Microsoft shows off new Mango devices

Microsoft show new Windows Phone Mango devices from Samsung, Acer, Fujitsu and ZTE.

Samsung's new Windows Phone show similarity to the Samsung Galaxy S II and already features a front facing camera.

7-12-2011samsungwp7.jpg

wp7-3.jpg

Source

Wouldn't mind a Samsung Galaxy S II with Windows Phone 7. Not buying the current one with Android. Done with that OS.

I agree with that.

I've had the original Motorola Milestone and it was a zippy lit' phone. Then I bought the Milestone 2 and it was constantly lagging and hanging and often suddenly reboot: no idea what happened there.

Hi guys.. i am really planning to get the Omnia 7...

but i just saw the vid.. are they planning to increase the screen res on the upcoming phones/??

when are these going to be out? september ?

if so ill wait for one of these.. or maybe get an old one which will be much cheaper then.

Anybody know if the screen res is going to be updated?? or did the guy mean screen size?

Wouldn't mind a Samsung Galaxy S II with Windows Phone 7. Not buying the current one with Android. Done with that OS.

The Dutch language will be supported in Mango as well, if that sways your decision at all :)

Hi guys.. i am really planning to get the Omnia 7...

but i just saw the vid.. are they planning to increase the screen res on the upcoming phones/??

when are these going to be out? september ?

if so ill wait for one of these.. or maybe get an old one which will be much cheaper then.

Anybody know if the screen res is going to be updated?? or did the guy mean screen size?

The screen resolution is the same. The Samsung Galaxy S II also uses 480 x 800.

The release will likely follow the same schedule of the original 1st generation devices release.

so this means the resolution is going to be 480x800 like the current devices for another year?

if so ill buy one now...

the galaxy will be expensive ... and i dont want that much of RAM or Speed as WP7 is pretty efficient.

so this means the resolution is going to be 480x800 like the current devices for another year?

if so ill buy one now...

the galaxy will be expensive ... and i dont want that much of RAM or Speed as WP7 is pretty efficient.

It'll proably be a Nokia for us

I know it doesn't really mean anything.. but here's a fun anecdote..

my samsung focus (running mango beta 2) boots faster than my SGS II running Android 2.3.4

Not bad for "old" hardware like the 1Ghz snapdragon.

That said, I'd drop the focus for the new samsung wp7 device if only for that 4.3" super amoled plus display and a larger battery.

Gaming is the only area where I'd like to see a more powerful windows phone.. though Microsoft will need to be careful to avoid fragmentation.

Looks like MS is asking video/images of these new devices to be taken down on request of the OEMs, dunno why it matters though, specially that Acer, we've seen that over a month ago iirc. The other two are new though, and I'm guessing it's probably Samsung moaning to MS about jumping the gun. Oh well, now we know what it looks like and that it's coming, can't make people forget.

It'll proably be a Nokia for us

yup...seems like

also..

for some reason there are a few sites selling Omnia 7 for half the price of an unlocked set but its unlocked :s

And they are saying its hardware unlocked. if so it will be half the cost of a good Nokia. But i love the N9 design.. It is one set that can match the design quality of Iphone 4...

I really love Apples design.. They are always good with that. Except for Iphone 2 i think.. with the chrome back.. it just didnt handle well in my palm..

I also dont get it why the resolution have to be 480x800?? why cant it be double of that? i mean .. Its a restriction by Microsoft but for what? Their UI is text based and tiles are just squares.. They can perfectly scale to any res.. i think. if they allow it.

Now I'm confused. I had planned to get the very first Nokia Mango device. But this one looks tempting too. Design wise Samsung is better. But Nokia may have some extra features.

yup...seems like

also..

for some reason there are a few sites selling Omnia 7 for half the price of an unlocked set but its unlocked :s

And they are saying its hardware unlocked. if so it will be half the cost of a good Nokia. But i love the N9 design.. It is one set that can match the design quality of Iphone 4...

I really love Apples design.. They are always good with that. Except for Iphone 2 i think.. with the chrome back.. it just didnt handle well in my palm..

Amen. I liked the n8 design too. where did you see Omnia for half the price?

I also dont get it why the resolution have to be 480x800?? why cant it be double of that? i mean .. Its a restriction by Microsoft but for what? Their UI is text based and tiles are just squares.. They can perfectly scale to any res.. i think. if they allow it.

not sure about this but my guess is font. There isnt a way to change font size and there probably wont be in Mango. Metro Ui with typography in front and center will be ugly and non functions if the font size ratios are messed with... Higher res screen with have the font too small and Lower res screen will have too big..

not sure about this but my guess is font. There isnt a way to change font size and there probably wont be in Mango. Metro Ui with typography in front and center will be ugly and non functions if the font size ratios are messed with... Higher res screen with have the font too small and Lower res screen will have too big..

Not from a user point of view, but it's pretty easy for Microsoft to change font sizes based on screen resolution. There's also concessions for it built in the dev tools, though I doubt very many developers actually bother to use the Microsoft recommended PhoneFontSize resources right now whilst they're making their apps. But it wouldn't be hard for Microsoft to do. It'll probably be a slight headache for app developers, but screen res changes always are on these mobile platforms.

I'd say they're probably waiting to increase the supported screen resolutions to ones with the same pixel ratio as the current screens. At least that way it'll still be easy to scale games & apps up.

exactly..

thats what i mean.

keep the ratio.. just double the res.. something like retina display..

but still...

i still think 480x800 will be alot..

And well yea.. N8 is pretty.. but again the useless chrome around screen and the cuts make the design drop in my eyes..

N9 takes care of that. Also do u know about X7?? now thats a pretty phone.. but again too much going on. And i wana get something like N9.. which is a balanced phone.

Nokia-X7-00-3.jpg

I've been a happy customer with my Omnia 7, hope samsung follow up with an Omnia successor. I like the specs of the S2 but the omnia design whoops it all over the dance floor

exactly..

thats what i mean.

keep the ratio.. just double the res.. something like retina display..

but still...

i still think 480x800 will be alot..

And well yea.. N8 is pretty.. but again the useless chrome around screen and the cuts make the design drop in my eyes..

N9 takes care of that. Also do u know about X7?? now thats a pretty phone.. but again too much going on. And i wana get something like N9.. which is a balanced phone.

yeah. agree. about n8 i think n8's chrome around the screen is manageable. N9 is absolutely gorgeous http://swipe.nokia.com/design/

O MAN!!.. thanks for the LINK..

WOWWWWWWWWWWW....

cant wait for it!!!!!

i hope i can wait for it before i jump on WP7!!!..

i have my eye on samsung Omnia 7.. which is available here for around $450... if the Nokia is under $500 ill be the first one to get it here!..

cant wait! :D

The Samsung one is butt-ugly. And the Fujitsu, well, pink isn't the best choice of color, but at least the design looks like it has potential with a better color scheme.

It may look like SGS2 on the surface that's it.Iinternally it'll bare more resemblance to original galaxy s, omnia and focus. Microsoft aren't going to stray from their tried and trusted old crusty hardware which "just works" on but does nothing else. More importantly aside from the screens and back panels there's probably nothing different with all phones shown in the video.

In regards to increasing the resolution I doubt the makers are going to spend all the money investing in making the screen the most expensive piece of hardware in the device with increased resolution and PPI for hardware that isn't going to be able to operate it without being choppy and laggy. Just need to look at the HTC Sensation to realise this.

Microsoft won't stray far from their stagnant puddle that's the moral of their roadmap.

It may look like SGS2 on the surface that's it.Iinternally it'll bare more resemblance to original galaxy s, omnia and focus. Microsoft aren't going to stray from their tried and trusted old crusty hardware which "just works" on but does nothing else. More importantly aside from the screens and back panels there's probably nothing different with all phones shown in the video.

In regards to increasing the resolution I doubt the makers are going to spend all the money investing in making the screen the most expensive piece of hardware in the device with increased resolution and PPI for hardware that isn't going to be able to operate it without being choppy and laggy. Just need to look at the HTC Sensation to realise this.

Microsoft won't stray far from their stagnant puddle that's the moral of their roadmap.

Nice trolling :rolleyes:

It may look like SGS2 on the surface that's it.Iinternally it'll bare more resemblance to original galaxy s, omnia and focus. Microsoft aren't going to stray from their tried and trusted old crusty hardware which "just works" on but does nothing else.

SGS2 is a prototype, the design may change. Omnia is squarer edges so i'm not sure where you see a resemblance.

You seem to have it backwards, OEMs don't have to stick to the minimum specifications for hardware, not that WP needs dual cores to finally run smooth like some other OS's. :whistle:

All the WP devices have same res.. and no.. it wont make it choppy at all..

Yes dual core will add to it.. but a single core isnt taking anything away from it.

And if you didnt notice NOKIAs N9 screen is pretty .. VERY PRETTY!!!!!!! check up its specs .. it has no space between screen and glass.. almost none.

and Nokia has the best outdoor screen performance due to their specially tinted glass. But agreed nobody would do Higher DPI screens because they think mass consumers dont really need that. Nor would they notice. I partially agree.

I see many many people here with big touchscreens and a res of 320x240 :p and they look damn happy!>... showing off their BRIGHTER Screen :p

anyhow..

it seems nokia N9 will come with a premium.. 16gb... no 8gb model :(

so ill be going with Omnia 7.. the front of Omnia 7 perfectly competes Nokia N9.. its the back which is pretty ordinary. Nokia N9 unibody Sh#T!!!..