Weapons? What do you own?

Just picked up my very first gun, a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm. Have yet to fire though :(

I've never fired one of those before, but have heard some good things.  Wear ear plugs when shooting.  In my experience, 9mm pistols have a very sharp sound that can cause ear damage if you don't wear ear plugs.  I'd rather shoot my AR-15 without ear plugs than a 9mm pistol.

• 2 months later...

Had to order a new charging handle for my rifle from Windham.  I wrecked my 4 wheeler (aka quad or ATV).  It rolled over on top of me and sprained my wrist pretty good, scraped up my hand and elbow, and bent a piece of the charging handle on my rifle.  Surprisingly nothing else on the rifle was hurt, not even the finish.  The 4 wheeler was just a Kawasaki Bayou 250, so it was light enough that I was able to just throw it off me and flip it back over and drive on with it.  The old charging handle worked fine, but it looked like crap since part of the finish was knocked off, and the bend was awfully close to the roll pin that secures the latch, so I was worried about a possible future failure, so I just ordered a new one from the manufacturer and it dropped right into place.  Here's a picture of them side by side.  I stuck the old one in a little baggie and I'll keep it around as a spare since it does technically function fine, it just looks bad.  I have to hand it to the guys over at Windham Weaponry though, the 4 wheeler landed right on its top with this rifle in the gun rack, it bent the gun rack and sent the rifle sliding down the hillside, so for it to escape with only a bent charging handle was both lucky, and a testament to fine workmanship.

post-125978-0-75796400-1401782353.jpgpost-125978-0-84354800-1401782335.jpg

Minimal damage considering. Gun aside, how's the wrist? Hopefully nothing an Ace bandage and a few Motrin couldn't handle.

Wore a full length brace for a few days.  Have most of the mobility back, but it's still really tender.  I can hold a can of pop or carry light items, but I can't do anything too strenuous with it.  The X-Rays came back negative, but it hurts pretty bad if I try to strain it.  Been a couple weeks, if it doesn't improve in the next few days I'll go back to the VA.

You may have a small fracture that won't show on x-rays until the callus (healing bone) grows dense enough to show up. Takes a density difference of ~30% or so.

Yeah.  She thought she saw some translucency on the bone at the base of the thumb that connects to the wrist, but when they took a couple additional X-Rays it came up negative.  She gave me a brace that went from my elbow down and kept my hand from moving.  I wore it for a few days and have been taking Naproxen to help with the discomfort and the mild swelling, but it's still pretty uncomfortable, especially when I try to do anything forceful.  I can hold up my shotgun and rifle now though, at first just supporting the weight of my shotgun hurt like crazy, but at least now I can go squirrel hunting again.

Thanks for asking though, :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Never illegal but until the last few years you couldn't hunt with them unless you were a handicapper. Now they're allowed.

As to the atlatl; we cannot hunt with them yet. We can, however, hunt with a slingshot firing either a ball (usually steel) or an arrow. Quite a deadly sniper weapon.

sniper-arrow-shoot.jpg

omg I need one of these.... I recently added this to my collection of weapons ...

http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/stealth-hunter-70lb-compound-bow-black-6107-p.asp

Several boomerangs:

sport, hunting and display art types. Some are specific to hitting fowl on the fly.

Several bows:

110 lb draw PSE compound, a 75 lb Bear, 65 lb Bear Kodiak recurve, 100 lb English longbow (think Robin Hood), a custom made 65 lb recurve for bowfishing, a Barnett Ghost 400 crossbow etc. Been shooting a bow for 54 of my 62 years

Handguns:

C&B = cap & ball/black powder

FB = flintlock black powder & ball

.500 S&W Magnum - Magnum Research BFR (big f.... revolver)

.50 Action Express - Desert Eagle

45/70 Govt. (rifle round) - Thompson Center Contender (multiple calibers)

.44 Magnum - Smith & Wesson #29 (Dirty Harry's gun)

.44 Magnum - Ruger Super Blackhawk

.44 C&B - Colt 1860 Army (original & replica)

.44 C&B - Remington 1858 New Model Army (original & replica)

.44 C&B - Colt 1847 Walker (BIG!) (replica)

.40 FB - 1825 American naval belt pistol (flintlock - replica)

.357 Magnum - Smith & Wesson #686

.45 ACP - SIG Sauer GSR (stainless Colt M1911 clone)

.40 S&W - SIG Sauer P239 (carry piece)

.40 S&W - SIG Sauer P250sc (subcompact carry piece)

.45 ACP - SIG Sauer P250 (full size caliber/size kit for the p250sc)

9 mm - SIG Sauer P220

.380 - Ruger LCP pocket pistol)

.22 LR/.22 Magnum - Ruger Single Six (convertable)

Rifles & shotguns:

5 - Remington 700 BDL's in .300 Mag, 30-06, .264, .233 and .17

2,- Remington 760 pump rifles in 30-06 and .264

.58 Remington Zouave musket (C&B)

.54 Thompson Center Hawken plains rifle (C&B)

.50 Thompson Center Hawken plains rifle (C&B)

.44 Remington revolver carbine (C&B)

SKS (Chinese AK-47)

AK-47

AR-15 (civilian M-16)

Winchester 1400 12 Mag gauge auto

4 Remington 1100's in 12, 20 & 28 gauge, one a skeet shooting setup

3 Remington 870 pump shotguns in 12, 20 and 28 gauge

Mossberg 500 folding tactical shotgun in 12 gauge magnum

Browning Citori 12 gauge over/under for trap shooting

2 Savage side-by-side shotguns in 12 and 20 gauge

Savage 12 gauge/30-30 over-under combo survival gun

Plus whatever I forgot, knives, swords of several species and small arms like .22's, pellet, BB and other arms.

Will the real Ted Nugent please stand up?  :woot:

Romanian semi-auto AK-47 w/4 40 round clips (for fun/target)

Mossberg .410 Pump Shotgun 

Taurus PT-145 Millenium .45 w/ concealed carry permit

Walther PPK .380 Stainless (wife) w/ concealed carry permit

Mossberg semi auto .22 rifle 

Various knives,hatchets,machetes,etc.

Just added this to the arsenal.  I think it's at 75 lbs. draw, but I'm not 100% certain.  Was given to me 2nd hand from my father-in-law.  Have never hunted with a bow, so while I can hit the broad side of a barn, that's about all I can hit.  Tried practicing on a plastic jug and lost one arrow in the weeds because I missed by a few inches at 50 feet, so I'm not going to do any more practicing until I have a proper foam target to catch my arrows that is wide enough to allow some margin of error.

It's a "Martin" brand, says Made in U.S.A.  Not being a bow hunter, I don't know much about it.  I know it has 3 colored fiber optic front sights, and a rubber apperture sight built into the bow string that you peer through when it is drawn, but it seems a bit off to one side, or maybe I just suck, :P

Anyway, hopefully I can get some practice in and I'll give this thing a shot when deer season rolls around in September.

post-125978-0-70956800-1403219279.jpg

Looks like a Martin Pro Hunter. Nice bow. Like all hunting compounds they're very powerful.

Bit of advice: since it's used take it in to a good archery shop for a tune up. Change the string, check the cables, have it adjusted for YOUR draw length, check the bushings, lube etc. It'll shoot better and safer. Good time to check the arrows too.

Range time recommended, with someone checking your form. Compounds shoot different, and a mechanical release trigger makes it easier to get used to them.

• 2 weeks later...

Did some target practice yesterday just for the heck of it, and I have to say I was pretty impressed with the Winchester white box target ammo.  I'd never fired it before, but it actually yielded better accuracy than the Federal ammunition I've fired of the same type/weight.  At 100 yards using Federal 55 grain FMJ rounds, firing from a supported position, I had a group that was about 8 inches across.  Shooting this stuff from about 85 yards, unsupported, I had a 5 shot group around 2 inches across.  When I was shooting at one of the steel barrel lids I had set up as a target and it fell over, I fired 5 shots at it from a side angle, and 3 of the 5 went through the little one inch lip that sticks up around the rim of the lid, from 85 yards away.

I think I'll be switching from Federal to Winchester as my brand of choice.  Right now I've got PMC 62 grain penetrators, and they seem to do pretty good as well.

post-125978-0-15456400-1404080690.jpg

Get this....a new .375 AR round

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/06/27/another-new-ar15-round-375-reaper/

know there really is enough rounds for the AR platform that it will give you a headache just from trying to keep up. Now there is yet another round in R&D out there. Although the .375 Reaper is still in its infancy, there are various AR forums that are calling it the next .300BLK round and a contender to the .458 SOCOM. While I am not sure I agree with that, ballistics have always been fascinating to me, and building rounds is how we innovate and down the road save lives with better rounds for the police and military.

The case for the .375 Reaper is made from .308 brass that is cut down in length and then necked down to accept a .375 bullet. The round will also fit standard AR15 magazines, but your 30rd magazine becomes a 15rd magazine with the .375 Reaper. All that the end user would need to replace would be the bolt and barrel to be able to accept the new round. So just like being able to switch from 5.56 NATO to .300BLK just by changing the upper, this round would offer the same modular ability to the end user.

Because the round is still in the R&D phase, there are no official ballistics yet (that I was able to find) but I can imagine that the round, much like the .300BLK will be a big, slower moving round that will hit very hard and be dedicated to CQB shooting and inside of 300m. Reading through comments that W3 Precision has made, it looks like it will probably end up being a 200gr Spitzer bullet with a MV around 2300-2400fps, but of course that is (as always) subject to change.

Using the Applied Ballistics online calulator, I was able to build a mock round with a 200gr Spitzer bullet to show some of the possible ballistics. Here are the ballistics based on some rough numbers. The round begins to drop off at 300yds with a 22in drop, but at 400yds you end up with a bullet drop of 4 feet. Inside of 100yds the energy is right up there with a .308WIN and well over that of the .300BLK 220gr bullet (498ft-lbs). We will have to wait for official ballistics to come out, but early number look promising.

I will admit, my first reaction is that this is yet another round for the AR platform, but one that could be one to watch. The numbers are definitely interesting, and lend credence to the round being viable for various uses. Many are watching the round as a contender against the .458 SOCOM, the .375 Reaper being a cheaper alternative using more readily available brass instead of proprietary brass. If you are interested in keeping an eye on the progress, Whiskey 3 Precision Systems is posting updates on their Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/W3PrecisionSystems and has some other links listed to follow the progress.

10407294_670785142971223_138294710257542

• 3 weeks later...

nice to see a good few compound bows...still havent fired mine damn english laws, trying to find somewhere good to practice never fired a compound so need to get used to the power

nice to see a good few compound bows...still havent fired mine damn english laws, trying to find somewhere good to practice never fired a compound so need to get used to the power

I need to get a trigger for mine.  The string is notched for a trigger release mechanism, and I've already lost one arrow in the weeds in the back yard because I don't have very much practice releasing with just my fingers.

I use a wrist trigger release I've had for years. Rather than a cam or clamp it has a nylon loop that goes around the bowtring to a post, with an adjustable trigger pull.

One hand operation in spite of the string loop, and very little hand jitter gets to the bowstring.

Works on everything from a Bear Kodiak recurve to the big compounds. Not strong enough for the English longbow though.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up 2 in the last 2 days way faster than my normal pace

I traded a savage model 11 hog hunter with the acutrigger for a 1965 winchester model 94

I also picked up the day prior a 1970 M56/66 Yugo sks No electro penciling all matching numbers including the gas pistion except the mag cant tell in the pic but it has the ladder for the gernade launcher

cant for the life of me get the firing pin out I tried really hard to pound that pin that holds it in there out and its not moving Gonna have to press it out when I get the chance

IMG_0049.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

There's a Gun thread in the hobby sub-forum. You'll probably get the replies you're looking for there. All you'll get here is crime statistics. laugh.gif

LOL

I picked up 2 in the last 2 days way faster than my normal pace

I traded a savage model 11 hog hunter with the acutrigger for a 1965 winchester model 94

I also picked up the day prior a 1970 M56/66 Yugo sks No electro penciling all matching numbers including the gas pistion except the mag cant tell in the pic but it has the ladder for the gernade launcher

cant for the life of me get the firing pin out I tried really hard to pound that pin that holds it in there out and its not moving Gonna have to press it out when I get the chance

snip

snip

I've always thought lever guns just "look" professional and rustic.  I've wanted one for a long time just because they look cool, but I've got everything I need and can't justify spending that much money, at least at this point in time.

both rifles shoot great I think Im gonna reblue and refinish the model 94

as for the sks I love it by far my new favorite not sure if I want to polish it up and restain it or not yet

• 1 month later...