.NET Framework 4 0x80070643

Some updates were released this week and a couple of those were for .NET Framework and they wouldn't install with error 0x643. I ran the fixit and then I followed method 2 on this page:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100/

This removed .NET Framework 4 and reset 3.5 so I had to install some updates for 3.5 which worked fine. However when I try to reinstall .NET Framework 4 again the installation rolls back, here is some information from the logs:

OS Version = 6.0.6002, Platform 2, Service Pack 2
OS Description = Vista - x64 Business Edition Service Pack 2
CommandLine = C:\1f1a3c510d254452394ab18ca66aad33\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
TimeZone = GMT Daylight Time
Initial LCID = 2057
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
Operation: Installing
Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
Package Version = 4.0.30319
User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
Number of applicable items: 12
Exe (C:\1f1a3c510d254452394ab18ca66aad33\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
ServiceControl operation succeeded!
ServiceControl operation succeeded!
Exe (C:\1f1a3c510d254452394ab18ca66aad33\Windows6.0-KB956250-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x1 - Incorrect function. .
MSI (C:\1f1a3c510d254452394ab18ca66aad33\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110811_111928801-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
MSI (C:\1f1a3c510d254452394ab18ca66aad33\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110811_111928801-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:03:30).

I've had that error yesterday. Ended up removing the crap as I don't currently use any applications requiring .NET 4. I suppose I'll have to go through the fix anyway so I can help others, if it ever comes along. But, hell, every WU error I've ever had is because of something being wrong with .NET...

So far, I haven't had any issues with that .Net crap except for the fact it takes FOREVER to install!!

Man, do I hate that junk!!

One thing I do like about Windows XP compared to Windows 7, is the fact that the .Net junk wasn't installed out of the box and I've NEVER installed it on any of my XP computers.

Since it was installed out of the box on Windows 7, I've just gone with the flow and kept it updated, when those updates come out.

Is it possible to remove that stuff and still have Windows 7 run smoothly?

Ended up removing the crap as I don't currently use any applications requiring .NET 4.

As much as I'd like to, I use Expression Studio so .NET Framework 4 is a requirement.

I've managed to get .NET Framework 4 to reinstall again. I ran the cleanup tool http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx but this time only cleaned up .NET Framework 4 files. Then I've gone into %temp% and deleted all files in there. Running the full .NET Framework 4 installer after this seems to have fixed it, just about to try the updates again.

So far, I haven't had any issues with that .Net crap except for the fact it takes FOREVER to install!!

One thing I do like about Windows XP compared to Windows 7, is the fact that the .Net junk wasn't installed out of the box and I've NEVER installed it on any of my XP computers.

Since it was installed out of the box on Windows 7, I've just gone with the flow and kept it updated, when those updates come out.

I don't understand why you would want to remove it, lots of stuff uses it now days

I also agree, it takes FOREVER to install. I mean come on Microsoft. sweet Jesus! It even takes a while to install on SSD's!

I also agree, it takes FOREVER to install. I mean come on Microsoft. sweet Jesus! It even takes a while to install on SSD's!

it's not just "installing" a lot of the assemblies are doing first run compile and optimization routines and its waiting for that so it doesn't have to do it when an app runs for the first time waiting for stuff in the GAC to optimize

it's not just "installing" a lot of the assemblies are doing first run compile and optimization routines and its waiting for that so it doesn't have to do it when an app runs for the first time waiting for stuff in the GAC to optimize

Why does it have to compile? Why can't it install like a normal peace of software? Just wondering.

I don't understand why you would want to remove it, lots of stuff uses it now days

What is "lots" of stuff?

I have absolutely nothing that has ever used it, thusly NEVER installed it on a XP machine. Even on Windows 7, I change that crap .Net 4 ngen thing that wants to start automatically set to manual, and have never seen it start up, and have never had an issue.

For something fun to do, try changing your sound scheme to make some type sound when a program opens and closes. Listen to that .Net thing make your computer sound like some messed up cd skipping all over the place, especially when installing/updating it!

Those first runs are only supposed to take a minute or at least be relatively quick. NOTHING even remotely quick about it!!

What is "lots" of stuff?

I have absolutely nothing that has ever used it, thusly NEVER installed it on a XP machine. Even on Windows 7, I change that crap .Net 4 ngen thing that wants to start automatically set to manual, and have never seen it start up, and have never had an issue.

For something fun to do, try changing your sound scheme to make some type sound when a program opens and closes. Listen to that .Net thing make your computer sound like some messed up cd skipping all over the place, especially when installing/updating it!

Those first runs are only supposed to take a minute or at least be relatively quick. NOTHING even remotely quick about it!!

first run times a ton of assemblies = lots of time, hence why they do it for the GAC when its installed....

and if you are complaining about it making noise when a program launches, thats because when it has to launch the app that does the optimization routines it launches one per assembly... until its done

Why does it have to compile? Why can't it install like a normal peace of software? Just wondering.

since .NET is CPU independent, it will compile / optimize the MSIL code for your native CPU so it can't just compile it straight off the bat as it doesnt know if its on x86, x64 or ARM

since .NET is CPU independent, it will compile / optimize the MSIL code for your native CPU so it can't just compile it straight off the bat as it doesnt know if its on x86, x64 or ARM

Hmm.... Well I guess that makes sense.

If you want to get the assembly compiling/optimizing done now, you can always do an "NGen ExecuteQueuedItems" in a console, it'll force it to finish whatever's on its plate instead of chugging along in the background. Once the queue is empty, you'll notice the service will go away and leave you alone too. It's set to auto start by default, but if it's not doing anything, it'll close itself down again. If you don't work with dotNET normally and don't have a path set for it, the compilers and such including NGen are located in "%WinDir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319" Being device/OS independent is usually a handy feature.. but a platform update hurts when it has to rebuild itself.

Ignorant "camputah iksperts". Always talking about something they know nothing about.

Go to linux already. "Keeping it updated" is much more fun than ticking that single checkbox during the Windows install.

More fun than click-and-done on my BSD systems? (Which oddly enough is near identical to how I do it in Windows?) Or fun as in a masochistic "yay I get to watch my kernel compile for the next hour or two" sort of way? Know you're trolling, but a blanket "go to Linux" isn't exactly showing off any particular knowledge either, especially when it means absolutely jack to the question at hand.

More fun than click-and-done on my BSD systems? (Which oddly enough is near identical to how I do it in Windows?) Or fun as in a masochistic "yay I get to watch my kernel compile for the next hour or two" sort of way? Know you're trolling, but a blanket "go to Linux" isn't exactly showing off any particular knowledge either, especially when it means absolutely jack to the question at hand.

My statement ment both "fun" and fun. To each his own. What fun or "fun" there is in selecting the recommended automatic update option during Windows install? It's neither fun, not "fun". Linux on the other hand can provide you both.

I work on FreeBSD every day (work). Some of my friends who admin Linux servers even ask me questions about some advanced shell programming. As for Linux, I don't use use it that much.

My greatest adventure with *nix was installing Gentoo Portage on Windows Vista kernel (Interix), emerging XFCE and running it on X Server on Winows. It was really fun and "fun". I even exposed and fixed several bugs in popular apps like bash and python and some packages.

Click-and-done on FreeBSD? Tell that to a man who needed to install a complex application from .tgz without root access and without the ports. Yes, I managed it after a long time. Too bad that after a fev versions my method broke.

I think that everyone should use the system they like most and stop whinning. "Don't like Windows registry and file system? Switch to Linux and kiss your .config INIs, and don't forget to take your whines with you." I'm tired of people trashing things without even a basic understanding... registry, NTFS, .Net, Windows, C#, Bing, VB, IE, Mono, Zune, WP7.

Ignorant "camputah iksperts". Always talking about something they know nothing about.

Go to linux already. "Keeping it updated" is much more fun than ticking that single checkbox during the Windows install.

FWIW and although not even close to on topic, I'll acknowledge your post. I DO use Linux every day!! Suse and Zenwalk.

Never claimed to be a "camputah ikspert" but am not going to learn anything if I don't enquire.

If you want to get the assembly compiling/optimizing done now, you can always do an "NGen ExecuteQueuedItems" in a console, it'll force it to finish whatever's on its plate instead of chugging along in the background. Once the queue is empty, you'll notice the service will go away and leave you alone too. It's set to auto start by default, but if it's not doing anything, it'll close itself down again. If you don't work with dotNET normally and don't have a path set for it, the compilers and such including NGen are located in "%WinDir%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319" Being device/OS independent is usually a handy feature.. but a platform update hurts when it has to rebuild itself.

Yep,

Know all about that command "ExecuteQueuedItems" and appreciate the insight.

Who cares how long it takes to install(no more than a few hours at max). As long as it works and does it's thing then let it do it's thing and be done with it. My only complaint with .net 4 is that bootup is slowed, but without it, it is fine.

Who cares how long it takes to install(no more than a few hours at max). As long as it works and does it's thing then let it do it's thing and be done with it. My only complaint with .net 4 is that bootup is slowed, but without it, it is fine.

hours? seriously? I can install the entire Visual Studio 2010 in under 20 minutes... to install .NET framework alone only takes a couple minutes, .NET has nothing to do with the boot of the OS at all, there is one service yes, but it only runs when needed