MyLiveTile.com

The question is - why isn't this a native feature?

Because most people don't want to waste their valuable screen space with icons that do nothing. I'd rather have a functional app in the place of a useless header.

Because most people don't want to waste their valuable screen space with icons that do nothing. I'd rather have a functional app in the place of a useless header.

+1

Great. A tile you can customize with text and colors.......next. :rolleyes:

The could Allow for some Text instead of the Tiles, that takes lot less screen space...

The question is - why isn't this a native feature?

Because it goes against the concepts of the Windows and Windows Phone Start screens in terms of how they are laid out.

I just realized this is just a text header. The bigger question to Microsoft is when will they deliver the ability to create user-hubs?

What do you mean by 'user hub'?

Because it goes against the concepts of the Windows and Windows Phone Start screens in terms of how they are laid out.

He means a hub you can make yourself where you can dump stuff into, so, basically a folder. heh.

He means a hub you can make yourself where you can dump stuff into, so, basically a folder. heh.

Yeah people want to know why MSFT had dropped the ball on folders. Don't tell me it's because "they dare to be different". :crazy:

Yeah people want to know why MSFT had dropped the ball on folders. Don't tell me it's because "they dare to be different". :crazy:

Trolling again I see, GTFO and go back to an Apple forum. You haven't even used a Windows Phone so why the **** are you even commenting in Windows Phone threads and trying to incite an arguement.

Yeah people want to know why MSFT had dropped the ball on folders. Don't tell me it's because "they dare to be different"

Folders on modern devices... Microsoft has spend a lot of time and effort trying to persuade people that the way to organise data is by usage & purpose rather than an outdated idea such as by folder. Apple have tried the same.

Also, people who use their stock symbol MSFT outside of a financial conversation are usually trying to look more knowledgable than they really are.

Folders on modern devices... Microsoft has spend a lot of time and effort trying to persuade people that the way to organise data is by usage & purpose rather than an outdated idea such as by folder. Apple have tried the same.

Also, people who use their stock symbol MSFT outside of a financial conversation are usually trying to look more knowledgable than they really are.

I never understood why computers should hide technical abstractions like folders away. This dumbing-down of computing is really bad for society. Computers used to be for geeks only and we loved the complexity of it.

I never understood why computers should hide technical abstractions like folders away. This dumbing-down of computing is really bad for society. Computers used to be for geeks only and we loved the complexity of it.

Gmail uses labels.. tagging instead of "Folders". Its called moving on - progress. lets you provide more relevant and contextual result when you search.

Windows is moving in that direction. people have waaaaay to many files and a lot less time these days for a neat classification.

Internet changed a lot of things. the "geek only" bit is a bit elitist

Gmail uses labels.. tagging instead of "Folders". Its called moving on - progress. lets you provide more relevant and contextual result when you search.

Windows is moving in that direction. people have waaaaay to many files and a lot less time these days for a neat classification.

Internet changed a lot of things. the "geek only" bit is a bit elitist

^^This

KingCrimson, you do realise that us "geeks" are a minority and that software developers develop for the majority.

It's hardly dumbing down. Folders are a dumb concept. It's an arbitrary way of sorting data that allows for ONE parameter. Tags, usage, etc allow much greater use of the data.

It took me a long time to move away from folders and embrace newer ways of sorting files and data. I was protective of my folder structure, but now I much prefer usage akin to tags, kinda how iTunes works.

Saying it's bad for computing is utter BS. It makes data easier to find, faster to use, better to work with.

Ignore KingCrimson for now, he/she is just trolling WP7 in this and that other (which OS is more efficient) thread.

Computers used to be for geeks only and we loved the complexity of it.

Because folders are complex? :D

On a serious note, and ignoring the troll, this "customisation" seems a bit limited. Was thinking it was a way to make my own animated tiles for a second there, got me all excited :(

Because folders are complex? :D

On a serious note, and ignoring the troll, this "customisation" seems a bit limited. Was thinking it was a way to make my own animated tiles for a second there, got me all excited :(

Believe me it does help to organise the apps I have pinned to the start screen, i'll post photos of my phone using it later today.