Tiger Woods aims for US PGA return after knee rules him out of the Open

Tiger Woods is expected to return to golf in time for the US PGA Championship in Atlanta next month but for the moment the sport has been left to digest the news that the former world No1 will not compete in the Open Championship at Royal St George's next week.

The announcement came on Tuesday via Woods's website, saying he would not make the trip to the Kent coast because of the injuries to his left knee and achilles. "I've been advised that I should not play in the British Open," the statement read. "I am only going to come back when I'm 100% ready. I do not want to risk further injury. That's different for me, but I'm being smarter this time. I'm very disappointed and want to express my regrets to the British Open fans."

Woods's withdrawal was not unexpected, but it nevertheless cast further doubt on the trajectory of his career. He stands 17th in the world rankings ? his lowest since 1997 ? and he is without a win in 20 months. His last victory on the US PGA Tour came almost two years ago, while his last in a major championship was the 2008 US Open.

Source - http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/jul/05/tiger-woods-the-open