Rumor: Mac OS X 10.7 Lion near to going live

That?s not entirely true. Mac OS X Tiger was released in April or May 2005 from what I remember.

But not without a keynote to introduce it.

Was there one for the GM?

I stand corrected - there was no keynote for the public release of Tiger. Then again that was in 2005. Things have changed somewhat since.

There is no way Lion will be released before Jobs announces it in the keynote. 'You can download it now from the Mac App Store. For the low price of only $79.'

Leopard never had a keynote release, either: They stated October 26 earlier at WWDC, and on that date it was just released.

No way, they usually will release another point update after the next major release

Usually? It happened once. Mac OS X Tiger was the only one to receive such an update after the next major Mac OS X version was released...

I stand corrected - there was no keynote for the public release of Tiger. Then again that was in 2005. Things have changed somewhat since.

There is no way Lion will be released before Jobs announces it in the keynote. 'You can download it now from the Mac App Store. For the low price of only $79.'

Let's be realistic here: There's really no way for you to say that for sure. As stated before Mac OS X Tiger wasn't the only release that didn't receive a keynote when it became available to the general public.

The only new thing about Terminal is the transparency and full screen.

I don't care about transparency. I do care about full screen and ability to define your own colours. Hardly ground breaking right? Yet it never had that until Lion.

I'm still waiting for 256 colour support.

Ahhh. Full screen command lines, that'll remind me good ol' DOS.

Are you seriously comparing DOS to unix? Blasphemy! :p

• Like 1

I don't care about transparency. I do care about full screen and ability to define your own colours. Hardly ground breaking right? Yet it never had that until Lion.

You can change background, text and cursor colors in Terminal as long as I can remember. Not sure what other colors you're referring to?

• Like 3

You can change background, text and cursor colors in Terminal as long as I can remember. Not sure what other colors you're referring to?

You couldn't customise the ANSI colours without resorting to a SIMBL hack.

• Like 1

I can see no way to use a background in the Terminal Window either (other than solid colour)

• Like 1

Usually? It happened once. Mac OS X Tiger was the only one to receive such an update after the next major Mac OS X version was released...

I guess I was wrong :blush:

• Like 1

I can see no way to use a background in the Terminal Window either (other than solid colour)

I was talking about background colors only, not a background picture.

• Like 1

Don?t worry, there?s already an infinity of possibilities for your terminal window right now. You CAN change a lot of colors already since at least Leopard, probably was there before though.

Infinity is a strong word. Snow Leopard's Terminal doesn't ship with controls to let you customise the ANSI colours. Terminal.app in Lion doesn't do 256 colours either.

Just to be clear, I'm not talking about picking a colour for general foreground text, nor picking a background colour. I'm talking about this:

ANSI escape sequences are characters embedded in the text used to control formatting, color, and other output options on video text terminals. Almost all terminal emulators designed to show text output from a remote computer, and (except for Windows) to show text output from local software, interpret at least some of the ANSI escape sequences.

• Like 1

My own theory about the release of Lion is that it won't be available for purchase via Mac App Store or in retail stores before between the 22nd through 26th of june 2011.

Apple sometimes takes a breather between 2 and 2 and a half week before giving out what they have presented on WWDC or before that, MacWorld.

I'm most often proven wrong in my predictions. And something is on the horizon with the Mac App Store, that's for sure. I'll be there, staring at the screen waiting for Steve to say "It's GO TIME, folks! Download, download, download" "Oh yeah, and empty the Trash"

• Like 1

Well they said "Summer 2011", which begins June 21st and ends September 20th.

The latest Developer Preview 3 has its good and its great points, but it has a lot of dreadful points which need a lot of time to be addressed. I am particularly eager to see this WWDC this year, because that?ll confirm if they had a build being developed in parallel or not.

Basically, what I?m saying is : if they had a secret build waiting in their labs all this time, it can be released in no time. If Developer Preview 3 they gave to developers was the latest and greatest from their lab, I?m expecting a release in the end of July, mid-August. However, it would make no sense that they would present a product that already exists, they never do that at Apple. I?m expecting a brand new build with fixed features and even more new and revolutionary features.

By the way a lot of sites are reporting "aggressive pricing", which could lead it to $29 :)

If it?s $129, I?ll still be buying it with my Educational rebate for $59 for my 3 iMacs here ?

• Like 1

Well they said "Summer 2011", which begins June 21st and ends September 20th.

The latest Developer Preview 3 has its good and its great points, but it has a lot of dreadful points which need a lot of time to be addressed. I am particularly eager to see this WWDC this year, because that?ll confirm if they had a build being developed in parallel or not.

Basically, what I?m saying is : if they had a secret build waiting in their labs all this time, it can be released in no time. If Developer Preview 3 they gave to developers was the latest and greatest from their lab, I?m expecting a release in the end of July, mid-August. However, it would make no sense that they would present a product that already exists, they never do that at Apple. I?m expecting a brand new build with fixed features and even more new and revolutionary features.

By the way a lot of sites are reporting "aggressive pricing", which could lead it to $29 :)

If it?s $129, I?ll still be buying it with my Educational rebate for $59 for my 3 iMacs here ?

i also expect it to be a mid august release, My bet is that apple is just going announce the golden master releases before it goes public and maybe show some new features, i dont think that apple is finished with lion yet...

in terms of pricing i think that apple may stick with the same price strategy as that of snow leopard

• Like 1

I don't know if you're getting your Lion preview the legitimate way or not but if you are you should know that the 10.7.0 release IS included with your developer account (10.6.0 is currently available in both regular and server version right now)

• Like 1

Considering Apple hasn't shown a GM to developers yet, I don't think there's much chance they're releasing at WWDC. I think Lion is well on track to release this summer though.

Considering Apple hasn't shown a GM to developers yet, I don't think there's much chance they're releasing at WWDC. I think Lion is well on track to release this summer though.

Hopefully Apple will show off a second set of major features at WWDC releasing the first feature complete Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion soon thereafter.

Hopefully Apple will show off a second set of major features at WWDC releasing the first feature complete Developer Preview of Mac OS X Lion soon thereafter.

I do not expect any other features other than what was already announced. When did Apple say that they will announce more features?

• Like 1

I do not expect any other features other than what was already announced. When did Apple say that they will announce more features?

It wouldn't be the first time for this to happen: Both Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard saw additional features introduced later on.

To return the question: Where did I say that Apple said something about this? I'm merely hoping there will be more to Mac OS X Lion than what we see today.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be the first time for this to happen: Both Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard saw additional features introduced later on.

To return the question: Where did I say that Apple said something about this? I'm merely hoping there will be more to Mac OS X Lion than what we see today.

Since many of us don't have access to the actual seed notes and documentation - I wonder what things are complete, what need completing and what things people are talking about as 'incomplete' but are just Apple choosing not to extend support to a particular piece of hardware (for example, OpenGL 3.x to machines older than xyz).

• Like 1