E3 2011: Eyes-on with the Sony PlayStation 3D Display

icVa6A.jpg

Building upon PlayStation?s commitment to technology and innovation, the official 3D Display from Sony

Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) delivers an incredible high-definition stereoscopic 3D experience to

gamers. Featuring a luminous 24? LCD screen with full HD 1080p 3D presentation, the 3D Display is

uniquely enhanced for gaming with a special feature for two-player mode, offering best-in-class visuals in

both 2D and 3D.

The exclusive feature optimizes two-player mode by delivering individual full HD screens, giving each

person their own full screen view of the action while playing co-op or head-to-head on the same display.*

The ultra-slim LCD screen delivers all of one?s HD media by connecting to a PC or cable TV box, while

built-in speakers and subwoofer fill out the audio experience.

Each 3D Display will include one pair of 3D Glasses for optimized gaming with a light-weight design and

built-in rechargeable battery, as well as an HDMI cable and a copy of Resistance?3 on Blu-ray disc.

3D Display

? 24?inch screen with full HD 1080p 3D

? Active 3D enabled with integrated 3D sync transmitter

? Special feature delivers individual full HD screen visuals** to each player in two-player mode

? Easy connectivity to the PlayStation3 system, Cable TV box, and PC through the 3 inputs

? Brilliant contrast and slim PlayStation inspired bezel design with Edge LED backlighting for

stunning and aesthetic visuals

? Built-in speakers and subwoofer for enhanced audio

? Quad speed frame sequential adopted for ultra smooth 3D gaming

* 3D Glasses and supported software are required to enjoy this feature

** Playback in full (2D) HD, not 3D

3D Glasses

? Best-in-class 3D quality

? Fully immersive vision

? Stylish design allows you to focus on the game with maximum comfort

? Minimizes 3D crosstalk and reduces ?ghosting? effect

? Built-in rechargeable batteries let you play up to 30 hours without interruption

PRICING AND AVAILABILTY:

Available in North America this fall for $499.99 (MSRP). Package includes the Display, one pair of 3D

Glasses, HDMI cable, and a copy of Resistance 3.

The 3D Glasses will also be available as a stand-alone accessory in North America this fall for $69.99

MSRP. Package includes one pair of 3D Glasses and a USB Cable.

Price is, of course, one of the biggest hangups consumers have with 3D HDTVs -- if, of course, they like 3D technology at all -- so naturally, a $499.99 3D-enabled display is intriguing. Though the display isn't particularly large, the picture quality was better than I was expecting.

It boasts a 5000:1 contrast ratio, 240Hz refresh rate, and a 176 degree viewing angle, delivered via an edge lit LED display, making gameplay vibrant but not over-saturated.

But of course, the PlayStation 3D Display's major marketing point is it's Two Player Mode, which allows two players to see two separate fullscreen images using stereoscopic active shutter glasses. Instead of having to view a splitscreen image, the PlayStation 3D Display overlays the images on top of each other, but each pair of glasses is synched to only one layer.

The Two Player Mode was effective, though occasionally there would be small, subtle signs of ghosting from the second player's view, but since I was unable to ascertain at what stage of development the prototype I was viewing was, it's hard to say whether or not it will be a persistent issue

Source: http://gear.ign.com/articles/117/1173439p1.html

Remember it's a monitor, not a TV, does not have a TV Tuner. I noticed someone commented on the current state of 3D and PS3 with monitors,

The specs state that it is a VA panel, not a "garbage TN panel".

If this thing is actually competitive as a PC monitor, then there is nothing else currently available in its class. There are almost no 3D LCD monitors that support 3D for PS3. The ones from Acer have bad reviews, and the upcoming monitors from Samsung are TN panels and more expensive than the Sony.

This seems a bit niche for me. I imagine most people's PS3 are hooked up to their main TV since the PS3 is both a console and media center. However, this TV is way too small to be a primary TV unless you live in a dorm or at home with your parents so your PS3 is hooked up to a TV in your bedroom.

This TV seems like a pretty good deal on paper, but I probably wouldn't get it because if I wanted to use it, I'd have to disconnect my PS3 from my living room TV and plug it into my bedroom/office TV.

Playing competitive COD 24" is the perfect size, and I'm guessing this is going to be released on the same day as resistance 3, hmmm decisions!

This seems a bit niche for me. I imagine most people's PS3 are hooked up to their main TV since the PS3 is both a console and media center. However, this TV is way too small to be a primary TV unless you live in a dorm or at home with your parents so your PS3 is hooked up to a TV in your bedroom.

This TV seems like a pretty good deal on paper, but I probably wouldn't get it because if I wanted to use it, I'd have to disconnect my PS3 from my living room TV and plug it into my bedroom/office TV.

As you say, it's far too small to be a main screen. Seems more a 'spoilt brat' item to me for that kid that has to have everything in their bedroom.

Don't forget it's more a monitor than TV as doesn't have it's own tuner, not an issue if you have cable or PlayTV etc.

Just seems like it's aiming at a market that isn't quite there. Good in a bedroom as a standard PC monitor replacement if you also have a second PS3 in there.

As you say, it's far too small to be a main screen. Seems more a 'spoilt brat' item to me for that kid that has to have everything in their bedroom.

Don't forget it's more a monitor than TV as doesn't have it's own tuner, not an issue if you have cable or PlayTV etc.

Just seems like it's aiming at a market that isn't quite there. Good in a bedroom as a standard PC monitor replacement if you also have a second PS3 in there.

Spoiled brat or a spoiled old man who likes his toys. :laugh:

I would replace my current 2nd monitor on my PC with this more then likely if I got this, as I also have a Nvidia card and could potentially use the 3D vision with this then (assuming I need a different pair of glasses). So a definite possibility.

Spoiled brat or a spoiled old man who likes his toys. :laugh:

I would replace my current 2nd monitor on my PC with this more then likely if I got this, as I also have a Nvidia card and could potentially use the 3D vision with this then (assuming I need a different pair of glasses). So a definite possibility.

I never ruled out getting one myself either :laugh: