[Rumour] Lion Clean Install Requires Snow Leopard Disk?

Is Lion X64 only? Does it still have legacy X86 code?

It can still run 32-bit apps, but Lion will only work on 64-bit processors.

Well Apple have 3 choices:

1. Provide a Lion Clean Install medium with the new macs in 2012
  2. Sell Lion on Disk for $129 for full and $29 for upgrade (or similar pricing)
  3. Continue selling Snow Leopard forever, and release thier new OSes as 100s of expansion packs

You choose which you think will happen

Or you could write InstallESD.dmg to a thumb drive/DVD, boot off it, and do a clean install.

To the horror of some here hell bent on stirring up hysteria - the world hasn't come to an end.

For the unwashed masses you need Snow Leopard, for people here who know what they're doing they can download and burn the dmg to a DVD (something the average person won't do).

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Snow_Leopard_Installation_Instructions.pdf

Dosen't mention anything about having to install Leopard first - i think no actually i know you are misinformed.

*shrug* That's what message boards are for, right? :whistle:

I never had to deal with it because I never wait an entire OS release cycle before upgrading to the new one.

Not sure about the box, but when you buy it on the Apple web site, the $29 version of Snow Leopard does say that it is considered an upgrade for Leopard users. The $129 box set (which includes iLife and iWork as well) has no such restriction.

I have the box lying in front of me, it says nothing about being an upgrade.

My Snow Leopard CD just says "Everything Mac" on the front ;)

Lion won't work on the first Core2Duo CPU's because of compatibility with x64 architecture. I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and DP4 is running fine. ( Almost 3 years! :o ... Time for an upgrade lol )

My Snow Leopard CD just says "Everything Mac" on the front ;)

Because you're talking about the grey disc that came with your Mac instead of a retail disc?

Lion won't work on the first Core2Duo CPU's because of compatibility with x64 architecture. I have a late 2008 Macbook Pro (2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) and DP4 is running fine. ( Almost 3 years! :o ... Time for an upgrade lol )

Sounds like the minimum requirement is EFI64 rather than necessarily a Core 2 processor.

Yes it will. All Core 2 Duos are supported. You're thinking about the 32-bit Core Duo.

Will lion work on the Intel Core i3 3.06ghz iMac?