Mac OS X Lion Can Run in Chrome OS-Like Browser Only Mode

They're saving so much in maintenance, customer support and installation costs that you don't really need to worry about how they spend your money.

That's a great big pile of BS and you know it.

• Like 3

That's a great big pile of BS and you know it.

Nope. Think whatever you want. You?re an anti-Mac guy without a doubt, I know there?s absolutely no way to convince you that it is better than you think.

But my personal proof is, I haven?t done ANY maintenance on my iMac since day 1 and it?s always up and running 99.9% of the time. Can?t say that with any of my previous PCs though.

Nope. Think whatever you want. You?re an anti-Mac guy without a doubt, I know there?s absolutely no way to convince you that it is better than you think.

But my personal proof is, I haven?t done ANY maintenance on my iMac since day 1 and it?s always up and running 99.9% of the time. Can?t say that with any of my previous PCs though.

Why only 99.9%? Were you doing maintenance during that 0.1% that you're not telling us about? :p

Anyway, for a library or school, Windows is cheaper and better. Lock it down with Group Policy and you have your Internet Explorer Only mode, or whatever software you like.

Nice to see Apple continuing to "borrow" features from Google. So original.

Huh? This has a lot more in common with the lightweight linux startup environments that some computers have shipped with for a while now, although with a different intended purpose. The original comparison to Chrome OS is a bit silly.

google has never copied from apple ever :rolleyes:

Everyone copies from everyone else.

Apple copied from Xerox, Xerox copied from Apple, Microsoft copied Apple, Apple copied Microsoft, etc. In the end it's the consumers who win because they get better products.

Everyone copies from everyone else.

Apple copied from Xerox, Xerox copied from Apple, Microsoft copied Apple, Apple copied Microsoft, etc. In the end it's the consumers who win because they get better products.

i know, it's called progressing tech forward when improving on what you copied.

Nice to see Apple continuing to "borrow" features from Google. So original.

Way to be smarter than the average ****ing idiot on Engadget. This is nothing like Chrome. Read the facts before you bash Apple for fun. ;)

Way to be smarter than the average ****ing idiot on Engadget. This is nothing like Chrome. Read the facts before you bash Apple for fun. ;)

now you are just being mean to the people on engadget...

now you are just being mean to the people on engadget...

I'm sorry. I just hate it when people spout their mouths off when they don't even know whats what. There are so many trolls in that article by Engadget saying the same things without reading the facts and I am just tired of it. This is why we can't have good things. :(

Lol

Truth is... Updates that require a reboot.

That's sound pretty much like the same uptime I have with my windows boxes then. Maybe you just had bad hardware. usually the problem when people complain about lots of downtime and service time on their computers is, bad ram, bad graphics card or bad PUS or other components than can cause random failures.

Well, good thing then that bad hardware rarely ever happens with Apple. No wrong drivers and all, you know? So yeah, less maintenance. But whatever...

What does that old MS vs. Apple-fight has to do with that new, OPTIONAL feature that is part of Find My Mac anyways?

That's sound pretty much like the same uptime I have with my windows boxes then. Maybe you just had bad hardware. usually the problem when people complain about lots of downtime and service time on their computers is, bad ram, bad graphics card or bad PUS or other components than can cause random failures.

I always chose my hardware very carefully when I built my computers and never had faulty hardware past year 2000, in the sense that I never had a blue screen of death saying my hardware was bad, and I had about 3 rigs between 2000 and 2006. By downtime, I was talking about scanning for viruses, doing defrags, doing cleanups, cleaning the registry, scanning for malware, and all those application crashes that shut down my work without even saving it. I?ve lost too much data on Windows computers, and never lost anything on OS X. Even if your computer isn?t actually "down", you can?t call that uptime per se.

To each their choice.

I always chose my hardware very carefully when I built my computers and never had faulty hardware past year 2000, in the sense that I never had a blue screen of death saying my hardware was bad, and I had about 3 rigs between 2000 and 2006. By downtime, I was talking about scanning for viruses, doing defrags, doing cleanups, cleaning the registry, scanning for malware, and all those application crashes that shut down my work without even saving it. I?ve lost too much data on Windows computers, and never lost anything on OS X. Even if your computer isn?t actually "down", you can?t call that uptime per se.

To each their choice.

So all the same stuff you don't need to do in windows any more than you do on a Mac, as for application crashes, how is that windows fault that you are using bad/unstable apps. they exist on Mac to, just do on windows what you do on Mac, stick to safe well known apps without a beta tag.

You're talking about problems I never have, and doing things you don't need to do and SHOULD NOT do. heck doing all those reg cleaners may very well be the reason for your unstable apps in the first place.

As for faulty hardware, no amount of stickign to known brands can guarantee that you won't get a bad ram stick or bad GPU or a bad PSU. and non of those need to trigger a BSOD. it can be a small fault that only causes minor instability in certain situations.

What does this have to do with anything?

May it be part of Find My Mac or not, it doesn't change the fact that it shouldn't require a reboot. The option on the login screen could be an additional account icon that when you click on it, it doesn't prompt you with a password and it only opens a clean install of Safari and nothing else.

Read what I said after that. Also there's no fact here, just your personal opinion regarding the matter.

Read what I said after that. Also there's no fact here, just your personal opinion regarding the matter.

I read what you said for the second time and you?re not justifying why a reboot is necessary.

You?re basically only describing that the feature can help you find your Mac back from a thief.

I don?t know why you?re even arguing here. Just admit that they could easily let you log in Safari without a booting your computer twice.

I read what you said for the second time and you?re not justifying why a reboot is necessary.

You?re basically only describing that the feature can help you find your Mac back from a thief.

I don?t know why you?re even arguing here. Just admit that they could easily let you log in Safari without a booting your computer twice.

The feature obviously isn't meant to be used on a daily basis and is currently just there for the sake of the Find My Mac feature: The system boots into a stripped down and safe environment, probably part of the restore partition, which won't allow access to personal files etc. and potentially gives a Mac a chance to phone home. Your typical Mac OS X installation will always fire up the Dock and some form of Finder which could be a potential security risk. Apple basically designed a sandbox allowing for just one thing and that is to use Safari.