Samsung Fascinate USB drivers..

Sorry if in wrong section, I have a Samsung Fascinate from Verizon... I've had it for several months now and have had no issues plugging it into my computer or laptop. Both running Windows 7 x64 SP1. Now however, I have an issue. When ever I plug in the USB cable I get the error..

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

So for some strange reason I did a fresh install of Windows XP SP3 on my main machine and being fresh I assumed it would work, so I installed the Intel drivers for my board, Asus Maximus Formula X38, and no go! It says drivers were successfully installed, but then it fails.. is there something wrong with my phone or USB ports? I have no idea what's going on.. Never had this issue before.

I have tried everything I know.. nothing will work. I've had this happen before since I bought this phone and I did fix it before, but have no clue how I did it..

Something interesting here.. I plugged the USB cable into a port and windows said it was an unknown device.. I just plugged the cable in.. no actual device.. bad cable issues??

Yeah sounds like a bad cable, you can get your hands on another cable pretty cheap so it's definitely worth trying but if its recognizing the cable with nothing attatched then there's definitely something up with it.

EDIT: Would the cable not need power for it to be picked up?

Either the port you tried it in is somehow "leaking" (can't think of a technical term) electricity or your usb cable has become self aware and the world as we know it is about to end o.O

All is well!! Picked up a retractable USB cable and it works beautifully now!!!