Leak: LG Fantasy

Only one WP7? This is part of MSs problem. They need to get manufacturers to make AT LEAST the same numbers of Android phones if they are going to improve marketplace share.

The render does look pretty nice tho.

Only one WP7? This is part of MSs problem. They need to get manufacturers to make AT LEAST the same numbers of Android phones if they are going to improve marketplace share.

Look at it from LG's point of view, why gamble on producing Windows Phones when you can produce a safebet Android device.

Look at it from LG's point of view, why gamble on producing Windows Phones when you can produce a safebet Android device.

The market is saturated with Adroid handsets so it's kind of a stupid decision not to take a gamble on Windows Phone.

The market is saturated with Adroid handsets so it's kind of a stupid decision not to take a gamble on Windows Phone.

+1. Windows Phone 7 is doing better than most predicted, it's a solid platform.

• Like 1

+1. Windows Phone 7 is doing better than most predicted, it's a solid platform.

I have WP7, and I would love to see the OS succeed, but where did you get that data? If anything WP7 is doing worse than expected.

There is little point in making several different phones as the tight hardware requirements set forth for WP7 prevent too many combinations from being made.

The thign is, that among all the Android handsets, probably only one of them is as powerful as the WP7 one. while the rest are underpowered devices with small screens and slow CPU's and low memory or a combination of those. Since MS doesn't allow them to fragment the hardware with underpowered crap. they can't make that stuff, so they only need one device.

Honestly, yes android will probably alwayshave a higher amount of handsets than the competition because they allow low end handsets. But what is the point. Can you really brag that android is installed on so many devices, when the majority of Android handsets sold can't effectively be used as a smart phone ?

There is little point in making several different phones as the tight hardware requirements set forth for WP7 prevent too many combinations from being made.

I don't get why people keep saying this like they don't understand what minimum hardware requirements means. OEMs can make lots of combinations going up, single core or dual core, 256MB ram, 512, 768, 1GB RAM. 8GB , 16, 32+GB of storage. 3.5", 3.8", 4"+ screens and so on. Nothing stops them from going higher, just like on the PC, MS just sets the base, end of story.

The thign is, that among all the Android handsets, probably only one of them is as powerful as the WP7 one. while the rest are underpowered devices with small screens and slow CPU's and low memory or a combination of those. Since MS doesn't allow them to fragment the hardware with underpowered crap. they can't make that stuff, so they only need one device.

Honestly, yes android will probably alwayshave a higher amount of handsets than the competition because they allow low end handsets. But what is the point. Can you really brag that android is installed on so many devices, when the majority of Android handsets sold can't effectively be used as a smart phone ?

Woh. Galaxy S2, Atrix, Sensation, G2X, Evo3d. There you have 5 dual core handsets, each with significantly more raw power than any WP7 device. Also, the majority of Android handsets from 2010 ran 1GHz+ processors with some still performing excellently (Galaxy S, Desire, Desire HD etc etc). I'm all for reasoned arguments but don't spread unsupported BS.

Woh. Galaxy S2, Atrix, Sensation, G2X, Evo3d. There you have 5 dual core handsets, each with significantly more raw power than any WP7 device. Also, the majority of Android handsets from 2010 ran 1GHz+ processors with some still performing excellently (Galaxy S, Desire, Desire HD etc etc). I'm all for reasoned arguments but don't spread unsupported BS.

Significantly more raw horse power than a WP7 device, significantly more costly, and outperformed by the cheaper slower WP7 device. So what was your point with this ? and most OEM's don't have multiple high end handsets like that which was my point. they have one or two high end handsets that perform reasonably well. then they have 4-6 crap handsets that are useless as smart phones. and as I said, even their expensive high end handsets are outperformed by cheaper WP7 handsets.

Significantly more raw horse power than a WP7 device, significantly more costly, and outperformed by the cheaper slower WP7 device. So what was your point with this ? and most OEM's don't have multiple high end handsets like that which was my point. they have one or two high end handsets that perform reasonably well. then they have 4-6 crap handsets that are useless as smart phones. and as I said, even their expensive high end handsets are outperformed by cheaper WP7 handsets.

Poor backtrack.

• Like 1

+100

I don't get why people keep saying this like they don't understand what minimum hardware requirements means. OEMs can make lots of combinations going up, single core or dual core, 256MB ram, 512, 768, 1GB RAM. 8GB , 16, 32+GB of storage. 3.5", 3.8", 4"+ screens and so on. Nothing stops them from going higher, just like on the PC, MS just sets the base, end of story.

Hmmm I think there are only like 3 approved CPU chips right now. All of them made by Qualcomm. Also, I think the screen MUST be 800x480

Hmmm I think there are only like 3 approved CPU chips right now. All of them made by Qualcomm. Also, I think the screen MUST be 800x480

The set screen resolution doesn't dictate the screen size though, and the res requirement means less of a headache for devs who don't need to worry about their apps looking the same at different resolutions on different devices.

As far as support for more SoCs, sure it's limited in a sense but at the same time they're supporting the newest stuff that, if you look at the list, most smartphone makers go with. All of the big name droid phones use the same batch of SoCs that WP supports.

Do tell when you say 'outperform'. If performance is the speed with which I can perform tasks then how is Android outperformed? Widgets and folders alone bring a whole new level of organisation and speed with which I can access apps, toggle settings, check emails (And their content) from the homescreen, check Rss feeds etc etc. WP7 may have some of these features (Albeit it with less content) and I really do admire it visually but for performance I'm yet to come across a mobile OS that has any where near the amount of customization and therefore productivity that Android has. I could list a myriad of devices that perform excellently even today which started around the time of Nexus One. Sure, these manufacturers also have entry level devices (Wildfire for one) but these are hardly useless as smartphones, maybe in your opinion but for their target audience they work perfectly for their needs.

Also in your first line you state that the high end devices are too costly and the low end ones which obviously cost less are useless, what exactly is this sweet point that every Android manufacturer is apparently missing? The growth of Android speaks for itself, not all people are tech entusiats who need bleeding edge technology, therefore steps in price and performance hit pretty much every target audience. Some of these won't run certain apps or have the power to play certain games but those who find they want more have a long list of devices with a range of prices to choose from. Others will simply be happy with their cheap device. This is where WP7 is facing hurdles. Finally, like another person said, nice backtrack.

I've yet to see anyone buying a cheap android device be "happy" with it. they all quickly realize that they're not powerful or they don't use them as a smart phone in the first place and would be better off with a simple Nokia if some nerdy friend hadn't told them they "need" an android phone.

as for the sweet spot. it doesn't exist for Android. since even the high end phones aren't capable of maintaining smooth and consistent performance. Meanwhile WP7 steams along at a constant 60fps though the entire GUI. only games can run lower, and that only recently. raw performance means just that. WP7 can make twice as much use of the phone horsepower as an android phone. well actually considering how badly the dual core android are performing in parts of the OS, it more than outperforms Android by twice.

As for information availability, while android has nice cool widgets that make yoru home screen look like a disorganized mess. WP7 has been shown to be at worst 20% faster and more efficient at showing you the information you want/need. in fact you generally don't ever need to do more than click the top button to see the info. whereas Android requires that and then an unlock. And even then there's generally more steps than on a WP7 phone to get where you want.

• Like 2

I have WP7, and I would love to see the OS succeed, but where did you get that data? If anything WP7 is doing worse than expected.

Only sales wise and that's due to two things, lack of advertising on Microsofts part and hostility to the entire platform by carriers.

Customer satisfaction on the other hand puts WP7 above Android.

Source: Windows Phone tops Android in "Very Satisifed" users, both lag behind Apple

I've yet to see anyone buying a cheap android device be "happy" with it. they all quickly realize that they're not powerful or they don't use them as a smart phone in the first place and would be better off with a simple Nokia if some nerdy friend hadn't told them they "need" an android phone.

So this is purely among your friends/family? Clearly that's an appropriate sample to base all your assumptions on.

as for the sweet spot. it doesn't exist for Android. since even the high end phones aren't capable of maintaining smooth and consistent performance. Meanwhile WP7 steams along at a constant 60fps though the entire GUI. only games can run lower' date=' and that only recently. raw performance means just that

[/quote']

So you're judging performance based on homescreen/settings fluidity? Even though I admit that hardware acceleration is a must for Android (Coming with Icecream Sandwich) it's hardly the definitive criteria for performance. Also, I have a SGS2 which has hardware acceleration enabled and it's silky smooth, ask any SGS2 owner.

WP7 can make twice as much use of the phone horsepower as an android phone. well actually considering how badly the dual core android are performing in parts of the OS' date=' it more than outperforms Android by twice.

[/quote']

Source for any of these statements? I'd love to see them. Again, I have a SGS2 and one thing I've noticed (And that every reviewer seemed to mention) was the inability to slow it down regardless of the number of apps running or how demanding they were. How you can then say that WP7 outperforms all dual core Android handsets is beyond me, never mind the fact that there no dual core WP7 phones to even compare with.

As for information availability' date=' while android has nice cool widgets that make yoru home screen look like a disorganized mess. WP7 has been shown to be at worst 20% faster and more efficient at showing you the information you want/need.

[/quote']

Purely opinion. I have a number of homescreens, widgets and shortcuts and it's far from a disorganised mess. If anything the ability to group these items together as I see fit has increased my productivity while still looking nice. Also, compare any WP7 phone to another, beyond the color scheme it has the same 'Sheepish' feel as iOS. Some users like the ability to customize as they like, obviously some of these may look terrible but with minimal effort Android can and does look great (Look at honeycomb for how Androids looks will evolve) with IceCream Sandwich.

In short I can't see this argument reaching any sort of conclusion so I'll bid you adieu and I'll ask how your single core WP7 phone is performing in a year from now, I'm pretty sure my low performance SGS2 will be doing just fine.

So this is purely among your friends/family? Clearly that's an appropriate sample to base all your assumptions on.

So you're judging performance based on homescreen/settings fluidity? Even though I admit that hardware acceleration is a must for Android (Coming with Icecream Sandwich) it's hardly the definitive criteria for performance. Also, I have a SGS2 which has hardware acceleration enabled and it's silky smooth, ask any SGS2 owner.

Source for any of these statements? I'd love to see them. Again, I have a SGS2 and one thing I've noticed (And that every reviewer seemed to mention) was the inability to slow it down regardless of the number of apps running or how demanding they were. How you can then say that WP7 outperforms all dual core Android handsets is beyond me, never mind the fact that there no dual core WP7 phones to even compare with.

Purely opinion. I have a number of homescreens, widgets and shortcuts and it's far from a disorganised mess. If anything the ability to group these items together as I see fit has increased my productivity while still looking nice. Also, compare any WP7 phone to another, beyond the color scheme it has the same 'Sheepish' feel as iOS. Some users like the ability to customize as they like, obviously some of these may look terrible but with minimal effort Android can and does look great (Look at honeycomb for how Androids looks will evolve) with IceCream Sandwich.

In short I can't see this argument reaching any sort of conclusion so I'll bid you adieu and I'll ask how your single core WP7 phone is performing in a year from now, I'm pretty sure my low performance SGS2 will be doing just fine.

when I see my "old" 2010 Samsung Focus outperform some "new" Android phones with dual core CPUs, I don't need to question Hawkman's post. The UI of WP7 is buttery smooth in performance and not sluggish/jittery/jurky as seen on most Android phones from motorola/HTC/Samsung. I haven't seen SGS2 so can't comment on that but it's a fact that Samsung Focus outperforms Samsung Captivate (both are at&t phones) and AFAIK Focus runs an "older" CPU. It's not very difficult how it will pan out with comparable hardware on SGS2.

p.s. Honeycomb on Xoom is a mess so I hope they genuinely improve in Icecream Sandwich.

No, among the hundreds upon hundreds of people I SELL phones to. and that I sell new phones to after they're not happy with their previous purchase.

now about those assumptions...

• Like 2