Exomount Universal car phone holder

Okay so some of you guys know I've been playing with mobile phone car holders since getting my SII and today the latest one from Exogear Exomount came in the mail.

Initial impressions were "well this is quite plasticy!" I could have sworn it looked better quality in the promotional videos!

sgs-ii_exogear_solo.jpg

The suction cup on the bottom doubles as one of those washable sticky surfaces so I now knew how it was able to stick to wooden doors and things in the advert.

sgs-ii_exogear_stick.jpg

It's also quite soft so I wandered how stable it would be in a car where vibrations could affect your eyes focusing on the phone screen if it's constantly vibrating. More on that later.

It costs ?20 and honestly I would have expected it to be a bit heavier and built out of metal at least, this would also help it stay stable because when I tried it out in the car I noticed how prone to vibrations it actually was! I don't think there would be any easy way of using this with a big screened phone without it vibrating and causing a problem trying to read text on the map screen in the first instance.

The Nokia CR-115 which costs less and I felt was a more stable but neither are as stable as my DIY dash mount while the official Samsung mount is the most stable of them all but offers fewer adjustments and cannot be used with a case attached.

Fore ?15 more I reckon the official Samsung car dock is a better deal. you also get a charger with it and it enables Car Mode automatically. The only gripe is you have to detach any case on the phone to use it and that it doesn't much (virtually any) vertical angle adjustment if you intend on mounting it on your dash instead of the windscreen.

I have a few photos of the Exomount next to the Nokia CR-115. You can see how much taller but skinnier it is. I reckon the Nokia looks the smartest of them all though, it's not too black and not too grey so blends in with most car interiors and it's also low profile so sits quite discreet.

Exomount:

sgs-ii_exogear.jpg

Nokia CR-115:

sgs-ii_exogear_nokiacr115.jpg

Side by side:

sgs-ii_exogear_vs_nokiacr115.jpg

Official Samsung mount (right):

sgs-ii_exogear_trio1.jpg

sgs-ii_exogear_trio2.jpg

I think the soft suction cup lets the Exomount down because it's so prone to vibrations. I don't think it's been made for cars with sports suspension and tyres in mind because you will have vibration problems!

IMO it's like this, if you don't want to DIY yourself a top quality mount for under ?10 then get the Nokia CR-115, it's almost as sturdy and is built really nicely. If you have the budget though and don't mind the couple of shortfalls of the official Samsung one then get the official Samsung one as once it's on it won't move a single mm.

Top review, once again. (Y) I also think that the Nokia one looks better. I actually may replace my one with it.

I just bought a couple of cheapo holders for my cars from eBay a few weeks ago, and although they do the job, it is quite a squeeze getting my Galaxy S with its cover on in them.

EDIT: If this review had been made a few weeks ago ;), and if I had seen how cheap the CR-115 is, I would have bought a couple.

Top review, once again. (Y) I also think that the Nokia one looks better. I actually may replace my one with it.

I just bought a couple of cheapo holders for my cars from eBay a few weeks ago, and although they do the job, it is quite a squeeze getting my Galaxy S with its cover on in them.

EDIT: If this review had been made a few weeks ago ;), and if I had seen how cheap the CR-115 is, I would have bought a couple.

Thanks!

It's a really nice mount I have to say especially given the cost!

I just like how it seems to sit quite neatly against the dash.

Can the Exomount also go that low?

Unfortunately the exomount won't go that low.