Zune on Windows Phone Mango

The problem with using Zune Marketplace for podcasts is that that's only out in the US atm. Although I've never understood why the podcast directory couldn't be global... maybe they'll flick the switch with this.

I dunno why that limit is there but I have to expect it'll go global with mango since the update brings direct podcast support in the first place. Makes no sense to limit something that's got nothing to do with something like music licensing that could hold/limit a song from being sold anywhere etc.

Nice to see they've added the Bio & Similar Artist's in from Zune.... though unfortunate that is was the exact same day I put an app on the marketplace that actually adds in that functionality :p

*plug* http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=e21fa9cd-4681-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Still, they didn't add in Artist Photos so I still have something going for me! (It would actually be nice for them to add it in :L)

Smart DJ, Bio & photo's are some of the things I missed the most from Zune HD so that's good (along with Zune HD's awesome subtle 3D layer tilting effect throughout the entire interface, but I doubt we'll ever see that :( ).

Now, if Microsoft would only get that awesome Zune HD now playing screensaver put on Windows Phone 7, I'd be a very content user :laugh:

Nice to see they've added the Bio & Similar Artist's in from Zune.... though unfortunate that is was the exact same day I put an app on the marketplace that actually adds in that functionality :p

*plug* http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=e21fa9cd-4681-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Still, they didn't add in Artist Photos so I still have something going for me! (It would actually be nice for them to add it in :L)

Smart DJ, Bio & photo's are some of the things I missed the most from Zune HD so that's good (along with Zune HD's awesome subtle 3D layer tilting effect throughout the entire interface, but I doubt we'll ever see that :( ).

Now, if Microsoft would only get that awesome Zune HD now playing screensaver put on Windows Phone 7, I'd be a very content user :laugh:

Doesn't seem like they're going to bother with any sorta screensaver and instead just turn the screen off to save as much battery as they can. Another thing I like and that no one has talked about is how the controlls are now bigger which make it easier to hit quick. Also love the fact that the control now stay showing on the lockscreen if you've started playing something etc, one less button press to get to them now.

Doesn't seem like they're going to bother with any sorta screensaver and instead just turn the screen off to save as much battery as they can. Another thing I like and that no one has talked about is how the controlls are now bigger which make it easier to hit quick. Also love the fact that the control now stay showing on the lockscreen if you've started playing something etc, one less button press to get to them now.

They apparently also overlap exactly on tap of the Zune app controls, which is nice :)

The controls already stay on lockscreen if something is playing, don't they? I start playing something and then lock the phone; now if I press the lock button again, the screen lights up with controls on top and then slowly roll up. Or do you mean that they stay on screen and don't fade away?

They apparently also overlap exactly on tap of the Zune app controls, which is nice :)

The controls already stay on lockscreen if something is playing, don't they? I start playing something and then lock the phone; now if I press the lock button again, the screen lights up with controls on top and then slowly roll up. Or do you mean that they stay on screen and don't fade away?

They should now stay on and not fade away unless you pause probably, in which case the artist now-playing art also goes away so I figure the controls will fade away in time as well. But if music is playing they'll always be there at the top now on the lockscreen.

http://anythingbutiphone.com/3299

• 2 weeks later...

Just after I wrote that, I pretty much slapped myself in the head. I'm a Windows Phone Developers, and I've actually recreated that Zune HD / Zune Software screensaver before, why am I not doing it myself?! :shifty: So I did.

So... enjoy? :p It's still in BETA form at the moment, but it's stable :p (I would have finished it, but it was arduous work, so I put out what I had as a BETA and comeback to it when my mind is fresh to finish it up)

NT49xl.jpgkHazwl.jpgAfw9bl.jpg

(random: Pictures taken with an LG Optimus 7, which looked terribly blue on screen, but the colours look quite okay here, coincidently uploaded with my Imgur Uploader app: http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=629edadb-d08b-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8 )

If you wanna try it, just download my Artist Info app : http://social.zune.net/redirect?type=phoneApp&id=e21fa9cd-4681-e011-986b-78e7d1fa76f8

Well that's certainly enough plugging for a good month :laugh:

Good article, I love all the small bugs that MS is ironing out. The attention to detail is going to really help them out here, now one major miss is landscape viewing, which the above poster mentioned. Landscape not only for zune, but for all apps, even the home screen needs it. Imagine how easy that would be making the home screen horizontal, just turn all the tiles 90 degrees.

Good article, I love all the small bugs that MS is ironing out. The attention to detail is going to really help them out here, now one major miss is landscape viewing, which the above poster mentioned. Landscape not only for zune, but for all apps, even the home screen needs it. Imagine how easy that would be making the home screen horizontal, just turn all the tiles 90 degrees.

What about the double-wide tiles though? Those don't exactly rotate 90 degrees without any issue like the normal square tiles do. They'd have to rotate the tiles in sections to account for any double wide tiles. I'm thinking 2 rows at a time so that the double wide tile would shift under two square tiles and so on. Dunno how complex that'll be to do though.

• 1 month later...

Just after I wrote that, I pretty much slapped myself in the head. I'm a Windows Phone Developers, and I've actually recreated that Zune HD / Zune Software screensaver before, why am I not doing it myself?! :shifty: So I did.

Wow Johnny, I'm impressed! I really missed that one featured from my Zune HD on my WP7 but I'm glad in some way it is back! I see you implemented some new interesting animations for the screensaver; now if only the app would run for itself after a certain X time after I play a song or better, if Microsoft could bring this back and let the user enable/disable at his will!