E3 2011: PS Vita global launch, $249

I'm sure you're right and that's what it's all about.

At least, it makes sense in terms of Australia. But is Europe such a small market? Or is it all the regionalisation necessary there?

Europe is a huge market as well, at least equal (if not larger) then the NA market. So why they get ripped off so badly? I have no idea, I mean it's pretty obvious why we Aussies get shafted but the reasons our fellow Europeans get similar treatment is beyond my understanding :unsure: :/

Europe is a huge market as well, at least equal (if not larger) then the NA market. So why they get ripped off so badly? I have no idea, I mean it's pretty obvious why we Aussies get shafted but the reasons our fellow Europeans get similar treatment is beyond my understanding :unsure: :/

From what I understand it's because of things like VAT and because the Euro has been stronger than the American dollar.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. It'll take more than an equal price(for the moment) for nintendo to lose the section of the gaming market they've held for over 20 years.

The fact that they even have a competing price is amazing if you look at history. While I don't think they'll win, they stand their best chance yet. Especially given that their device has better specs, more non-gaming uses, and PMP/smartphone games are on the rise. However, two things it can't compete with are iDevices and the Nintendo library, and I imagine that'll be its downfall.

Or is it all the regionalisation necessary there?

That's exactly what it is.

People who start comparing prices at the exchange rate are pretty foolish. There are so many other factors involved that it's naive to think they could simply convert the currency.

And some try to be clever by adding on VAT and moaning that it's still different. Again, VAT alone is not the only issue!

Regionalisation is a major cost - we have so many languages in Europe so the cost of providing anything here is much higher.

The US pay sales taxes on top of the listed price...so everyone's conveniently ignoring that.

There genuinely are transport costs, and the UK's an island not connected to Europe so that's an even bigger cost.

Everyone in the distribution channel in Europe gets paid a higher wage than elsewhere...the final price has to cover that.

That's exactly what it is.

People who start comparing prices at the exchange rate are pretty foolish. There are so many other factors involved that it's naive to think they could simply convert the currency.

And some try to be clever by adding on VAT and moaning that it's still different. Again, VAT alone is not the only issue!

Regionalisation is a major cost - we have so many languages in Europe so the cost of providing anything here is much higher.

The US pay sales taxes on top of the listed price...so everyone's conveniently ignoring that.

There genuinely are transport costs, and the UK's an island not connected to Europe so that's an even bigger cost.

Everyone in the distribution channel in Europe gets paid a higher wage than elsewhere...the final price has to cover that.

+1

I hate how this topic comes up EVERYONE someone announces something. People need to research the topic before opening their mouths and whining that Company X isn't doing a straight currency conversion.

Whack it through the Eurostar... problem solved. :laugh:

Disappointments:

- Proprietary memory sticks

- No video out (for trips)

Hoping for:

- Decent app for music, reading PDF, etc. whether in-house or third party.

- Decent built-in browser.

- Console-like games being around $40 (yeah... reading that Sony is taking a hit on each Vita sold makes me think this won't be happening for a while, if ever).

Still have this on preorder but will have to really think about it as news trickles through for the system.

The system looks amazing and innovative, and is definitely a steal for $250. Let's just hope it's as feature packed internally.