[win7] How to get a program running automatically at login screen?

I want to get a couple of programs to load before or during the Windows 7 login screen (where you type a password).

One being an XBOX 360 Controller driver called JoyTokey and the other being the Windows OSK (on screen keyboard).

Is there a way to do this?

needed to know that myself but still hasn't got able to do it...

but you can make windows auto log in on startup and then lock after you logged in which would do the same ;)

I want to get a couple of programs to load before or during the Windows 7 login screen (where you type a password).

One way is group policy; computer configuration lets you set startup and shutdown scripts, and user config lets you set it for logon (which executes after you log on) and logoff.

Could always just make a service out of the thing and have it autostart too. Whatever works.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

He's looking to run something before a user logs in. HKCU/Run and HKLM/Run execute afterwards, HKLM's difference being that it applies to everybody, not just one account.

you can btw edit some registery part which adds a keyboard button to the login screen* ;)

*it's shown by default on touchscreen devices

I think you can do this with Task Manager Task Scheduler (sorry :p). Under the triggers section, there is stuff like "run at startup" and "run at logon". It can also run an app with administrative privileges without invoking the UAC prompt.

you can btw edit some registery part which adds a keyboard button to the login screen* ;)

*it's shown by default on touchscreen devices

This happens system-wide when Windows detects a touch input device (be it a touchscreen, touchpad or a graphic tablet), if Tablet PC Components are enabled. Either way, IIRC you can access the on-screen keyboard by clicking the ease of access button somewhere in the corner.

I had no luck with the group policy method or scheduled task method - just doesn't seem to run the programs at all for some reason. The automatically log in and lock the computer method suggested is not attractive to me either.

EDIT: just did a little test and JoyToKey doesn't work when the computer is locked, so I guess it won't work during log on either.

I had no luck with the group policy method or scheduled task method - just doesn't seem to run the programs at all for some reason.

Permissions issue perhaps? Depending on your setup of course. Anything in your event log? Also keep in mind (if I remember right) that these scripts run under Local System, so it might not interact with your local session. The programs I typically do this with run on their own with zero interaction (server daemon sorts of things, various run-and-done things, etc), never tried it with something interactive.

In scheduled task I ticked the box "Run with highest privelage" and still no luck. I guess Windows stopped you from running programs at login screen for security reasons.. keyloggers etc..

I use Auto Logon & Lock it is a freeware program, and as long as you have items loading at windows start-up/logon then they will load, but the system will still be secure.

I guess Windows stopped you from running programs at login screen for security reasons.. keyloggers etc..

I can guarantee you it does let you launch software, if configured properly. I have multiple machines Win7 based (Some desktop, some 2008R2) that run startup tasks before you even log in via group policy.. some resident, some are simple once-and-done, but all execute and do their thing. None of them interact with the desktop in any way though, not even a console window.. not something I've ever needed so never tried something interactive, so this might be the wrong way to go. Not sure if a "run as a service" scenario under a user's credentials would get around it, again never had the need to bother looking it up.

• 1 month later...

Um, can't you just copy a shortcut of the program(s) into the Startup folder?? (Start > All Programs > Startup)

shortcuts in there are run after the user logs in, i need this one to run before login. sorry if my original post didn't make that clear enough

Um, can't you just copy a shortcut of the program(s) into the Startup folder?? (Start > All Programs > Startup)

Sure, but it won't actually run until you log in. The OP wants it to run at startup - before logging in.

How do I install a program as a service?

start > run > type: cmd

then type: sc create <path to app>

type: sc (with no parameters) to see other information about creating services.

cant remember if services run before logon, i imagine they do, because teamviewer does, on my machine at least.

Also group policy has a startup script (vs a logon script). I believe the startup script runs at the ctrl alt del where logon runs after the user logs on.

I use Auto Logon & Lock it is a freeware program, and as long as you have items loading at windows start-up/logon then they will load, but the system will still be secure.

That application does not run at the logon screen. It runs after a user has been logged on.

As the user above me suggested, use Group Policy Editor to define startup scripts.

OK, the startup script doesn't run. NOTE: I am not on a domain, I am using the welcome screen with just one user and a password box underneath. The program I am trying to run is called xpadder (no longer using the JoyToKey app as stated earlier in this thread). XPadder allows me to control Windows mouse with XBOX 360 gamepad. At the moment I have to go over to my keyboard and mouse to login (when gaming I am not usually at the computer I am some distance away). If there was a way of getting Xpadder to function at login screen I could easily login by navigating to ease of access and typing password in with on screen keyboard.

you are applying it in the local group policy, correct? or are you putting it in the startup folder? These two are not one and the same.

start, run/search (depending on version of windows)

gpedit.msc

computer config\windows settings\scripts\startup

insert batchfile to run what you want (you will need to make a batchfile)

Scripts (Startup/Shutdown): Use this extension to specify the scripts that run when you start and shut down the computer. To configure the computer startup and shutdown scripts, start the Group Policy snap-in, expand Computer Configuration, expand Windows Settings, click Scripts (Startup/Shutdown), and then in the right pane, double-click the script that you want to configure. These scripts run on the Local System account.

You will need to reboot to take effect.

Yes that is exactly what I did. I created a VBS script to run the program:

Sub Run(ByVal sFile,sPar)

Dim shell

Set shell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
	shell.Run Chr(34) &amp; sFile &amp; Chr(34) &amp; " " &amp; sPar, 1, false
	Set shell = Nothing

End Sub

Run "C:\Program Files (x86)\XPadder\Xpadder.exe","/m"

When I execute this script from within Windows it runs ok. But when I have it configured as a startup script in gpedit it is doing nothing.

check your event logs.

someone also mentioned making it a service via the sc command

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/251192

there are utilities for that as well (none 100% free to my knowledge)

http://www.exetoservice.com/

You can also follow these instructions and make a similar service entry yourself like the hamachi example here

http://www.itsatechworld.com/2006/01/17/hamachi-vpn-solution/