Are most stock microsd in WP crap ?

So I got my Dell Venue Pro but the performance of the built-in card is so-so, occasionally, it will freeze up during high IO operations. I took the risk voiding my warranty and swap out the 16GB card with another 32GB card I bought from Adata, the performance is so beautiful now. Things are much smoother and it works perfectly even when I download a lot of apps concurrently.

What are your experiences with OEM microsd card in your WP7 phones ? Did you swap them out with better card ?

your phone probably had a bad SD card then.

most peopel experience the opposite, replacign the built in card with anythign results in unstable system and frequent crashes, and often a slow system despite a higher rated card. Even when you use the lists of cards that "work"

Void the warranty to replace the SD card? Are you sure?

Yup, there was a void sticker and you need to take that off to get access to the card.

@Hawkman: I did my researches carefully before buying the card. Most of the high class cards are tuned to have very high sequential speeds and their random read/write speed suffers. Most people still have the wrong impression that higher speed classes are better even though it is not true. I would say the class works best for WP7 phones are class 2 and class 4. Mine was an Adata 32GB class 4 microsd and it works beautifully.

I'll probably try to rpelace the card in my Trophy around Mango time. It's a bit more work with peeling foil though.

Most likely, yours will have a Sandisk Class 2/4 8GB. That card isn't bad but the random IOPS for write is a bit bad so the phone might not feel as responsive at times. Here are some numbers I found:

Sequential Read : 19.049 MB/s

Sequential Write : 15.230 MB/s

Random Read 512KB : 18.832 MB/s

Random Write 512KB : 3.894 MB/s

Random Read 4KB (QD=1) : 3.457 MB/s [ 843.9 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=1) : 0.039 MB/s [ 9.5 IOPS]

Random Read 4KB (QD=32) : 3.631 MB/s [ 886.5 IOPS]

Random Write 4KB (QD=32) : 0.049 MB/s [ 12.0 IOPS]

So yeah, for 32GB, the random write IOPS is much higher (around 300-400) so I would definitely recommend an upgrade. You can go here and check:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1582172

Yup, there was a void sticker and you need to take that off to get access to the card.

@Hawkman: I did my researches carefully before buying the card. Most of the high class cards are tuned to have very high sequential speeds and their random read/write speed suffers. Most people still have the wrong impression that higher speed classes are better even though it is not true. I would say the class works best for WP7 phones are class 2 and class 4. Mine was an Adata 32GB class 4 microsd and it works beautifully.

can you link to which card you actually bought? I have been sitting on the fence for buying something for my focus for a long time now. :/ Is adata really good? How much data did you sync to the phone?

I have focus.

can you link to which card you actually bought? I have been sitting on the fence for buying something for my focus for a long time now. :/ Is adata really good? How much data did you sync to the phone?

I have focus.

I bought this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211535&cm_re=adata_32GB_microsd-_-20-211-535-_-Product

I synced like 18GB of musics onto the phone, downloaded and installed like 50+ apps and it's still working fine.

From the general consensus, class 2 and class 4 are best for WP7, Sandisk class 2 is the best but some others are fine too. Nobody has tested mine before but I feel like adventurous and wants to buy something that's not OEM. Highly recommended though, my DVP is pretty responsive now and no crashes, no reboot, no data loss since the replacement of the card.

Hello,

I am using an 8GB Class 6 Transcend MicroSDHC card in my Samsung Focus. No problems noted.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Did you tried filling more than 8GB before concluding that it's stable ? Focus does have a built-in 8GB NAND and typically problems are not present until you fill the NAND and the phone starts utilizing the microsd...