Windows 7 E Second RTM?

BRUSSELS -- Microsoft Corp. has offered to provide rival browsers alongside its own Internet Explorer when it ships the next version of Windows, in order to settle a European antitrust case, the European Commission said Friday.

"Microsoft has proposed a consumer ballot screen as a solution to the pending antitrust case," the commission said in a press release.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1248456218...tml#mod=testMod

Looks like Windows 7 E might RTM again as they add a ballot screen?

I hope this doesn't delay the European launch of Windows 7.

This is just stupid, I don't need a ballot screen, I can quite happily do without extra bloody options in setup. I like how it is at the moment.

Microsoft has proposed? I thought the EU proposed that months ago before MS had a cry and removed IE completely.

Yeap it was the EU's initial idea, but MS decided to drop IE altogether and now it seems they have decided to put IE back + a ballot screen. Since 7 has RTM'd that would mean they would need to do a whole new EU specific build of Windows 7 and test and RTM that one after adding such a screen.

So the EU will probably see a delayed Windows 7 release date and def. will see a different "build" then the rest of the world. Making the "RTM" E version floating around not the real deal anymore...

Yeap it was the EU's initial idea, but MS decided to drop IE altogether and now it seems they have decided to put IE back + a ballot screen. Since 7 has RTM'd that would mean they would need to do a whole new EU specific build of Windows 7 and test and RTM that one after adding such a screen.

So the EU will probably see a delayed Windows 7 release date and def. will see a different "build" then the rest of the world. Making the "RTM" E version floating around not the real deal anymore...

Argh...I hope you're wrong and it doesn't delay the launch. I'm only going to go and install Firefox anyway.

I can't imagine that this would delay the launch, but it depends on how soon they (Assuming they do) recompile and send out the RTM for E

I can't imagine that this would delay the launch, but it depends on how soon they (Assuming they do) recompile and send out the RTM for E

Yea it is def. too early to say if it will delay the launch at all, but I'm assuming it might as they would have to code the ballot screen, test the ballot screen and its implementation, and get Opera and Firefox rolled into the Windows install and all that jazz...

I'd estimate at least a month for all of that to happen... I have no idea how a late August early September RTM would affect an October GA.

We all know what this means, the same as IE8 setup...

"click next to install with default settings" which is essientally all the microsoft live search box etc.

We all know what this means, the same as IE8 setup...

"click next to install with default settings" which is essientally all the microsoft live search box etc.

I thought it was click here to keep your same settings, not default.

so are they going to add a ballot screen for ****ty video players like Real Player to get rid of that longstanding lawsuit? Will they preempt the EU by adding a ballot screen for text editors too ?

mkay, any other source of this amazing news?

hope they just give instead of ballot screen some links to download... i cant imagine another solution - updating .WIM image after any browser release >_>

and you guys always complain that you get things last!! I wonder why ? Enjoy your rediculous beaurocracies EU.

i love my EU beaurocrats, because they dont trade human organs... ;p

anyway, afair that was microsoft idea to remove IE8 from windows 7; leaving it as optional component avaible after installation (like Drive Conveter in 98, you know what i mean) would be a better and less painful idea

Can't believe they are doing a ballot screen though it's going to be absolutely hilarious if Opera is left out.

I think something like you open IE for the first time, it's a web page listing the top browsers with massive icons and download links. Choose one or stick to IE. Job done. Easy way to do it.

and you guys always complain that you get things last!! I wonder why ? Enjoy your rediculous beaurocracies EU.

Relax, I'm not from the EU ;)

<---- Notice on the left there it says Philadelphia, PA (USA) ;)

Those that complain are those who do not agree with what the EU has done. We don't really have a hand in the matter so we moan :)

My word, I hope they don't do this.

I want a minimalist install disc. I was very happy with the way it was.

Don't you dare change it, Microsoft! :p

My word, I hope they don't do this.

I want a minimalist install disc. I was very happy with the way it was.

Don't you dare change it, Microsoft! :p

You want an install disc to have the bare minimum on it? Can we reuse Windows install disks or something?

Hopefully it will just be a little page which downloads the installer from a specific url.

If only they released it in Australia as well. :(

If this is true, then I damn well hope that this is the list they include:

- IE

- Firefox

- Chrome

- Safari

Choose one or more of the above to be installed automatically.

If this is true, then I damn well hope that this is the list they include:

- IE

- Firefox

- Chrome

- Safari

Choose one or more of the above to be installed automatically.

According to Wikipedia theres a 1% difference between Chrome (1.8%) and Opera (0.7%), so you can't really argue that Opera is to insignificant and shouldn't be added while having Chrome as well.

In reality its Chrome that doesn't belong, its only a year old I think?

According to Wikipedia theres a 1% difference between Chrome (1.8%) and Opera (0.7%), so you can't really argue that Opera is to insignificant and shouldn't be added while having Chrome as well.

In reality its Chrome that doesn't belong, its only a year old I think?

That's the funny part.

Or to make it a little more fair only include browsers that have more than 10% of the market share.

that makes the ballot essentially just IE and Firefox.