Bing launches

Microsoft announced the availability of a new location based Windows Phone app on Thursday.

The application, named ?we?re in? and built by the Bing team, is exclusively available to Windows Phone users. We?re in allows users to join a virtual group and share their location. The app is designed to remove the time and frustration around arranging to meet friends. We?re in will allow friends to automatically share their location so other friends will know when each other are running late to meet at a mall or for dinner.

http://www.winrumors.com/bing-launches-were-in-location-planning-app-for-windows-phone/?utm_campaign=twitterwp&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

But only in the US!!

Why is it that I can get MSN Onit, a US localised app, in the UK yet an app that uses Bing Maps isn't available anywhere outside the US?

Frankly this US only BS is starting to **** me off!!

I don't get it either, it's about damn time the Bing team break out of their US only box right now. Unless they're waiting for mango to go retail and flip some sorta magic server side switch or something.

With windows, you don't even have to suspect your phone is tracking your every move. You know it is!

Wait... what?

This must be some kind of record. First post, and trolling?

wow... such utter fail.

Mr.Ed

• Like 1

With windows, you don't even have to suspect your phone is tracking your every move. You know it is!

Um??? I think you mean iOS and Android. Go read some past news and you'll see what I'm talking about. Microsoft is the only company that hasn't come under scrutiny by the US Congress for tracking its users' data on their phones, while Apple and Google have.

Also, Windows Phone 7 does not use the Windows kernel, so it's not Windows at all. It's only "Windows" in its name, and nothing more.

Back to the topic:

Yeah, I too wish Bing would stop this US-only mantra and allow their perfectly functional apps to be used in other countries. I have no idea why they insist on limiting their services to the rest of the world.

• Like 1

1.I know all about the google and apple scandles. :rolleye: I was just joking about how all of those major phone companies have been tracking people.

2. it's called the WINDOWS PHONE so it is windows at all.

3. Bing's US only mantra isn't on topic

4. You don't have to be such a fanboy.

I'm not even trolling, is the thing. I made a tiny joke, one guy jumped on me and corrected me with facts (plog cf), while a noob (don't worry I'm one too) started going around shouting fail troll.

You say it was a joke, but the problem is that it's not funny. Try harder next time.

1.I know all about the google and apple scandles. :rolleye: I was just joking about how all of those major phone companies have been tracking people.

2. it's called the WINDOWS PHONE so it is windows at all.

3. Bing's US only mantra isn't on topic

4. You don't have to be such a fanboy.

1. As others have said Microsoft wasn't one of those scrutinised by Congress for tracking users of their mobile devices.

2. It's called Windows Phone but it's a completely different beast to the desktop version of Windows, it uses the Windows CE OS as it's base. Maybe you should read up on it here or even Windows CE itself here.

3. Actually Bings US only mantra is on topic, the app in question isn't on any other marketplace than the US one, try harder next time!!

4. The forum name should have given you a clue not to troll in here.

:rolleyes:

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it ****es you off that much, get off your ass and start your own company in your country that competes with the US based offerings. Until you are willing to invest your time and money in that, stop bitching that a US based company launches their stuff in the US first.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. If it ****es you off that much, get off your ass and start your own company in your country that competes with the US based offerings. Until you are willing to invest your time and money in that, stop bitching that a US based company launches their stuff in the US first.

That's easy for you to say, you live in the US!!

You mean like the two games that were released last week everywh... oh, sorry those are US exclusives. How about another example, MSN Onit, completely useless outside the US yet it's on the UK marketplace and available for download, yet an app that uses Bing maps which would work in the UK isn't.

I'll just say this, where are the territorial boundaries online??

If you're going to quote my posts, then quote the whole ****ing thing instead of a single line out of context!!

img.php

But only in the US!!

Why is it that I can get MSN Onit, a US localised app, in the UK yet an app that uses Bing Maps isn't available anywhere outside the US?

I don't get it either, it's about damn time the Bing team break out of their US only box right now. Unless they're waiting for mango to go retail and flip some sorta magic server side switch or something.

+1 I cant believe MS is so stupid not to realize this. I'd have thought US only failure of Zune would have taught them something.

wtf? maybe you should rant at MS for releasing Bing in other countries - a crippled Bing at that. also do you know Bing is worked on by some people in MS's India (Hyderabad) campus and a few other countries (Cambridge UK?) ? maybe, they should all stop working on Bing and start a company - by your logic :rolleyes:

oh and google already has mostly full featured services and in some cases, country specific services. ex. http://www.google.co.in/movies gives movie and theatre search and reviews in India- that get genarlised later.

That's just about the dumbest attitude ever.

That's just about the dumbest attitude ever.

No, the attitude of "I'm gonna bitch about stuff that doesn't get released in my country" takes that honor.

No, the attitude of "I'm gonna bitch about stuff that doesn't get released in my country" takes that honor.

It looks like you're in a minority of one.

As others have said, Microsoft are simply letting themselves down by failing to roll out key features of their product to all the markets they're trying to compete in. Users have a right to ask why advertised features don't work properly and attitudes like yours will only result in a second rate product that doesn't gain the traction it deserves.

This looks like a really neat app idea. Does your friend need to have this app and WP7 too?

Really, it would have made sense to just build this into the People Hub. Maybe in Tango...