[NBA] Shaquille O'Neal announces his retirement

Shaquille O'Neal announces his retirement

Shaquille O'Neal says he is retiring from the NBA after a professional career spanning nearly two decades.

O'Neal, 39, made the announcement via a video he posted on social networking site Twitter.

"We did it. Nineteen years baby. I want to thank you very much, that's why I'm telling you first, I'm about to retire," O'Neal said in the message.

A spokesman for the Boston Celtics - O'Neal's current team - says the player has not notified them of his plans.

During his 19-year career, O'Neal has played for six teams - Orlando Magic, Los Angeles Lakers, Miami Heat, Phoenix Suns, Cleveland Cavaliers and, most recently, Boston Celtics.

He has won four NBA titles - three with Orlando and the last with Miami - and was named as the league's Most Valuable Player in 2000.

However, he has played only intermittently in recent seasons for Cleveland and Boston.

He has played just 37 games this year, which is the first of a two-year deal at the 7ft 1in player's minimum salary. He has made just three appearances since 1 February.

O'Neal has regularly rebranded himself with new nicknames and in a second video, posted on Twitter shortly after the first, he said to his fans: "I know you heard I just announced I'm retired so I need your help, help me come up with a new nickname."

Source: BBC Sport

O'Neal is the Brett Favre of bascketball. A truly great player in his prime but never knew when to retire. now his legacy has worn off. Still I salute you Shaq, I will always remember your destroying dunks.

He has won four NBA titles - three with Orlando and the last with Miami - and was named as the league's Most Valuable Player in 2000.

Ummm....he won 3 with the Lakers and one with Miami. 0 with Orlando.

Ummm....he won 3 with the Lakers and one with Miami. 0 with Orlando.

I was just gona say ... now I dont believe if the rest of the article is credible or not. jeez.