HTC Magic phone

how is the battery life? my friend has the G1 from tmobile and i would play around with it and the battery life was horrible. Do you have any specs on the battery life? or have u seen it go out fast?

I'f I'm not browsing heavy stuff on it I leave it in 2G mode, turn off wifi and also GPS detection, these things do take away battery life a fair bit (to be expected!) when in use. I did however leave wifi on all night and fell asleep only to find it drained 7% from 100% in the morning so looks if it's left idle then the battery life hit is much lesser.

I'm charging it right now to do a battery life test on normal usage so will report back in a few days to say how long that full charge lasted.

I'm not sure if it supports WPA-Enterprise, I would assume it should be able to connect to any standard Wireless b/g network though and if it supports WPA2-AES then it should connect to Enterprise too?

nice images, the phone looks great and i am one of those that is waiting on T-Mobile to get it so i can cop one. Also i will be checking back this thread to see how the battery life is, because the G1 batt's life sucked the big kaboodle so let's hope this is better.

Ye, after posting the msg here i saw that rogers gonna bring it soon... Wonder if it will take another year to get the G2.

And i wonder if Fido will be giving the G1 aswell?! Rogers bought them sometime ago......

They're both coming around the same time

Source

They're both coming around the same time

Source

Problem is, i'm with Fido so it doesnt help me much :) Unless Fido will sell it aswell, after all Rogers and Fido are the same company today.

The wifi supports B/G networks and I use WPA2-AES on my wifi (DLink DIR-655 Wireless N) which works perfectly. It comes with a 2GB microSD card and supports bigger, internal memory is 512MB of which half is currently free.

Thanks folks!

The video is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhp8SiY3LR8 (or will be once Youtube processes the HD version!)

Great video.

Very jealous! But I'm still not sure I would enjoy texting on a touchscreen

Great video.

Very jealous! But I'm still not sure I would enjoy texting on a touchscreen

It takes few days to get used to texting with a touchscreen but then it's great. I used the old iPhone (first version) before i changed to the BB Pearl and it was great texting with it.

But I'm still not sure I would enjoy texting on a touchscreen

I'm using Cupcake on a G1 and I'm finding the vk very handy and actually quite easy to type on (takes a bit getting used to). The auto suggest thing is also quite smart and can detect common typing errors, e.g. 'm' instead of 'n'.

You cannot quickly switch between open apps and windows, a taskmanager would have been handy!

Long press Home button ;)

Long press Home button ;)

That only brings up a list of your most recently used applications, not necessarily all apps that are running

Installed a modded copy of the Cupcake update (with root, Multi-Touch browser, and Apps to SD) and I can say that even without these features, Android is an absolutely awesome phone OS, which has some very neat features. The animations are slick, the OS is every bit as fast as looking as the iPhone OS.

Cupcake brings Android into line with other smartphone OSes and the customisability is just incredible, once more devices start getting packaged with Android (which will be happening now the on screen keyboard makes smaller form factor devices possible) Android will emerge as a real competitor.

Man im not much for a full touch phone without a physical keypad but damn that thing is sexy, a damn nice phone. I could see it replacing my newly purchased G1.

That only brings up a list of your most recently used applications, not necessarily all apps that are running

Installed a modded copy of the Cupcake update (with root, Multi-Touch browser, and Apps to SD) and I can say that even without these features, Android is an absolutely awesome phone OS, which has some very neat features. The animations are slick, the OS is every bit as fast as looking as the iPhone OS.

Cupcake brings Android into line with other smartphone OSes and the customisability is just incredible, once more devices start getting packaged with Android (which will be happening now the on screen keyboard makes smaller form factor devices possible) Android will emerge as a real competitor.

Is the phone faster than the iPhone though? I really hate waiting for things to load!

Is the phone faster than the iPhone though? I really hate waiting for things to load!

Yep, every bit as fast. Has a dual core Qualcomm CPU and 192MB of ram. Pretty slick piece of kit, being based on Linux they have been able to make Android pretty lean and packed full of features.

When is it going to be available in the UK? Also, what would the prices be? I wouldn't mind paying this on Payasyougo.

It isn't, ebay has the devices listed as ~?400 unlocked. Would like some thoughts from people who have this phone and have experiences with an iPhone and recommend which one is better. I have a iPhone 3G you see.

Workmate has an iPhone and the HTC is more futureproof IMO and slicker in general.

Can I ask how the HTC is more "futureproof"?

Well you're not locked to anything specific, all UK HTC Magic phones are sim unlocked for example, all the cool apps are free for the moment, the OS is very fast and there is a huge developer community doing things with the first Android OS and now starting work on 1.5 for Magic.