Pyeongchang will host the 2018 Winter Olympics

Pyeongchang will host the 2018 Winter Olympics

Pyeongchang has been chosen to host the 2018 Winter Olympics.

The South Korean city was selected ahead of Munich in Germany and Annecy in south-eastern France.

The International Olympic Committee's 95 members reached their decision in the first round of voting in Durban.

It is third-time lucky for Pyeongchang, which led the way in the first round of voting for both the 2010 and 2014 Games, which ultimately went to Vancouver and Sochi respectively.

Pyeongchang, whose slogan is "New Horizons," says it can spread the Olympics to a lucrative new market in Asia and become a hub for winter sports in the region.

The Winter Games have twice been held in Asia before, both times in Japan - Sapporo in 1972 and Nagano in 1998.

More to follow.

Source: BBC Sports

You think those reports are correct? They've (VANOC) lied this whole time and now we're expected to believe we broke even?

Security costs were estimated at $142 million, they ended up being around $1 billion

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/sports/olympics/25vancouver.html

Olympic Village anyone??

I can't believe you would believe that lol...

There have been cuts in education and all kids of other areas.

You think those reports are correct? They've (VANOC) lied this whole time and now we're expected to believe we broke even?

Security costs were estimated at $142 million, they ended up being around $1 billion

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/sports/olympics/25vancouver.html

Olympic Village anyone??

I can't believe you would believe that lol...

There have been cuts in education and all kids of other areas.

how have they lied? and unless you have something else that disproves what VANOC says, we broke even :p

I'm too lazy so I'll say we broke even... haha

But we all know VANOC are liars, that's what I'm saying, I wouldn't trust anything they say.

I'm too lazy so I'll say we broke even... haha

But we all know VANOC are liars, that's what I'm saying, I wouldn't trust anything they say.

eh, maybe. but the olympics worth every penny IMO. downtown was amazing those three weeks. and the golden goal :D

Oh yeah, those 3 weeks were the best ever!

I'm not disputing that.. I think we all had the time of our lives :p