isn’t good enough for the less then .5% of customers that crash our servers then there just isn’t any pleasing them.

Edited by -Alex-

Of course it's a marketing strategy. Why else would they say it's "unlimited"? Anyone with a neocortex could figure that out. :geek:

Common sense would tell most people that "unlimited" storage doesn't really exist.

Actually no. A lot of non-techies have no idea how webhosts work and assume they're getting what is advertised.

While that's mildly funny, that's also bad for those people who have scripts or backups running on the server at the time there is no disk space.

When the server runs out of space and file is written to it's zeroed out and there's no way for many scripts to know when the server is out of space. Thus, data is lost -- it can be a nightmare for the people involved who have month-old backups, if any at all. You can argue it's their fault, and it is to an extent, but it's still a problem for the hosting company and the users.

Just my two cents ... from someone having to deal with stuff like this before.

IMO the host is at fault. Yes the OP purposely took advantage but if their claims were true then he shouldn't have had any issues.

Yeah... And they really have truly infinte number of hard drives, just for someone to store zeros. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I mean, why abuse their services in the first place. Unlimited for the average user is probably a few GGB's at most...

If they can't provide the service why do they advertise they can? It is all a BS deceptive marketing scam that many hosts do. It is impossible to offer "Unlimited" bandwidth and "Unlimited" disk space so why do they tell their clients they can get it for a low monthly payment of $3.99?

I can see 3 points in their TOS that potentially make it OK to terminate your account:

System resources isn't limited to CPU - resources include CPU, Memory, Disk, etc.

I don't think you can really classify Disk Space in this category. You can't offer a resource just to restrict that same resource in a TOS. Since the plan they purchase doesn't specify any limits on CPU, Memory, Disk IO, etc. that can all be limited by the TOS but I think limits on disk space are already in place by the plan they purchased.