Rumor: iPhone 3GS Won

That's a point new 3GSs are still being sold today those customers will get only a few weeks worth of updates :/

Well, then those customers didn't do their research. Not sure why anyone would save $100 on a phone while signing up for a $20-$30/mo additional data plan for 2 years.

Time the iPhone 3G and 3Gs users upgraded anyway! :laugh:

I don't see who in their right mind has the money to upgrade their phone every 2 years, if you're on a contract then yeah, you can do that. Any other means then you can't cheaply anyway.

At least in the US phones are dirt cheap in comparison. It just seems like a waste to pay to change your phone every 2 years...

update or not, I'm not planning to buy a new (i)Phone

that iOS 5 will be nothing good imo, only disadvantages (more features I will not use and a battery that will go from 100% to 0% in just few hours ..)

I don't see who in their right mind has the money to upgrade their phone every 2 years, if you're on a contract then yeah, you can do that. Any other means then you can't cheaply anyway.

At least in the US phones are dirt cheap in comparison. It just seems like a waste to pay to change your phone every 2 years...

Well most cell phone users in the US are on contracts, especially iPhone owners. AT&T even let me upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 after one year for the $199 subsidized price.

Well most cell phone users in the US are on contracts, especially iPhone owners. AT&T even let me upgrade from the 3GS to the 4 after one year for the $199 subsidized price.

I guess I'm just a poor student then. :laugh:

About, android... sure lucky to get 6 months... but that's only official and security updates. Other then that the end user can generally take it upon themselves to continue to keep up to date such as HTC Dream still able to run gingerbread 3 years later and probably even have ice cream sandwich for those crazy enough to still have it lol. Unfortunately can't really do the same with ipod/phone/pad firmwares. Sure it'd be fine to carry on using it on final firmware but Apple also goes out of it's way to have application firmware version restrictions in app store so not only do you get no new firmware updates but you're also restricted to legacy apps and updates. This is very similar to androids fragmentation but people just don't go cry wolf as much they just go buy into another 24-36 months of it with new device.

As a 3GS owner this doesn't annoy me. If they keep supporting the old RAM, CPU and GPU's of the older phones it will only hold back iOS in the future. I'll probably buy an iPhone 5 whenever it launches.

that iOS 5 will be nothing good imo, only disadvantages (more features I will not use and a battery that will go from 100% to 0% in just few hours ..)

Oh so you have used iOS 5 already and know exactly what features it will contain? :) Great! Share some insight with us. But you seem to be special anyways, because usually, everyone seems to be complaining about iOSes LACK of features. So I will call BS. :)

Not surprising really, given what Apple has done in the past. But I don't think so. Not until a new version of the iPhone comes out and by the looks of it, it doesn't really seem like they would release something new at WWDC.

But supporting the last two generations of a phone is pretty generous, really. Now it's iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, then it's iPhone 5/4S/whatever and iPhone 4... Makes perfect sense. And yeah, I'm going to cramp out that Android-argument: You are lucky if you still get updates after 6 months, with some phones and carriers, let alone getting updates when they actually are released by Google...

That's a point new 3GSs are still being sold today those customers will get only a few weeks worth of updates :/

[/quote

Sales of 3GS on AT&T beat many new Android smartphone (I think it is second most popular smartphone)

Just slightly under 2 years ago I paid a significant sum of money for my iPhone 3Gs... As a consumer I have to say...

Fair play to Apple on this one. 3Gs isn't gonna suddenly become defunkt because it doesn't support IOS5, it will still do all that it did (and more) than the day I bought it.