BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

BBC and Sky awarded rights in new Formula 1 deal

The BBC and Sky Sports will broadcast Formula 1 in the UK between 2012 and 2018 under a new rights deal.

The BBC has been the exclusive broadcaster of F1 in the UK since 2009 but its contract with Formula One Management was due to expire after the 2013 season.

Sky Sports will show every race, qualifying session and practice live.

BBC Sport will broadcast half the races live, as well as the qualifying and practice sessions from those races.

Both companies will broadcast in high definition.

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Barbara Slater, director of BBC Sport, said: "We are absolutely delighted that F1 will remain on the BBC.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

Races shown live on BBC TV will include the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, the Monaco GP and the concluding race of the season.

Barney Francis, managing director of Sky Sports , said: "This is fantastic news for F1 fans and Sky Sports will be the only place to follow every race live and in HD.

"We will give F1 the full Sky Sports treatment with a commitment to each race never seen before on UK television."

Source: BBC Sport

Half the races??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I wouldnt expect this deal to last, the teams will have something to say about it. They wanted F1 to stay free to air they have sponsorships to fulfill but they cant if half the races are going to get significantly less viewing figures.

BBC cheap ********, i wont be renewing my TV Licence now they can jog on.

Half the races??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

I wouldnt expect this deal to last, the teams will have something to say about it. They wanted F1 to stay free to air they have sponsorships to fulfill but they cant if half the races are going to get significantly less viewing figures.

BBC cheap ********, i wont be renewing my TV Licence now they can jog on.

Half the races. For the other half you can buy a Sky Sports subscription and enjoy James Allen as commentator.

Dunno if thats sarcasm or not but i cant stand F1 commentators, i dont listen to brundle or david coulthard, i prefer david croft and ant davidson on 5livef1.

I cant get sky in my area i live in a deep valley, the hills and trees, etc.. block the signal.

Just looked up prices even if i could get sky it would be ?20 for basic package, then ?20 for sky sports then ?10 for sky hd. Thats ?50 a month when the races arent on every weekend, my tv has Freeview HD and i can watch every race in HD for free.

what i took from the statement is that all races would be on the bbc but only half would be live. So some races such as 6am ones may only be aired at 12.10pm (lunchtime) instead of both 6am and 12.10pm.

update: The BBC will have "extensive" highlights of all races and qualifying it does not cover live.

Damnit! I'll have to wait for someone to upload the sky broadcasts for the non-live races :( Was hoping that channel4 would get some of the races and BBC would get the others. Bernie Eccelstone is a sell-out, he promised they would be free-to-air!

Sky will probably have adverts every 15mins and we'd love 3mins of race each time :(

what i took from the statement is that all races would be on the bbc but only half would be live. So some races such as 6am ones may only be aired at 12.10pm (lunchtime) instead of both 6am and 12.10pm.

To quote the article:

The BBC will have highlights on TV and mobile for any race it it is not showing live, and all races will be broadcast on BBC Radio 5 live.

Doesn't sound like the BBC will show the full races they don't have the right for on TV. Just some form of highlights show.

only half of the races are live on bbc. why is this BBC ? i guess it stime to boycot the licence fee. wounder if the tennis will be the next to get selected live matches.

nothing we can do about it tho the deal is done.

Ok back to raging again.

Maybe a small glimmer of hope:

There is hope for fans yet as the new deal may infringe upon the teams? contract with Bernie Ecclestone.

Whitmarsh said last month: ?Our current contracts require that F1 remain on free-to-air and the teams, through FOTA, are clearly going to safeguard their business interests and the interests of the fans in this regard.?

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/29/keeping-f1-freetoair/

For 12 months of Sky Sports a new user will have to pay ?487*. And that?s only if you want to see the action in standard definition.

To see every F1 race in HD next year the price goes up to an eye-watering ?610. No wonder Sky just announced annual profits of more than ?1bn.

- from F1fanatic

Yeah i just said that up there, its ?50 a month if you want to watch F1 in HD and thats not including the phone line rental if you dont use sky for phone thats an extra ?12 a month.

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

So it makes sense to drop half the races... right??? :blink:

Due to the unique way in which the BBC is funded we are now going to **** up your favorite TV shows.

I'm adding it to the list BBC, along with Doctor Who and Torchwood

For fans who cannot afford to get Sky OR cannot even get sky (like me due to planning rights in my area) this is just crap by the BBC weasling out of the contract early

Unless there is some massive U-turn looks like I was right when I said I wouldn't be watching F1 :(

and NO watching half the races and some "highlights" isn't the same

Sky Sports will show all the practises, qualifying and races throughout the year, whereas BBC will only show half. (This is what I gathered with Jake Humphry on the Chris Moyles Show on Radio 1 this morning)

I'm properly ****ed off. I love F1, but cannot afford Sky Sports, so I'm only going to see half of the season. Sure, BBC will show highlights of the races it doesn't show, but that isn't exactly exciting...

Oh well no more F1 for me.

No point in watching just half the races, as I won't get into the season as such. Unless I can find somewhere online which streams.

If not, it's been a pleasure watching F1 for many years, but I refuse to pay for rich man TV (sky)

Sad to hear the BBC are not going to screen all the races in the new deal so I think I'll give up F1 also, no point in watching half of it or Sky's butchered version with 15 mins of racing at the most then a wall of ads.

Also, a good excuse now to comply with the wife's request to cancel the sky subscription. No one is watching it in the house now so I'll make the call in a few mins and tell them to stuff it. This will be a Sky Free house, all down to F1, and the bonus is I'll get to save the ?27 a month.