Sam Allardyce appointed West Ham United manager

Sam Allardyce appointed West Ham United manager

Sam Allardyce has taken over as manager of West Ham following the club's relegation to the Championship.

The ex-Blackburn' date=' Newcastle and Bolton boss replaces Avram Grant, who was sacked after the Hammers' relegation from the top flight with one game left.

"It's a fantastic club with a great tradition and loyal supporters," said 56-year-old Allardyce.

"I wouldn't have taken this job if I didn't think we could bounce straight back into the Premier League."

West Ham caretaker manager Kevin Keen, who took charge for the last game of the season, a 3-0 home defeat by Sunderland, had stated his desire to lead them in the Championship.

However, Keen has no formal managerial experience, apart from looking after West Ham's reserve team.

Allardyce wants to sign several players in an attempt to gain promotion at the first attempt and has pledged to install a "winning mentality" at Upton Park.

"I couldn't have contemplated the job if I didn't think there was the opportunity to build something substantial at West Ham," he added.

Allardyce was surprisingly sacked from his role as Blackburn manager in December after three defeats in five games and with Rovers 13th in the Premier League - five points above the relegation zone.

The Lancashire club slipped deeper into the battle to avoid the drop following Allardyce's exit and were only guaranteed another season in the top flight by beating Wolves 3-2 at Molineux on the final day of the campaign.[/quote']

Source - BBC Sport

It may not be the perfect appointment, but for the predicament we find ourselves in, it may be the best we can hope for. Having said that, not too pleased to hear about the Martin O'Neil to Cardiff rumours. If they can get him, then once again the owners will have made a serious error in this appointment.

Don't fool yourself.

As a Blackburn fan, I'm jealous. You don't fully realise what you have until you've lost it.

The article says when he was sacked that we were only 5 points above the relegation zone. While true, we were also only 3 points away from 6th place. He was sacked at a time when the entire league from 4th place to 20th was separated by about six points.

I think you know how I feel about this Zoom but yeah if he does the job fantastic but i have a feeling six months time he will be out of a job