HTC Magic phone

The phone feels amazing, MUCH better quality than any of the phones I manhandled in phone shops and 100x better than the Nokia 5800 - the screen itself feels like solid glass, has that cold solid feel to it. I have upgraded from a Sony Ericsson K800i and have had the new Nokia 5800 Xpress Music.

The UI is very snappy, reminds me of Windows 7, the animations as each window slides and fades is fast and slick. The keypad is awesome too and responsive. Easy to type fast in both orientations. The Google Account integration is amazing, I can now keep my mobile contacts in Gmail under a contacts group I created called "Androidees" and tell the phone only to display these contacts.

I love it, it really is an amazing phone to use as a communication tool, the settings seem to be very easy to set and use and gadgets will improve them further from the marketplace. I've not ventured into the other settings yet as I have to first get all my phonebook contacts into Gmail now :p

I also really like the way the phone charges fast via USB, I am not going to use the plugin charger and just keep it in the car to take when travelling incase people I visit don't have a spare USB slot.

Pics:

It's MUCH smaller and lighter than you think when looking at PR photos, I have small hands for example and look how small it is. Amazed at how solid it's built though considering the size and weight!

htcmagic_handed.jpg

htcmagic_back.jpg

And back to mental age of 13 we go:p

htcmagic_lolboobs.jpg

htcmagic_front.jpg

htcmagic_thickness.jpg

htcmagic_withcase.jpg

Edit*

More pics:

htcmagic_customised.jpg

htcmagic_slide.jpg

htcmagic_open.jpg

Edited by mrk

Woah, that's interesting.

Not sure I'm wild on the curvature on the bottom, but I could live with it.

How do you think it compares to the BB Bold or the iPhone 3G?

And, do you think this is a rival for the iPhone 3.0?

Medking

:D

I've no idea if tmobile are getting, I assume so but Vodafone have a 4 month exclusive on it for now :)

Media wise there is a H264 player app out so you can play basic H264/mpeg4 files and of course all my older mobile vids from the sony ericsson work fine too.

Images work as expected :)

My friend has the iPhone and I really like it but I prefer the full Google integration with the HTC instead of just the gmail aspect on the iPhone!

The Android marketplace is growing so expect to see many more good apps be released :)

I was going to get one then noticed Vodafone crippled some of the stuff on the phone. Plus I think I will wait until Android has had the chance to improve which will probably take a year.

Some very nice pictures there though :) Looks smaller than I thought it would be.

I've had a chance to play with camcorder and camera, the video quality is decent at around 352x288 - no options to change any special settings for camcorder or camera though and in low light the picture quality is not very good - obviously the camera isn't primary focus so this will be what I look forward to on the next Android phone!

I can now look forward to the next phone too because I know I won't have to manually import all my contacts again, it just syncs with Google!

now if Google were to release an Android backup feature that backs up your Android settings to your Google account making use of that mailbox space that would be awesome!

Nice... your tempting me to move to the HTC Magic instead of waiting for the HTC Diamond 2, can you post some more shots of the interface please.

I'll be posting a video this afternoon :)

Just ordered one of these, I was rather taken to Android when I had a go with it, so thought i'd take the plunge. Got a very good deal with vodafone too so can't complain.

Beautiful looking piece of kit that. Just installed the cupcake update onto my G1 and it takes Android to a new level, it is now unquestionably better than the iPhone OS

I too have an SE K800i and would like to upgrade to a touch phone. I was really considering the iPhone, but now this looks amazing. What OS does it use, I hate Nokia Symbian and wasn't sure about the HTC diamond and such due to windows mobile?

Anymore shots? What are the specs? Wifi? Space? Removable memory? etc....

Great work!! (Y)

Is T-Mobile going to get these, i want one soooo bad! :woot:

Second that, a possible upgrade for those using the G1?

Windows Mobile is like using Windows 1.0 on a phone compared to androids Windows 7, and thats not a fanboy talking i use a WM6.1 phone atm.

The G1 is coming to Rogers in 23 days:

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless...ones?content3=a

I don't know about the HTC Magic though.

Ye, after posting the msg here i saw that rogers gonna bring it soon... Wonder if it will take another year to get the G2.

And i wonder if Fido will be giving the G1 aswell?! Rogers bought them sometime ago......

I too have an SE K800i and would like to upgrade to a touch phone. I was really considering the iPhone, but now this looks amazing. What OS does it use, I hate Nokia Symbian and wasn't sure about the HTC diamond and such due to windows mobile?

Anymore shots? What are the specs? Wifi? Space? Removable memory? etc....

Great work!! (Y)

The wifi supports B/G networks and I use WPA2-AES on my wifi (DLink DIR-655 Wireless N) which works perfectly. It comes with a 2GB microSD card and supports bigger, internal memory is 512MB of which half is currently free.

Thanks folks!

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhp8SiY3LR8 (or will be once Youtube processes the HD version!)

how is the battery life? my friend has the G1 from tmobile and i would play around with it and the battery life was horrible. Do you have any specs on the battery life? or have u seen it go out fast?

The wifi supports B/G networks and I use WPA2-AES on my wifi (DLink DIR-655 Wireless N) which works perfectly. It comes with a 2GB microSD card and supports bigger, internal memory is 512MB of which half is currently free.

Thanks folks!

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhp8SiY3LR8 (or will be once Youtube processes the HD version!)

Quick Q, does it support WPA-Enterprise?