Suggest me a simple Network Storage

I have failed myself big time in finding a decent alternative over ridiculously priced Time Capsule here.

My requirements:

1. Minimum 2 TB capacity. For Pure data storage only. Not for backups or any other complicated nonsense.

2. Could connect wireless or by ethernet cable with my NetGear DGND3300 ADSL Router on WiFi G or N network.

3. Simple plug and play setup where the drive shows up as networked drive under OSX Lion and Windows.

4. Do not want worthless features like remote access from anywhere or bloatware installs of custom software.

5. Budget Rs. 15000 or $330 or ?300

All the Seagate or Netgear network storage drives force you to register online to use the hardware and reviewers over at Amazon are moaning about their purchases.

Is there nothing that can fit such small requirement criteria?

Guys please suggest. I will be forever indebted.

Pretty much any nas would fit that bill, every one I have seen supports smb/cifs so you could map drive from windows/mac/linux etc.

Just because it comes with added features does not mean you have to use them. For example cheap one would be something like the qnap TS-110 would do what you want runs about $150 without a disk, put in your 2TB drive which you can pick up here in the states for like $70 and your well under your budget of $330

you an check out western digital live (something like that). i use it to store media files and backup, and i stream audio/video from it on all my computers as well as iphone. they may have 3TB now as well, mine is 2TB.

If you looking for sim nas to qnap you could check out Synology has quite a few budget options that would work as well, as the Western Digital line that would be Mybook live is what he meant I believe, here is link to their network storage lines

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/network/networkstorage/

Again I do not believe I have ever seen a nas product that did not support smb/cifs -- so pretty much any of them would fit your bill of requirements. But yeah I agree I would stay away from anything that wants you to install a device driver or something to access. Just look for smb/cifs support and you should be good to go.

Well, after checking all the negative reviews of WD storage on Amazon, I am back to square one. :(

See this is what my problem is. Not a single decent network storage provider?

''The Qnap is coming costly at Rs 15000 without hard drives. "

I always find it crazy how cost of electronics is worked out, it sure does not match conversion rates for sure. So that qnap is available here for $150

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822107037

$149.99

Now if you looking at the dual port TS-219P then yeah thats more like $300, but you never said anything about dual bay - so $150 and say $70 for your 2TB disk and your well under your $330 budget.

I do believe the qnap devices get great reviews!! And the Synology also get decent reviews. Both fall into your budget from pricing here in the use of $330 - well UNDER even with buying the disk separate

edit: Also you can just build one for good price as well. Do you have any old PCs laying around, does not have to be that new even. Then either just run your fav linux distro or one of the free nas distros, freenas (legacy - new version requires too much hardware), openfiler, unraid (free for 3 disks), etc. etc.

Check the 1-bay QNAP price here

Ebay prices are ridiculous. In India, online stores are very rare. Most people don't know what is NAS. Difficult times. :(

wow, it really does rank average on amazon. i'm worried if i should replace mine, lol...i'd hate to loose all that stuff.

you can look at lacie drives. they were ranked highly on amazon.

You could just build your own?

HP Microserver - $300

Decent raid card if you want speed - $600

4x 2TB Hard Drivers $400

you could use the onboard raid if speed isn't to much of an issue.

^ Raid is not important. Being on network and showing up as a simple networked drive on OSX Lion is most important.

^ Raid is not important. Being on network and showing up as a simple networked drive on OSX Lion is most important.

That's the easiest part! you can just create shortcuts to shares and have them mounted at start up.

Pretty much anything will do what you want it seems.

^^ Yay Drug Rehab

@ Holey - Read Seagate Black Armor 2 bay NAS reviews here

Reviews are polarized. I mentioned about not going for Seagate in my first post.

Well if you don't have anywhere you can get a good price on nas because nobody buys them, etc... then you much better off just building your own out of old computer parts. **** I have stuff just laying around here I could put a simple nas together with. Again it does not have to be a rocketship, you have an old P3 laying around - work fine as a nas box.

As to the lacie drives -- NO NO NO!! We just had a thread awhile back where guy been spending weeks trying to move his files from one to another, thing could barely do 3MBps and it suppose to have gig nics, etc.

Ordered QNAP TS-212 for Rs. 14000 + 900 Octroi :(. It was just posted today on ebay. It's has 2 bays and I will put my existing 2 TB drive in it. I can add a second drive in future for expanding the storage.

The reviews are 95% positive everywhere and I don't mind paying Rs. 3-4k more than US UK brethren if the thing just works.

Well that qnap clearly has WAY more features than you were requesting.. But yeah they do get lots of good reviews, I think you should be happy with it. Let us know!

Thanks a lot guys. Never knew companies like QNAP existed. I will report my review soon. We can still continue the NAS discussion here.