Online Photo Gallery!

I am just a beginner in photography but I was wondering what sort of site/service do you guys mostly use to store all your photos online? I am looking for a decent service(free most probably) to store my photos online but it has to be user friendly and if it has an desktop app to automatically upload them it would be great. Plus it has to be able to create private albums as well.

Suggestions?

I personally use Google Picasa which supports uploading in full or reduced quality to Picasa web albums, which you can restrict access to if you choose. They only offer a couple of GB for free though. I've been using www.photobucket.com for storing random images for years and have yet to hit their storage limit, if they even have one. Another one that I like to frequent is deviantart.com, but I don't use it much so I'm not sure of what kind of restrictions are in place for free users. Out of those 3, for the most storage for your dollar, I'd use photobucket, but they don't have a desktop app like Picasa does, which is why I use Picasa. I can do my little level 1 editing and upload them straight to the website. The app also keeps a backup of the originals of any pictures you modify, so if you later decide you don't like the modifications made, you don't have to worry about manually making copies before you edit photos.

Edit: Here's an album I uploaded today, to give you an idea of what their web interface looks like. Users can download the photos in full quality straight from the site.

https://picasaweb.google.com/marcusdean.adams/FishingInTheSound?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCPju-ruX0PWpZw&feat=directlink

I personally use Google Picasa which supports uploading in full or reduced quality to Picasa web albums, which you can restrict access to if you choose. They only offer a couple of GB for free though. I've been using www.photobucket.com for storing random images for years and have yet to hit their storage limit, if they even have one. Another one that I like to frequent is deviantart.com, but I don't use it much so I'm not sure of what kind of restrictions are in place for free users. Out of those 3, for the most storage for your dollar, I'd use photobucket, but they don't have a desktop app like Picasa does, which is why I use Picasa. I can do my little level 1 editing and upload them straight to the website. The app also keeps a backup of the originals of any pictures you modify, so if you later decide you don't like the modifications made, you don't have to worry about manually making copies before you edit photos.

Edit: Here's an album I uploaded today, to give you an idea of what their web interface looks like. Users can download the photos in full quality straight from the site.

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

I already have accounts on photobucket and picasa but as you said photobucket isnt that much aimed at people who are looking to store their original work its more of an image hosting site. Picasa really looks pretty impressive and to upgrade the storage its just 5$ a per year. I am going to use picasa and I usually edit my photos to reduce the size before uploading them as well cause I have a slow internet connection glad to picasa takes care of it as well thats pretty sweet. Its more like iPhoto on the cloud right? Thanks for your suggestion it really helped me to chose between picasa and photobucket!!!

Honestly I would reccomend windows photo gallery over picasa.

it has better editing abilities whereas Picasa at least only used to be able to make stuff brighter. It's faster, and generally just works better. it also has much better support than picasa. and may support whatever gallery you want natively, or there's a plugin for it.

as for actual web galleries, the top two or Gallery (gallery 3) or Coppermine (CPG), of which CPG is the more advanced, but would also require more work. Then there's also other easier and lighter alternatives that mostly need to plug into stuff like wordpress or Joomla. But may for the purpose do an equally good or better job.

oh if you don't intend to buy a domain/webspace to host your own gallery on, I would suggest Flickr. which is used a lot by more pro artist to spread their work, and it's natively supported by Live Photo Gallery.

it has better editing abilities whereas Picasa at least only used to be able to make stuff brighter. It's faster, and generally just works better. it also has much better support than picasa. and may support whatever gallery you want natively, or there's a plugin for it.

as for actual web galleries, the top two or Gallery (gallery 3) or Coppermine (CPG), of which CPG is the more advanced, but would also require more work. Then there's also other easier and lighter alternatives that mostly need to plug into stuff like wordpress or Joomla. But may for the purpose do an equally good or better job.

oh if you don't intend to buy a domain/webspace to host your own gallery on, I would suggest Flickr. which is used a lot by more pro artist to spread their work, and it's natively supported by Live Photo Gallery.

You are assuming he's running Windows, which given his comment about iPhoto, and the fact that he has iCloud on his little Avatar, I'm leaning towards him being a Mac user. I never thought about Flickr though, I do see lots of people using it. I try to stay away from platform dependent solutions though which is why I suggested Picasa, it has a client for Windows (You), Mac OSX (Him), and Linux (Me).

I have used windows photo gallery before but I am not a huge fan of it. Thats why I am leaning over to picasa. I have tried flickr before but does it provide a way to upload photos like the solutions provided by picasa?

CPG is more advanced but it doesnt suit my needs as I need just an online gallery so I can show or view my photos when I am not home and update it as well. Flickr or picasa would do but I am leaning more towards picasa cause it reduces the size before upload which is a huge plus as I have a slow internet connection. If flickr can provide that as well I might use it. I read that photos can be uploaded straight from picasa desktop app to flickr is it correct?

You are assuming he's running Windows, which given his comment about iPhoto, and the fact that he has iCloud on his little Avatar, I'm leaning towards him being a Mac user. I never thought about Flickr though, I do see lots of people using it. I try to stay away from platform dependent solutions though which is why I suggested Picasa, it has a client for Windows (You), Mac OSX (Him), and Linux (Me).

At the moment I am still a windows user but will be switching to a mac in a few months but I am an iOS user which explains the iCloud avatar.

But flickr is pretty expensive compared to picasa though.

PIcasa can upload to flickr I think, but it requires some extra workarounds that WLPG doesn't. and as I said, Picasa has horrible image "fixing" tools in comparison. Personally if you are serious about photography and use a DSLR, I would reccomend you go with LightRoom anyway. Then you can properly and efficient fix up your raw photos and upload easily to ANY service. and both WLPG and Lightroom will resize when uploading. Lightroom lets you set exactly what sizes ou want ti resized to.

Flickr is free though, unless you want to upload bigger photos or videos which it doesn't seem like you want.

• 2 months later...

Just for storage, I use Imageshack. I edit with other. But I keep a fair amount of photos at imageshack and it's free. :D

https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Totally off topic, but damn nice hooters on the girl cooking the crab! :-) And I just noticed that she spells her name the same way (almost) as my sister (no apostrophe in my sister's name though), which doesn't appear to be very common.

Totally off topic, but damn nice hooters on the girl cooking the crab! :-) And I just noticed that she spells her name the same way (almost) as my sister (no apostrophe in my sister's name though), which doesn't appear to be very common.

So ya like your girls with some meat on them huh?

• 1 month later...