Trying to connect to VNC Server - where do I find the IP?

Question

I am new to VNC. I installed VNC Server on my home computer this morning. I have forgotten to write down the IP address.

I have a non computer literate friend trying to find the IP to give me, by using my instructions.

I am wishing to use VNC Viewer to connect to it from here.

Where would I find the IP address to be able to connect to VNC Server?

There are 7 (or so) tabs within the VNC Server program, neither of which apparently contain the IP address.

We have also tried hovering over the VNC Server icon in the system tray - it's not there either.

2 answers to this question

Just open the web browser and go to What Is My IP or something similar.

However on the basis you forgot to obtain your external IP before leaving, I don't leave much hope you patched up your router/firewall/other digital profilactic to allow your VNC through?

All the same, good luck!

Just remember you'll have to port forward the VNC port through your router to your desktop PC. Also when doing so try not to use the default port. Using the default port would get sniffed pretty easily using a port scanner because VNC would be expected on port 5900. So use a different port.

Once you change the vnc port, you can't just enter the IP address into the viewer. You also have to enter the port number. (Example 192.168.1.15:5800)