E3 2011: Nintendo Press Conference

New hardware to play games that the PS3 and 360 can already play? If I was still a Wii owner, I'd probably just wait until Nintendo releases their new console at the start of the next generation.

The WiiU is it right there, I don't see Nintendo releasing a new console after that one for a while

Wii controllers are still supported so there's nothing stopping a developer from using the Classic controller ;)

Right, which only kind of emphasizes the point I was trying to make, which is if I am going to want to use a Classic controller over this new controller, why do I need or want that new controller for games that I am already capable of playing on not just one, but for me two, systems that I already own? Just saying...

I'm definitely intrigued by the new hardware, but by no means am I sold on it. I'd still like to see how they implement the controller and its screen in the "hardcore" games without making it too gimmicky.

The WiiU is it right there, I don't see Nintendo releasing a new console after that one for a while

I'm hoping this is a "step" to their new console. I don't see the next generation launching next year, so I think they might try to cobble something together to go against Sony/MS's new consoles. They are going to be so far behind if they don't.

All the maybes, we think, and possibly's got you scratching your held as well? Definitely should have waited a year on this one.

It was just terribly put together, they didn't really show anything worth while off really themselves to appeal to the core gamer audience, they concentrated on the controller which doesn't look that great to me.

And there was seemingly no mention of any online part to the console by Nintendo themselves, it could be as lame as the Wiis for all we know.

I'm definitely intrigued by the new hardware, but by no means am I sold on it. I'd still like to see how they implement the controller and its screen in the "hardcore" games without making it too gimmicky.

The price of the controller will make or break it I think :/ If it's more than $99 it won't work

I'm hoping this is a "step" to their new console. I don't see the next generation launching next year, so I think they might try to cobble something together to go against Sony/MS's new consoles. They are going to be so far behind if they don't.

Nintendo isn't exactly known for trying to compete in the "power" department anymore. They pushed it hard with the Nintendo 64 and it didn't work

Wii U, looks interesting and they seem to have EA on board but have not seen much actual gameplay videos or any specs or news of the console it self. Like others have said they are just finally catching up to the 360 and PS3 offerings and will be left in the dust when the PS4 and Xbox Next launch. GT.TV just said that the game footage they showed from 3rd party was all from the PS3 and 360. The bird demo looked good but the PS3 and 360 have had games looking like that if not better from the get go...

The price of the controller will make or break it I think :/ If it's more than $99 it won't work

ill bet it is gonna cost more than $99. maybe $149.

So, I got back from working out in time for the last 5-10 minutes of the Nintendo presser, and all I could think was, "What the hell is this? Is this the controller, or more than that?" I felt like I was missing something. Then as soon as it was over, Adam Sessler basically says, 'yeah, we have no clue what the hell that was.' :laugh:

This is their new console, they just didn't show off the base that the controller would be connecting too.

screenshot_255985_thumb_wide940.jpg

That was the worst presentation of a new console that I've ever seen.

I have to agree..... what a disappointment :/

The gfx didn't look any better than the PS3/360 and in some cases they looked worst...... they didn't even show the actual console all they did is show the controller :blink:

Nintendo isn't exactly known for trying to compete in the "power" department anymore. They pushed it hard with the Nintendo 64 and it didn't work

The fact that a glorified controller will cost $99 or more is laughable.

It seems they still care a little bit about power if they are releasing a new upgraded console because otherwise they would have just made the new controller.

Edit: Corris, I realize that is their new console for now but I'm hoping they will release something in the next 2-3 years that will compete with Sony/MS's new offerings.

ill bet it is gonna cost more than $99. maybe $149.

That would make it a bit harder to sell as most people want 2 controllers so it would be a console (which should come with one controller) + an extra controller.... that will be quite a bit of money

Graphics look worse than Xbox360/PS3. They concentrated their entire presentation on the controller and nothing on the console itself. They never even showed the console alongside the controller, just the controller. And no way in hell any gamer will play an FPS with a controller that big.

It's more like "there's no way in hell any gamer with any sense would play an fps with the controller of any console".

It's more like "there's no way in hell any gamer with any sense would play an fps with the controller of any console".

Go back to the PC section then, because there are plenty of us that do.

I can't seem to figure out why Kotaku is so smitten with this at the moment. They should be raving about the Vita instead where there is a lot less uncertainty.

That controller looks ridiculous :/

Doesn't seem like Nintendo are taking this seriously enough, online plans? The next PS/Xbox are going to leave this thing in the ground.

That was possibly the worst and most confusing announcement of a new console ever! The Nintendo guys only ever mentioned the controller, the only time console was mentioned was by the chap from EA!

but it is deff a new console

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the-wiiu-nintendos-next-console/

It might be because it's not 100% final yet, remember it's not coming out until 2012

It might be because it's not 100% final yet, remember it's not coming out until 2012

Yeah, that's why they've done it so people still buy the Wii for a good while longer...but cmon, either announce it and bring it out soonish (before the end of the year) or wait till next years E3 and do it all then.

Yeah, that's why they've done it so people still buy the Wii for a good while longer...but cmon, either announce it and bring it out soonish (before the end of the year) or wait till next years E3 and do it all then.

Well 2012 could be before April and that would be before the next E3 :/