[Formula 1] F1 cars to use electric power only in pits from 2014

F1 cars to use electric power only in pits from 2014

F1 cars will have to run on electrical power only in the pit lane from 2014.

The technical rules for 2014 published by the FIA state cars must run ?in electric mode? with ?no ignition and no fuel supply to the engine at all times when being driven in the pit lane.?

Teams will be able to use both kinetic energy recovery and, for the first time, also recover energy from exhaust heat.

The kinetic element of the system will be twice as powerful as that used today with 120kW available.

The rules also define the new 1.6-litre V6 engines which will be introduced. These will be limited to 15,000rpm, down from 18,000 today.

They will retain the same 90-degree V-angle, and be restricted to a maximum fuel flow of 100kg/h.

The design, dimensions and materials used in the new engines are defined in more specific terms by the rules than the current V8s, which were introduced in 2006.

Self-starting motors

A further change to the rules will enable F1 cars to do something every road car is capable of ? start on its own.

The rules will require drivers to be able to start the engine ?when seated normally at the wheel and without any external assistance.?

This should put an end to drivers retiring from races because of stalled engines.

Minimum weight increase

The minimum weight of the cars will increase again, to 660kg (from 640kg).

A minimum weight for the power unit (including the engine and energy recovery system) has been set at 155kg ? previously the engine alone was subject to a minimum weight of 95kg.

Smaller front wings

An addition to the rules on bodywork will reduce the size of front wings. At present these may use the full 1,800mm width of the cars ? from 2014 they will be cut to 1,650mm.

Further tightening of restrictions at the front and rear of the car, and around the middle of the car to continue the work begun in the 2009 regulations changes to ?clean up? the appearance of the cars and reduce the number of small aerodynamic appendages.

Extra gear

The number of forward gears will be increased to eight ? and no fewer.

The FIA will allow a dispensation in 2014 when teams nominate which gear ratios they will use: ?For 2014 only, a competitor may re-nominate these ratios once within the Championship season, in which case the original nomination becomes immediately void.

?Ratio re-nominations must be declared as a set and may only be effected by the substitution of change gears.?

See the changes to the rules in full on the FIA?s website.

Source: F1Fanatic.co.uk

View: 2014 F1 Technical Regulations (.pdf)

Looks like by 2014 I may be quitting watching Formula 1, all these changes just doesn't seem to be doing the sport any good.

You must not be able to read properly. They are slowing the cars down a tad, and reducing downforce, making the drivers actually drive instead of just holding on for their lives. And the self-starting motors is quite possibly the best rule change in decades. How many times have we seen a driver spin and retire simply because he can't get the car restarted? This is good for both teams and the sport itself, with more racers on-track at the end of the event.

You must not be able to read properly. They are slowing the cars down a tad, and reducing downforce, making the drivers actually drive instead of just holding on for their lives. And the self-starting motors is quite possibly the best rule change in decades. How many times have we seen a driver spin and retire simply because he can't get the car restarted? This is good for both teams and the sport itself, with more racers on-track at the end of the event.

I can read perfectly well thank you

We don't see a car spin and not be able to restart that often as the cars have stall protection, having more cars on the track doesn't automatically make for a better race. Having more cars which are competetive makes for a more interesting race rather than just a couple of teams being in the lead and then the rest of the cars just being in the way as they are lapped.

Couple this with the possible change of broadcaster coverage at the end of this season and their constant rule changing and its making for a sport which isn't actually about the racing so much as what happens between the races with the races just being something that happens every few weeks.

You cannot honestly say that you like the fact that at the end of the race you don't always know the finishing positions for several hours whilst deliberation goes on?

Another great f**k up! More money will now have to be invested for teams to develop their car for this, and they want to keep F1 costs down? Leave the rules as they are then!

I want Bernie to go, I know ultimately it's not all his decision but I still hate him, he has no interest in the sport, just his childs investment

it's rules changes like this that keeps the cars competitive..

if there were not constant rule changes teams with the most money would completely dominate the sport, and new teams would just be there making up the numbers. things such as minimum weight restrictions for example mean that mclaren et al can't just build their cars from space age components that weight nothing, and other teams can't afford.

smaller wings with less downforce is an interesting one, i'm split on how this could affect the races.. people are right in saying that it will slow the cars down, but i think the end result will remain to be seen.

regardless, i'll keep watching, the races are exciting :)

I like those rule changes. :) No more retirements due to stalling, slightly heavier cars, less front downforce (meaning the driver needs to work harder), and an extra gear.

And as for using electric power in the pits only, do you reckon by 2020, the cars will be all-electric, or at least mostly electric?

The jump from the last race in 2013 to the beginning of the 2014 season is going to be huge. I expect 2013 cars will barely change during the year as teams prepare for the 2014 regulations.

Recycling energy from hot exhaust gases sounds brilliant.

Another great f**k up! More money will now have to be invested for teams to develop their car for this, and they want to keep F1 costs down? Leave the rules as they are then!

F1 is still the pinnacle of motorsport and car engineering, it will never be cheap.

New rules keep things interesting. For example, the electric motor for the pit lane. Whoever can develop the most compact motor will have an advantage because they can use the saved weight to balance the car up better, but they might sacrifice reliability. Ultimately though the technology will filter down to road cars to improve the performance of hybrids, which are pretty awful atm. They're steering away from aerodynamics because that has minimal impact on most consumer products.