E3 2011: SONY: Dust 514 is free on PS3

Innovative EVE Online shooter goes PS3+digital only, is free to download; Supported by microtransactions; Move support confirmed

Developer CCP has placed a rather big feather in the PS3's hat by confirming that shooter Dust 514 will be exclusive to Sony's console.

Dust 514 will link players to the real-time goings on of popular PC space MMO EVE Online. The consequences of the battles in the console game will have a direct effect on the PC universe.

In a surprise move, the game has not only shunned retail and become download-only ? it will also be free to download. Players will then have the chance to spend money in-game on a range of weaponry, battle gear and vehicles.

Gamers will be able to obtain these items both with in-game currency and their PlayStation wallet. It will also be fully compatible with the PlayStation Move and Sharp Shooter peripheral.

?The ability for Sony Computer Entertainment to partner with a developer like CCP, known for pushing the boundaries of creativity and innovation in the MMO genre, holds tremendous potential for the PS3 community,? SCEA's senior VP Rob Dyer stated.

?We anticipate that Dust 514 will transform the landscape across PlayStation 3 and the PC, ushering in a new era of shared cross platform gaming.?

CCP CEO Hilmar Veigar P?tursson added: ?When we set out to build a true persistent shooter for consoles, it was evident that Sony's dedication to providing a flexible and MMO-friendly platform -alongside a robust virtual goods business model- made the PS3 the natural home for Dust 514.

"CCP's ambition is to bring a level of truly meaningful, persistent gameplay to the PlayStation 3 never before seen."

Source: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/44712/SONY-Dust-514-is-PS3-only

I knew it was free to play, but now also free to download? So it's just free? :cool: :laugh:

Well to be honest it was announced as a free game last year when they first announced it, the only real news here is that it is exclusive. And this, a free game with micro transactions... the worst possible game to go exclusive on, the only thing they're doing is losing money, so I hope Sony paid CCCP big bucks for this. Cause Dust 514 isn't going to make console players buy a PS3, so they're not going to be making any money on increased sales. So I'm not sure what CCCP though when they did this. Whatever money Sony Paid them is a one off, the revenue from micro transactions is for the life of the game. Then you add in that all the gamers from Eve that they're trying to rope in, are PC gamers it just adds up to a confusing picture.

The only reason I can come up with is that MS wouldn't let them do free, but I kind of doubt that since they would be getting a good share of the micro transactions anyway.

Well to be honest it was announced as a free game last year when they first announced it, the only real news here is that it is exclusive. And this, a free game with micro transactions... the worst possible game to go exclusive on, the only thing they're doing is losing money, so I hope Sony paid CCCP big bucks for this. Cause Dust 514 isn't going to make console players buy a PS3, so they're not going to be making any money on increased sales. So I'm not sure what CCCP though when they did this. Whatever money Sony Paid them is a one off, the revenue from micro transactions is for the life of the game. Then you add in that all the gamers from Eve that they're trying to rope in, are PC gamers it just adds up to a confusing picture.

The only reason I can come up with is that MS wouldn't let them do free, but I kind of doubt that since they would be getting a good share of the micro transactions anyway.

That's a Michael Pachter like insight right there.

You know it's completely possible a title like this as PART OF a collection of games interests someone in a PS3. Especially EVE players.

On another note, there is PSV support

You mentioned PSV support, can you give us any more details? Would this also only be for DUST or could we be looking at also interacting with EVE-Online through the PSV?

At present, those plans are DUST 514-only, but it?s still a bit too soon for us to reveal anything concrete with what will be possible.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/06/introducing-dust-514-a-persistent-shooter-from-ccp/comment-page-1/#comment-598182

Also about micro transactions

?DUST 514 will support purchases made through both in-game earned currency and real money currency.?

This sounds like the whole ?Can-only-get-the-GOOD-stuff-if-you-actually-pay-for-it? deal.

Nope. It won?t work like that, we?re going to have a balanced system. There will be a secondary market with player-to-player trading. A player can buy virtual goods with real world currency, put it on the market, which can be bought by a player with in-game earned currency. This is explained in greater detail in CCP Praetorian?s dev blog here: http://www.dust514.com/en/news/article/1980/beginnings