Mozilla Firefox 5.0

Right now 64bit really isn't any faster than the 32 bit builds. I don't see the point in trying to get all of your plugins updated to 64 bit versions to get a 64 bit browser right now.

let's see... java 64bit is available, there's a flash 10.2 build available (maybe newer), and I think silverlight is ready as well?

I don't use add-ons (slows things down), I like mine clean (of course, essentials such as Java/Flash/Ad-Block)...but I just want 64-bit because they said they were going to do it, and I just want it :D

Can I install this over my 4.0.1 install? Or will this work like a beta etc?

When you double-click the exe, you'll see some "Next" buttons and the final one is "Upgrade", it overwrites 4.0.1 and keeps all your bookmarks and open tabs :D

Can I install this over my 4.0.1 install? Or will this work like a beta etc?

Install firefox to a new directory like:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox5\firefox.exe

Run the following command from start>run>:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox5\firefox.exe" -p -no-remote

that'll bring up the profile manager

create a new profile for FF5

now, do not click to use the new profile yet. we'll need to leave the profile's folder blank.

navigate to your firefox profile directory:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\93fdjdfu.default (or whatever your profile's name is)

copy all files in that directory to the blank new profile dir

now run the command:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox5\firefox.exe" -p -no-remote

now click the new profile and it will copy all settings, and stuff like that and you can now run any amount of versions of FF even at the same time!

I have 3.6,4.0.1, and 5 and I can even run them all at the same time. this is good for devs and people who want to retain thier older versions.

Not until the add-on developers specifically mark their add-ons as compatible with whatever version of Fx you're using. Unless that happens, you won't be notified of any updates.

That's a far cry from "and never get extension updates again"

That's a far cry from "and never get extension updates again"

Not really that far. Firefox will just keep updating itself to newer and newer versions, and unless the developer takes the trouble to support preview channels the extensions aren't going to be bumped to update for you.

Is it just my imagination, or does this latest release have improved scrolling? It still stutters here and there like it always has, but it feels smoother. I have smooth scrolling on and I'm using the great extension, Yet Another Smooth Scrolling, with the blue color choice. I remember someone in a thread saying that they have improved upon it for version 6, so I'm guessing it's possible they changed or fixed something for version 5 as well. If they could just get rid of the stutter AND FINALLY FIX the RESPONSIVENESS of the browser after it's been idle for awhile, they would have the best browser in my opinion. I want Firefox to scroll perfectly and react quickly with a lot of tabs open after sitting for awhile, just as Chrome does. Is that too much to ask?

I'll wait for the auto-updater to do its thing. Still it's good to see that they've sped up development.

Is it just my imagination, or does this latest release have improved scrolling? It still stutters here and there like it always has, but it feels smoother. I have smooth scrolling on and I'm using the great extension, Yet Another Smooth Scrolling, with the blue color choice. I remember someone in a thread saying that they have improved upon it for version 6, so I'm guessing it's possible they changed or fixed something for version 5 as well. If they could just get rid of the stutter AND FINALLY FIX the RESPONSIVENESS of the browser after it's been idle for awhile, they would have the best browser in my opinion. I want Firefox to scroll perfectly and react quickly with a lot of tabs open after sitting for awhile, just as Chrome does. Is that too much to ask?

Yes! YaSS is an awesome addon! I've had improved scrollling as well in FF5.0!

Glad to know it's not just me then. Is the scrolling and responsiveness of the browser after being minimized and sitting idle for awhile fixed in version 6 or 7? I've heard that it was, but I'd like more confirmation from people. I've noticed that Firefox completely locks up and says not responding after awhile of sitting idle. I'm guessing because the ram usage skyrockets. It's very noticeable when you click on a link, and it won't load til you wait a few minutes for Firefox to respond. This is obviously very crucial and unacceptable in a browser. I have 2gb of ram, so you would think that would be enough. Chrome doesn't seem to have this problem, and it's making me seriously think about switching. I love Firefox's ability to customize everything, though. It's way better than Chrome in that regard.

My idle don't act like that.... what other addons do you have installed? do you have any tweaks for memory? any tweaks for "trim on minimize"? Those can have ill effects.

Ok my current FF5 memstats:

post-361542-0-34703500-1308483465.jpg

over 400 browser actions

duration: 18 hours approx

I have been going crazy with usage and have had 50 tabs open at once, currently 32 tabs open.

watched at least 40 HTML5 vids on youtube and 20 flash ones (note:not all vids are avalible in html5)

I have the following add-ons installed:

ABP

Yet Another Smooth Scrolling

showip

stylish

screen capture elite

greasemonkey

FF4UI fixer

Status-4-evar

I'm not sure about the tweak for trim on minimize, but I do remember changing that in the past with older Firefox versions. How do I find it? It's not coming up on any search under about:config. I don't have many add-ons. These are the ones I have...

Adblock Plus 1.3.9a.3602

Add Bookmark Here 2 4.0.20220520

Back to Close 1.10

ChromaTabs Plus 3.0.0b1

Java Console 6.0.26

NoSquint 2.1.2

SortPlaces 1.9.0

Space Next 0.20

Status-4-Evar 2011.04.06.18

Stay-Open Menu 1.5.10

Stylish 1.1.2

Tab Mix Plus 0.3.8.6pre.1104291

TabGroups Manager 2011.3.22.01

Text Link 4.0.2011021601

Yet Another Smooth Scrolling 3.0.17

add the entry as bool and make it false. see if that helps.

Ok... hope it helps.... if not you can find more tweaks to fix it.... a good trip to about:config helps many firefox problems.

Not really interested in FF anymore. I was once a very dedicated FF user but the higher their version numbers get the more disappointed I become. It's turned into a bloated, slow pile of junk. When they released FF for Android mobile that was the final straw for me. I switched to Chrome and haven't looked back. FF need to smarten up!

does chrome have any of the addons I've mentioned or equal or better versions? I hope so... if not no switchy for me.

still holdin steady at 740 some RAM and 720 some commit..... not baaad!!!! and over 200 more browser actions since....

Help!

After installing 5.0b7 this monstrosity appeared at the bottom of the window, stays the same when the window is maximized...

658db4fbf34096649ad5d0ccabaeadb7.png

Installed 5 final, and the issue remains :/

Would really rather not do a fresh install if I can help it.

Help!

After installing 5.0b7 this monstrosity appeared at the bottom of the window, stays the same when the window is maximized...

658db4fbf34096649ad5d0ccabaeadb7.png

Installed 5 final, and the issue remains :/

Would really rather not do a fresh install if I can help it.

Thats the "addon bar"! :pinch:

firefox button > options > Addon-bar (or ctrl+/)!!!

Thats the "addon bar"! :pinch:

firefox button > options > Addon-bar (or ctrl+/)!!!

I know what the add-on bar is :laugh: :rolleyes:

I'm talking about the huge chunk of "glass" which remains whether or not I have the add-on bar displayed.