Windows XP users will be lost in the iCloud

Windows XP users will be lost in the iCloud

It's a subtle change but an important one: Apple's published Windows system requirements for iCloud are a bit different than they are for MobileMe and the current version of iTunes. Per the company's press release:

Using iCloud with a PC
requires Windows Vista or Windows 7
; Outlook 2010 or 2007 is recommended for accessing contacts and calendars.

Emphasis mine. What's missing? Only the world's most popular operating system (still!), Windows XP. While iTunes 10.3 and MobileMe both include XP SP 2 in the support list, it looks like the next stop on the road to the cloud is a no-go for the older OS.

Considering that Apple's backwards-compatibility on iTunes 10.3 only goes back four years for its own operating system, it's kind of surprising that the ten-year-old XP has stayed on the short list for as long as it has. This shift, however, may mean that some PC users will search for alternatives to Apple's tools for iOS support (assuming that iTunes itself will move up to match the iCloud specification).

Are you running Windows XP on any machines you currently use with iTunes or MobileMe? If so, is the prospect of iCloud requiring Vista or Win7 keeping you up at night?

Source: TUAW

In October Windows XP will be ten years old!

Who can imagine still using Windows 95 in 2005 (ten years after it was released)?

I support the dropping of support for it, people need to upgrade, Windows 7 is everything XP was, but better.

Except, it's not really the most popular OS anymore. well it is according to ONE of what 9 or 10 different statistics, and that one Statistics is like 10% higher than the highest of the others. Seems awfully artifical.

and those who still use XP are for the most part not the peopel who would be using the iCloud anyway.

I'm still using XP until I get a new PC (I need to, just cbf reinstalling everything just now), and I doubt anyone who still uses XP actually cares about Crapple or "iCloud"

Who can imagine still using Windows 95 in 2005 (ten years after it was released)?

I support the dropping of support for it, people need to upgrade, Windows 7 is everything XP was, but better.

^couldn't agree any more...thank GOD legacy stuff is losing ground....it's about time, although, I still run a single core siystem, it does what I need it to, miinus XP...7 all the way, and here's to the future!!! (I plan on upgrading really soon)

Users still using XP and expecting to also be able to use the most up to date software on it are having a laugh. Upgrade your OS to take advantage of the best software.

Except, it's not really the most popular OS anymore. well it is according to ONE of what 9 or 10 different statistics, and that one Statistics is like 10% higher than the highest of the others. Seems awfully artifical.

and those who still use XP are for the most part not the peopel who would be using the iCloud anyway.

I use XP, I use iPhone 4 and would use iCloud.

And XP is still 70-80% in enterprise , which will have a huge problem next year in supporting XP/7/8 .

Users still using XP and expecting to also be able to use the most up to date software on it are having a laugh. Upgrade your OS to take advantage of the best software.

+1 XP is old and you cant keep it thinking all new software will just work on it..

I use XP, I use iPhone 4 and would use iCloud.

And XP is still 70-80% in enterprise , which will have a huge problem next year in supporting XP/7/8 .

oh yes, of course, since "you" would, that means all other XP users are like you.

and Enterprise was in fact my point, those users would not be using the cloud anyway, they wouldn't be allowed to, it would be blocked no matter what OS they use. Besides I think you're stats on that is getting a bit outdated and exaggarated anyway. Enteprises are shifting away. even a conservative enterprise woudl replace computer every 4-5 years meaning they woudl be on vista or 7 by now. and a lot are even upgrading their existing computers now.

But do I do so enjoy yoru ability to pull stats out of your rear end with no substance.

Who care about iClown, Apple always make terrible softwares for Windows and I wouldn't even install their craps even when they offer me money to do so.

XP users can always use Dropbox, the only thing is that it's not as "cool" as iClown...

Lol at anyone on XP complaining about all the latest and greatest not working.

Be grateful, Apple didnt even offer the Malware removal update to Leopard.

I agree. I see little reason to keep using XP outside of specific programs that haven't yet been updated for anything newer, or for corporate desktops.

Who care about iClown, Apple always make terrible softwares for Windows and I wouldn't even install their craps even when they offer me money to do so.

XP users can always use Dropbox, the only thing is that it's not as "cool" as iClown...

I don't think you quite understand what iCloud is if you think Dropbox is an adequate substitute....

I agree. I see little reason to keep using XP outside of specific programs that haven't yet been updated for anything newer, or for corporate desktops.

I don't see any reason to switch to the bloated hardware hungry Windows 7, or, the new Tic-Tac-Toe Windows 8. Every application and hardware I need just runs fine

on my XP.