Problems using a CD Writer with Media Player

Media Player has always worked fine at burning songs to CD, but after a load of problems and having removed and installed my drive I get an error of

"No device detected"

in the "copy to CD or Device" screen of WMP.

In tools>options>devices I double clicked on my CDRW drive and there si only 1 tab entitled "Audio". Isn't there meant to be another?

The drive works fine with Nero, and even the CD copying stuff built in with Windows works, except there is never any option when an .mp3 fiel is selected to "copy to CD" as before.

Anyone have any ideas how I can sort this out??

I'm going to guess but it sounds like XP isn't detecting your burner as a burner. maybe its not compatible with the built in software? Nero has support for it obviously but that program would use different files.

I had a burner which was compatible but not recognized by XP. In doing research I found that there was no LowerFilter set for it in the registry. I added a LowerFilter as imapi (which is what XP is looking for) and it has worked great ever since.

Before I started having problems and had to reinstall the drive everything was fine, so it can't be a problem of it not being compatible. What is this setting you refer to in the registry??

Thanks for the help,

Paul

Sorry it took awhile, been tied up.

Note that in the below, USBSTOR was where my hardware was because it is USB, yours may be under IDE, SCSI, etc depending on your hardware access. Simply find the drive name and look at the device key (in my example all zeros. There you should see capabilities, class, etc and your UpperFilter will most likely be set to redbook. This is where I added a LowerFilter set to imapi

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSBSTORCdRom&Ven_IOMEGA&Prod_ZIPCD_650_USB&Rev_P2.00000000000000000000&0

As always take caution when playing in the

registry, not simply saying that - learned the hardway once :-)

J